Australian Trailer Envy

rockman

Adventurer
I've never seen one of the Adventure Trailers first hand and while there may not be anything as small as the Chaser or anything like the Teardrop there are plenty of simpler trailers very similar to the Horizon, although generally just a little bigger which is what the market wants.

I spent 2 years looking at, I believe, every commerically produced camper trailer on the Australian market plus consider custom built before buying my Tvan. IMO the Conquerer UEV-330 is a similar concept and there's a company in VIC IIRC called Bulloak (can't find their web site ATM) which has several models which are very similar. They're just two that I can recall right now, there's several more.

I'm not saying AT couldn't find a market here as I believe they could, but anyone who thinks there's not similar products already here haven't looked hard enough. Too many people just go to the big camping shows and see the array of fold out box trailers with the tent on top and think that's pretty much all there is. There's actually a huge array of designs and ideas around, many just aren't marketed well so people aren't aware of them.

Bulloak went broke .

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi,
We have a Track Eagle (AUS MADE) man that is one of the toughest built small trailer i have ever seen. We looked at heaps of trailers for off road use and i could not find any at the right price and the right duty then we found the track Eagle on ebay Sydney drove down from Brissy and picked it up a few years ago.
Only time it has let us down was the the off road hitch after being on the beach for a week seized up and applied the hydraulic on softly and worn out the brake shoes but that was my fault for not greasing the nipples on the hitch. I always learn by my mistakes lol lol

apsilon

Observer
Didn't know about Bulloak closing shop. They seemed to have a decent product and some good design ideas. I looked at the market very closely and actually missed them as they just didn't advertise at all from what I could tell so I found them almost by accident. Given their products appeared decent and the booming camper trailer market you'd think it would've been a success but I guess it just shows you can't sell something if people don't know about it.

corrupt

Observer
You will find that the name brand Aus camping trailers cost so much is because they are made to be used mainly weeks on end, not a week here and there. We have very very few motor homes in Aus just vans and trailers because all of the good stuff doesnt have paved roads leading to it.......thats why its still good.

indiedog

Adventurer
Interesting discussion. I agree with many of the comments here. I myself contacted AT about 5 years ago looking at the idea of importing a Chaser. I liked it because it was different to what we have here and I was seduced by the shape and look. I didn't as it just wasn't worth the dollars after importing. To be honest, and this is no disrespect to AT, I'm glad I didn't as I now know better what I want out of a trailer and the Chaser just wouldn't have done it. I actually now prefer the Horizon over the Chaser as the available space is much better utilized. The layout is still not what I want and the small tents don't suit a larger family.

As Apsilon said there are heaps of options around locally IF you go looking for them. Certainly the most common, and budget oriented design, is the typical side fold big canvas tent. They do take a while to set up and take down but when you are on a budget, something has to give. Many of the rear folds, such as the KK are brilliant on setup time if only for a quick stopover and as Brad (Tucson TR4) can attest they can be added to to make a tent city! :Wow1: The Tvan also sets up in a couple of minutes.

As I've now got 3 young kids, set up time is crucial and we want beds, beds, beds. We can't get away for extended periods but are planning on a month next year in Tassie. We ended up buying a Jayco Dove Outback and are loving it as it just suits our needs CURRENTLY. In the 5 months we've had it we get away for a long weekend every month at least and that's the best thing you can hope for. I know it's not expedition material but in reality a true off track expedition isn't going to happen frequently or soon.

It's true that many new players just make the same as the others do and no doubt the weak won't make it. Those who improve their designs and product will. I'd also say that the majority of camper trailer purchasers are "non-thinkers" and just buy what's "normal" and are happy with it. Those who engage in this forum are "thinkers" and in the minority. I still have intentions to build my own design and hopefully it'll be a true offroad beasty with quick setup and everything where I want it.

Camper Trailer Australia Magazine do some great reviews and rate all campers on setup times, bushability, family friendliness, and other things. Worth chasing down if you want to find some variety and know what suits your needs.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
indiedog I couldn't agree with your thought process more. Buying the right trailer for your own unique needs is key, and then outfitting the trailer correctly comes in as a close second. Sometimes the customer doesn't really know what they need so rather than selling them everything including the kitchen sink we try to explore this aspect with them.

We spend a lot of time finding out how a potential customer intends to use the trailer, how many people will be going on trips, for how long and what level of comfort they need. Apart from telling them what they need we also tell them what they don't need, or recommend they go on a few trips before deciding if they need something.

We frequently turn down or refer sales to other companies because the customer has requirements we can't meet, or their usage of the trailer wouldn't be money well spent. After talking to a customer recently I referred them over to a company a friend of ours owns as they would be best suited to an on road trailer. My rational was our chassis and suspension was going to cost them as much as a pop up trailer and I just couldn't justify the expense given their usage.

While every company hates to see a lost sale in the end it's more about having a happy customer.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We frequently turn down or refer sales to other companies because the customer has requirements we can't meet, or their usage of the trailer wouldn't be money well spent.
Integrity is a beautiful thing, Martyn.
Don't ever change that ethic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles