Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driving across the U.S. all summer with two teens (in our little Honda Civic)

Quote Originally Posted by rayhyland View Post
    Have fun, and maybe we will see you on the road somewhere. If you see a big black Defender 110 with 5 people and a big dog hanging out the windows, be sure to wave.
    I am not sure the number of people in the defender would readily impact whether or not I waved. Of course I always wave at big dogs. LOL

Mike and Myles

Great for gas but the lack of space will really make this less enjoyable than it should. Even if you overnight in hotels, it will still be a chore. We manage to fill up a midsize car in 4 days. 2 people and 2 dogs. Most of it is stuff we buy on the road and once you begin unpacking, it never quite gets packed as tight as you wish

Car trips were the reason these where and are made.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

Or if you can find an old one.

http://www.singlewheel.com/

I am sure there are people here that can build one.

Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Great for gas but the lack of space will really make this less enjoyable than it should. Even if you overnight in hotels, it will still be a chore. We manage to fill up a midsize car in 4 days. 2 people and 2 dogs. Most of it is stuff we buy on the road and once you begin unpacking, it never quite gets packed as tight as you wish
    FWIW, we drove cross-country and camped out of a Festiva with 2 dudes, a dog, and all of our gear inside the car, and had an absolute blast. Our fun was so contagious that a girl took a liking to my buddy and decided to join us, even with 3 folks and the dog we still had a good time. On the way back, I met a girl who decided to join us too but that's a story for another time....

goes without saying there is always room for a girl

when i say dog im talking 2 130lbs dogs each with its own suitcase (food, meds, supplies, toys). yeah, we dont travel light.

ps. no roof rack on the car though which makes all the difference. had a blast too but i was crying at that one roadsite store where i couldnt buy all the deli i wanted due to lack of a fridge (or space to put fridge in). aaaaah!!

if i left luggage management to my misses we could do it in a versa with stuff piled up to the sun visor of the front windshield. but you mileage can vary

I've done Milwaukee, WI to Portland, OR and back in a Civic, a Suzuki SX4, and a Scion xB (one way in that vehicle). Small cars definitely pose a challenge when packing. I've also traveled with four rommates from St. Paul, MN to Corpus Christi, TX (and back) in a Nissan Sentra on spring break in college. That was a bit tight.

- Andy

Default I'm already a member of couchsurfing!

I'm glad you actually reminded me of it. I totally forgot about them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123