Cummins question

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I just purchased a 2006 3500 quad cab Cummins. I bought it from a large dealer in my area but they didn't have any information on what had been done to the truck by previous owner. The salesman said the guy had talked about how much money he spent on parts and so forth and when I asked what was done he said he didn't remember since he didn't know anything about diesel trucks... I see it has an Air dog system on it and what appears to be a 4 inch exhaust. No clue if it was programmed or not and what other mods may have been made. Runs great, doesn't shoot black smoke out when you get on it like a lot of these guys do. The on board lie meter shows around 15.8 MPG around town. Seems a little lower than what I was expecting. When I had my 2500 I got around that pulling my camper. Any way to find out what all has been added (other than finding previous owner) and does the mileage sound right? :confused:

Take it back to the dealer and have them put on their computer. And they shouldn't charge you, the salesman was implying it was modified.

Charlie

TRACTION

Adventurer
I'd recommend a reflash as well. Take it back to the dealer and have them flash it with the latest program. If by chance your rig is a CA emissions rig you're due for a program recall anyways, if the dealer didn't already do it. If they did their service dept will have a record of it.

At that point it's just a physical inspection of the rig to look for non-OEM parts. Obviously you can't look for engine or transmission internals but you can kind of assume that if any of that was done they'd be an improvement over OEM.

You can also check with Dodge customer service on their website to get the list of what your truck came with from the factory. I can't seem to find the link to the place to do it but look around and you'll find it.

A good resource for your rig is cumminsforum.com as well. Pretty much any problem or question I've had with my rig, I've been able to orient myself on with that forum. Not as pleasant as Expedition Portal but definitely useful.

16mpg is pretty typical around town if that's actually what you're getting. Hand calculate your next tank and if it's lower than that you might have some indication that something else is wrong and/or engine modifications to "look" for.

Enjoy your new truck. You'll be surprised at the places it'll take you. It's fun to run around and have Jeep people look at you funny in your full sized rig. That and the range you'll get per tank puts most rigs to shame.

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
Awesome! Thanks so much. I would prefer it to be mostly stock and not any "high performance" crap added that will cause me problems but will find out soon enough. Love the Cummins, regretted selling my last one. I was thinking adding some Truck Nutz would really make this one stand out.

JUST KIDDING!!!:hehe:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I think the best place is to join and Dodge Cummins site. They can tell you what to look for, where to look for it and the pros and cons of said mod.
Darrell

TRACTION

Adventurer
I would prefer it to be mostly stock and not any "high performance" crap added that will cause me problems

That's my strategy as well give or take a few mods for reliability and mileage. I'd keep the AirDog as that's a proven upgrade for reliability. My 07 fuel pump was already showing really low pressure so I went the AirDog route as well.

poriggity

Explorer
To me, the mileage sounds about right... At least as far as what the overhead should read. Sounds like a nice truck otherwise.
Scott

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
As far as the Air Dog system goes, the filters seem to hang down a bit under the frame, anyone have a problem on trails with these? I don't do any hard core wheeling, but just was concerned since I have no experience or knowledge with these...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
No clue if it was programmed or not

My worst friggen nightmare about buying a used diesel truck! I love the old 12 valves for the fact that you can't chip 'em. You can do a heap of other stuff, but you can't chip it, abuse it, and then take the controller out to sell it as "stock".

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If it had a Smarty on it,the dealer won't be able to tell you if it had one. It's invisible even to the point of retaining key starts. If it had an Edge or other plug and play,some Velcro or glue residue will be visible on the fuse box.

A Smarty or Smarty Jr. on the lower settings is hard to resist once you've experienced one. Timing is advanced slightly and fueling is down much lower. The lower settings won't kill the auto or stock clutch with some common sense. EGT's drop 150* also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier