Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian Trailer Envy

Default Australian Trailer Envy

I know many of us look at the Australian made trailers and marvel over the choice of manufacturers and design. I wonder if the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I thought I'd share an e mail I got from OZ so you can see that the grass may be greener on both sides of the fence:

"Hi there. You guys should be selling your expedition trailers over here in australia. I dont know if the shipping costs would prohibit it but Im sure you could find a manafacturer over here. In australia the camper trailer industry is booming, buy any of the camper trailer magazines and youll see dozens and dozens of ads for what is essentially the same thing. A tent on a trailer. Obviously they all differ slightly, some have fold out hard floors, some have hotwater systems, some have ( I kid you not ) over 50 sq metres under canvas with rooms that just keep getting adding on. Im guessing they are for people with very large families who are staying put for a while when they camp. I counted over 25 tie down ropes on one tent setup once.

The only reason I'm emailling you now is that I was looking around for ideas for our project trailer at home. Which is essentially a box trailer ( I think you call them a chuck box ) with a steel and aluminium frame on top with a roof top tent on top of that. We are building it ourselves though. I just did an image search in google and your trailers caught my eye. They look fantastic and would be well suited to travelling in australia because as you know we are quite a large island and the distances are great. Most road trips to say cape york or the interior deserts are a series of overnight stops which require quick and easy setups. Most australian camper trailers are not quick and easy to setup and packdown despite what they say, they also have a large footprint when the whole tent is setup.

Basically what Im saying is your trailers look hardcore and I honestly think there is a market for them here in australia. They are very different to whats on the market here.

Take it easy

regards

Not the first e mail we have had from Australia, but it sums up what others have said.

I have been contemplating on buying one of your trailers for a long time, there just isn't anything here like it. Small and highly capable offroad.
    Our market is getting flooded by Chinese imports. You can bow buy a hard floor camper for about $6000 on ebay, But I dont think you would want to take one of these across the Simpson.
    With the way the Australian dollar is going it is making your trailers a lot more attractive, not to mention the JK Habitat.
    Like the email said, its the shipping costs that make it unattractive, not your trailers.
    So keep up the good work
    cheers Mark
    2008 JKU AEV Modded
    AEV BRUTE
    Offroad Trailer

Martin, as I study the Aussie trailers, they seem to be designed either for larger families and or longer stays. Once deployed, I'd sure want enjoy for a few nights. The state-built trailers seem to be more suited for less people, and to be set up rapidly. Perhaps the sutle difference between camping and overlanding?

Have you ever studied how your trailers get used?
    Rolling Photog in Phx, Az
    2008 Quigley e-150
    Expo Utility Trailer Build

Your trailers are cool, Martyn, and I'm a fan.

But the Glamper has so many fine choices in Oz...

Dare I dream?

Safety fast,
    Bill

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    - Jim Carrey

KM4EIZ

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    Your trailers are cool, Martyn, and I'm a fan.

But the Glamper has so many fine choices in Oz...

Dare I dream?

Yeah, that would be perfect for me and how I camp...... anybody want to trad one for a Jumping Jack camper...lol

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many of those Aussie trailers (that would accomodate a family of ~ 4) usually cost around 70-80 grand?
    I know they seem to be built very well and likely last an owner a good number of years, but at that price a bit tough to get yourself into...
    I wish I could remember where I left my keys...

I find the most fascinating theme of this 'sport' ( and I mean the 'sport' of planning and scheming and surfing the internet while I should be working) is finding the balance between all the tradeoffs.

Quality vs Economy
    Comfort vs compact size
    Features vs easy of setup
    Custom vs over-the-counter
    Home built vs dealership
    New vs used

If a person had an unlimited budget and didn't want to leave pavement a Prevost bus conversion might be the answer.

If a person had a small budget and wanted to camp at Rubicon Springs, a rusty M416 would be good.

Most of us are trying to figure you where we fit between the extremes. I'm somewhat surprised at how many people are moving away from the RTT and getting into trailers. Also people are getting out of small trailers and into larger ones. I think that folks are finding that mobility isn't the most important consideration.

This thread strikes a chord with me because I'm expanding my trailer and I'm looking at those Australian 'tent cities' with a view to use it for a hunting camp in the fall/winter instead of an outfitter tent but still have quick setup and takedown times for the rest of the year.
    Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser Association TLCA # 5513
    '04HZJ79 (project), '91HDJ81, '87BJ74, '04 Kamparoo and a Dodge
    Paved roads are another example of needless government overspending.

It would be nice to have a couple different trailers depending on the type of event. As above they all have some type of limitation whether it be comfort at the simple end (relative though ) or heavy and high priced with more limited travel destinations at the other...

I'll tell ya though: I love my KK Sports RV! Although it won't go down the likes of Hole in the Rock Trail I've taken it into some fairly rugged terrain. Having said that I would if $ and space allowed also have a <1500lb Kamparoo, like Ali has, for tougher/more challenging terrain. And above all: There are just times any trailer is more of a hassle than they're worth.
    1999 Toyota 100-Series Land Cruiser: Adventure rig
    2009 Kimberly Sports RV: Sold
    2006 Adventure Trailers Horizon: Sold

Quote Originally Posted by loren85022 View Post
    Martin, as I study the Aussie trailers, they seem to be designed either for larger families and or longer stays. Once deployed, I'd sure want enjoy for a few nights. The state-built trailers seem to be more suited for less people, and to be set up rapidly. Perhaps the sutle difference between camping and overlanding?
    Interesting point, it may have something to do with culture and the terrain that is being explored.

Personally, if I can not break camp in less than five minutes I start to feel trapped.
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Adam Blaster View Post
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many of those Aussie trailers (that would accomodate a family of ~ 4) usually cost around 70-80 grand?
    I know they seem to be built very well and likely last an owner a good number of years, but at that price a bit tough to get yourself into...
    They are a lot less then that for something that is good .

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast