Aluminum M416-style trailer?

Jeep2.0

Observer
I'm looking for a nice trailer for behind the Jeep. Initially, to be used for cargo (i.e. tent, ice chest, etc). If my kids like it well enough, I'll add a RTT & make it a full-on expo trailer, one step at a time.

Sierra trailers builds my favorite steel one - it's available wider to match my JK. I also like the hood props inside the tub, tire size options, etc. They're proud of it once you trick it all out, but I can work up to that.

Decent (i.e. no rot) M416's are hard to come by w/o being a body man.

These are all heavier than my anemic little V6 can handle in the mountains gracefully, even with new gears.

Does anyone build a M416-style aluminum trailer?

I've found the Box style trailers. I'm looking for a M416 style. I've searched but not found anything.

TBS

Observer
I have considered building this exact thing....

After all, the most desired part of the 416's is the tub, but it is also the part of the trailer that is usually in the worst shape....

Drop me a PM and we can chat...

compactcamping

Explorer
Don't know of any "production" ones available.

Here is one modeled on a M416, same width but only 5' long, that I had a local fab shop make the bed out of brite-plate for me a while back. Look for a local aluminum fab shop.

i63775854-F7C6-4E96-B375-5B3B7936AC0A.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Don't know of any "production" ones available.

Here is one modeled on a M416, same width but only 5' long, that I had a local fab shop make the bed out of brite-plate for me a while back. Look for a local aluminum fab shop.

i63775854-F7C6-4E96-B375-5B3B7936AC0A.jpg

Any details on that tent you are using on your trailer?

JeepFreak21

Observer
I don't have any info on aluminum trailer tubs, but here's some food for thought...

I'm in the middle of building a "M416 style" trailer that is 4' x 6' and it's made out of 14 gauge sheet metal (mild steel) and what framing I have to build is 1" x 1" x .065" box tube. I don't have fenders yet, but the basic tub weighs 200lbs and the lid weighs 150lbs. I might have persued an aluminum tub when Is started building mine, but I wanted to be able to weld to it with my mig as it is. After doing the math, I'm really pleasantly surprised at how little it weighs.

Good luck,
Billy

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Ya, an aluminum tub isn't going to make that much difference in towing ability. An entire aluminum trailer isn't going to either. An M-416 doesn't weight that much to begin with. IMO you're barking up the wrong tree in thinking this will solve your towing issues.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I don't have any info on aluminum trailer tubs, but here's some food for thought...

I'm in the middle of building a "M416 style" trailer that is 4' x 6' and it's made out of 14 gauge sheet metal (mild steel) and what framing I have to build is 1" x 1" x .065" box tube. I don't have fenders yet, but the basic tub weighs 200lbs and the lid weighs 150lbs. I might have persued an aluminum tub when Is started building mine, but I wanted to be able to weld to it with my mig as it is. After doing the math, I'm really pleasantly surprised at how little it weighs.

Good luck,
Billy

Between the required welder and cost of materials, you probably would have spent triple what you did building the same project. Aluminum is light and never rusts, but also dents easier and costs more.

JeepFreak21

Observer
Yeah, good points and it's harder to bend/form.

I don't know what gauge aluminum you'd have to go with without building frame for the sides and everything, but I doubt there would be much savings.

Billy

Jeep2.0

Observer
Well...

...interesting opinions, thoughts & ideas. But it doesn't sound like anyone has any data one way or the other...? The steel tub weights are interesting & a good data point. (I assume they were weighed & not guesstimated??)

There are no issues - just want to put weight where it needs to be (axles, body armor, roll cage) and not where it doesn't do any good to anyone (trailer tub, jeep top).

There's got to be somebody that has done this & knows the weight difference. It may not matter - but I'd sure like to see some real-life numbers before throwing in the towel.

JeepFreak21

Observer
...interesting opinions, thoughts & ideas. But it doesn't sound like anyone has any data one way or the other...? The steel tub weights are interesting & a good data point. (I assume they were weighed & not guesstimated??)

I calculated the weights by measuring the size/lengths of all the materials and looking up the weight per inch. If you know the thickness of the aluminum you would likely use, you can post it up and I'll tell you what my trailer would weigh if it were made out of your materials.

Billy

Jeep2.0

Observer
I calculated the weights by measuring the size/lengths of all the materials and looking up the weight per inch. If you know the thickness of the aluminum you would likely use, you can post it up and I'll tell you what my trailer would weigh if it were made out of your materials.

Billy

NOW we're talkin! :wings:

I wouldn't know the thickness of the AL to use. I would think .125 would be too thick & .060 maybe too thin or in the ballpark? Any tubing for strength around the lip would change out too. Let's use .090 to start & see where that takes us.

Thanks a ton.

compactcamping

Explorer
My aluminum box used 11ga (.120) Brite Plate, there was right at 55 sq ft of material in it, 11ga is about 1.8 lbs per sq ft, it weighed right at 100 lbs. Folded and welded butt joint corners. The rooftop tent was mounted to a steel frame above the bed. The whole trailer with 2x2 11ga steel frame, 235/15 tires & wheels and tent unit was about 440 lbs.

JeepFreak21

Observer
NOW we're talkin! :wings:

I wouldn't know the thickness of the AL to use. I would think .125 would be too thick & .060 maybe too thin or in the ballpark? Any tubing for strength around the lip would change out too. Let's use .090 to start & see where that takes us.

Thanks a ton.

Well, 14ga steel is 0.0781" but 14ga aluminum is a little thinner at 0.0641". I would have thought that the aluminum would need to be thicker than the steel if building the trailer with the same structure.

As far as the frame goes, I bet you could use the same 1" x 1" x .065" aluminum. I've got 1" x 1" framing the top of the trailer as well as the lid where it meets the tub. I've also got 1" x 1" in 5 cross members inside the lid allowing it to hold the weight of my tent and everything.

So... if you used 14ga aluminum, the tub would weight an incredible 58lbs! And the lid would weight 45lbs!

I think 14ga aluminum might be a little thin though, so I ran it again with 10ga which is 0.1019" thick, which brought the tub and the lid up to 85lbs and 63lbs respectively.

So, depending on what thickness you could use there is a significant amount of weight that could be saved! I'd still take the steel for it's weldability and it's lower cost, but I didn't realize just how light the aluminum would be.

HTH,
Billy

Jeep2.0

Observer
Well, 14ga steel is 0.0781" but 14ga aluminum is a little thinner at 0.0641". I would have thought that the aluminum would need to be thicker than the steel if building the trailer with the same structure.

As far as the frame goes, I bet you could use the same 1" x 1" x .065" aluminum. I've got 1" x 1" framing the top of the trailer as well as the lid where it meets the tub. I've also got 1" x 1" in 5 cross members inside the lid allowing it to hold the weight of my tent and everything.

So... if you used 14ga aluminum, the tub would weight an incredible 58lbs! And the lid would weight 45lbs!

I think 14ga aluminum might be a little thin though, so I ran it again with 10ga which is 0.1019" thick, which brought the tub and the lid up to 85lbs and 63lbs respectively.

So, depending on what thickness you could use there is a significant amount of weight that could be saved! I'd still take the steel for it's weldability and it's lower cost, but I didn't realize just how light the aluminum would be.

HTH,
Billy

Wow. That's some savings. 10 gauge sounds about right too. (FWIW). Now I'm really interested!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94