Aluminum M416-style trailer?

TBS

Observer
I can draw up a quick mach up tub in Solidworks. When that is done, I can change the material and sheet thickness and material type. Within a matter of minutes you can find the weight difference between each pound for pound.

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
the bad thing about Aluminum frames is unless they are re-heat treated they will crack over time on washboard roads and other rough conditions.

Our trailers are not that bad on weight, I would rather have something that is a bit over built and will last, then under built.

We pull our full loaded trailer with our jk running 37's with no issues.

Jeep2.0

Observer
the bad thing about Aluminum frames is unless they are re-heat treated they will crack over time on washboard roads and other rough conditions.

Our trailers are not that bad on weight, I would rather have something that is a bit over built and will last, then under built.

We pull our full loaded trailer with our jk running 37's with no issues.

I like your trailers, but sorry, I don't buy the "under built" comment just because Aluminum is used.

"Under-engineered" may be more common with shop-built stuff, and Aluminum may be harder to engineer well, but I don't buy "under built" at all with Aluminum. Heck - I'm getting on an Aluminum airplane tomorrow!

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
I like your trailers, but sorry, I don't buy the "under built" comment just because Aluminum is used.

"Under-engineered" may be more common with shop-built stuff, and Aluminum may be harder to engineer well, but I don't buy "under built" at all with Aluminum. Heck - I'm getting on an Aluminum airplane tomorrow!

I just sold our 30 year family General Aviation business 2 years ago, so I know the aviation business very well.

I'm not saying Aluminum trailer is under built.
Just saying a all aluminum trailer, including the frame that will be strong for many years will not be 50% lighter then a steel trailer. Lighter yes, just remember Aluminium construction that is built properly with cost 25% more then steel to build it right.....we have been looking into it.

Last edited:

Captain K-man

Adventurer
The only thing I know about Aluminum is from specking out fire trucks for my FD. Aluminum is the last thing my Fire Department gets for fire truck bodies. Lately we have been going Poly 1st, Different types of steel 2nd, 3rd & 4th choice and Aluminum last because of Aluminum failing and stress fractures occurring with very low mileage but, lots of idle time on the truck.

Jeep2.0

Observer
I just sold our 30 year family General Aviation business 2 years ago, so I know the aviation business very well.

I'm not saying Aluminum trailer is under built.
Just saying a all aluminum trailer, including the frame that will be strong for many years will not be 50% lighter then a steel trailer. Lighter yes, just remember Aluminium construction that is built properly with cost 25% more then steel to build it right.....we have been looking into it.

OK - fair enough. I'm no structural engineer - electrical yes, but not structural. I don't know if it's 50% lighter, 37.9876% lighter, etc. I don't know if an all aluminum frame is the way to go or not. All I'm saying is that today's vehicles have a lot less extra power laying around doing nothing, and their owners pay a lot of money for them (and they include a bunch of aluminum & composites in places where there was once only steel). I'd think the trailer space would be weight conscious as well...?

Broncbuster

I had a aluminum trailer I used for a short time. It was a 4x6 with 16" high sides. The trailer did not pull well at all. Using a 2500lb axle it bounced all over the road empty and you had to keep some weight on the tongue to keep it from swaying. When I built mine I was torn between aluminum and steel. After using the Aluminum one for a few weeks I went with steel.

If you have a power problem I would address that. Gears, programmers etc IMHO would be the way to go.

Jeep2.0

Observer
I had a aluminum trailer I used for a short time. It was a 4x6 with 16" high sides. The trailer did not pull well at all. Using a 2500lb axle it bounced all over the road empty and you had to keep some weight on the tongue to keep it from swaying. When I built mine I was torn between aluminum and steel. After using the Aluminum one for a few weeks I went with steel.

If you have a power problem I would address that. Gears, programmers etc IMHO would be the way to go.

Empty light trailers bouncing is a good point.
I'm addressing the power limitations other ways - that's for another thread (but there's no replacement for displacement :ylsmoke:) But this thread is about lightweight well designed offroad trailers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles