New BFG AT's kinda suck

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
1. BFG introduced new Load Range E (LRE) versions of both the LT265/75R16 and LT285/75R16. These versions were developed specifically for use in heavy mining applications. To help them better handle the rigors of heavy mining operations they had to remove some of the siping, and therefore they do not carry the Snowflake.

Huh? Granted it has been a few years, but I don't recall ever seeing any passenger tires working in mining or heavy mining. The siping was removed, yes? for consumer towing applications.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Huh? Granted it has been a few years, but I don't recall ever seeing any passenger tires working in mining or heavy mining. The siping was removed, yes? for consumer towing applications.

Actually it was for mining, according to BFG, although they didn't say what mine they were being used in.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
BFG does not list a 265/75R16 AT in load range D. If they did, I would consider buying them!

They say they do offer it, but they didn't say where it was offered Ryan. If you like, I can ask them where you can order it from.

Send me a PM if you do, as I forget to check the threads sometimes.

Cheers

Ray

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Originally Posted by pskhaat

Actually it was for mining, according to BFG, although they didn't say what mine they were being used in.
Ray Hyland
www.expeditionportal.com

Whether or not it is exactly true, it's common to hear tire retailers (& manufacturers too it seems) to refer to mining & forestry as two industries that are very hard on tires off-highway, and for which heavy-duty tires are designed.

4x4mike

Adventurer
Hey everyone, I found the questions on the thread and all the different answers (especially the different responses people were getting from the tire shops) very interesting so I went directly to BFGoodrich to ask for clarification on behalf of all the ExPo members, and I learned a couple of very interesting things:

1. BFG introduced new Load Range E (LRE) versions of both the LT265/75R16 and LT285/75R16. These versions were developed specifically for use in heavy mining applications. To help them better handle the rigors of heavy mining operations they had to remove some of the siping, and therefore they do not carry the Snowflake.
BFG still offers the LT265/75R16 and LT285/75R16 in a Load Range D (LRD) WITH the snowflake.

If you can find a load range D in a 265-75-16 you're doing good. I'd bet you won't find them. I called over 20 places looking for a D in 265-75-16. I found none. They are not in stores, trucks, warehouses, online, etc. If they make them they sell them somewhere else.

To your above response it is not entirely correct. I ended up buying LRE but I got them with the 3 peak snowflake. There are different versions of all tires and I had to do my research. From my post on page 2: "I checked mine last night and I have the 265/75/16 - 123/120S. I ALSO have the siping and snowflake. It looks like it was the 123Q of this size that lost the features."

Hope this helps for folks looking for tires.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion

..alright, fair enough :) I've worked at a few mines years ago, never seen a BFG unless they were on the workers' trucks driving up to the office on the paved road. I'm not hatin' got BFGs myself, but will certainly ensure I get some siped tires when new ones are to be purchased.

srch4me

Adventurer
i got my bfg at k/o tires less than a year ago and they work great in the snow. they have the snowflake and are sipped very well. thats all stock on the tire... mine are 235/75r15

Zam15

Explorer
Just picked up five 285/75R16 "E" and they are missing the snowflake. I rememeber I had an issue with my last set of BFG A/Ts chunking but with the less sippes I believe they may help reduce that issue... :snorkel: It was just a thought.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip..........but with the less sippes I believe they may help reduce that issue... :snorkel: It was just a thought.

Probably so, siping provides an edge for grip but also a foothold for tearing and damage to the tread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior