Fridge Question: Waeco CF50 Vs. Waeco CF80

kingpin748

So I have narrowed down my fridge selection to a Waeco based on price. I don't want to go too expensive as I have yet to see how much use it will see. I also don't want to go too cheap since a busted-*** fridge will turn around a 3 day trip in the bush pretty quick. I settled on one of these two models and the question is really just size.

Waeco CF50 weighing in at 44lbs, H19" x l25" x W14", and 50 quarts -

Waeco CF80 weighing in at 65lbs, H18" x L31" x W20", and 80 quarts -

Here are some bad photos to give you an idea of the size the units will take up.

Waeco CF80

de12776a.jpg

625a1498.jpg

Waeco CF50

50dff8d5.jpg

04d31428.jpg

I've also considered the Waeco CF60 but the extra size is all height(4") as it's got the same footprint as the CF50. I'm concerned about getting into it since I won't be mounting the fridge on a slide.

I feel like I want the extra fridge space but I've made due with a 50quart cooler half full of ice for years. The CF80 will basically take up half of the cargo area.

hoser

Explorer
Based on what you've said, I'd say get the CF-50. The CF-60 is not very common and I would think it would be more difficult to get a good deal on it. Be advised, the Waeco fridges seem to be sensitive to voltage loss and so you might need to rewire power to the rear rather than use the OEM outlet. Also, the "cig" plug that comes with the Waeco isn't very good. I'd chop it off and put on a better plug/connection. Other than that, it is a good fridge.

Ash

Adventurer
An 80 is very large, and less efficient. If you don't have a good dual battery and/or a lot of solar, go the smaller fridge. 50 Q of fridge space is a lot, 80 Q is boarderline ridiculous. Different story if you splitting fridge/freezer space...

kingpin748

Based on what you've said, I'd say get the CF-50. The CF-60 is not very common and I would think it would be more difficult to get a good deal on it. Be advised, the Waeco fridges seem to be sensitive to voltage loss and so you might need to rewire power to the rear rather than use the OEM outlet. Also, the "cig" plug that comes with the Waeco isn't very good. I'd chop it off and put on a better plug/connection. Other than that, it is a good fridge.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to run a dedicated wire anyways.

An 80 is very large, and less efficient. If you don't have a good dual battery and/or a lot of solar, go the smaller fridge. 50 Q of fridge space is a lot, 80 Q is boarderline ridiculous. Different story if you splitting fridge/freezer space...

80 does seem larger than my family needs right now. I guess I just liked the idea of the larger space but it doesn't seem worthwhile.

I do have dual battery setup though. A solar setup would be fun but I'm not sure how useful it would be for me up here in Alberta with the camping I do. Thanks for the input.

mandm1516

I had a CF-35 and now have the CF-80. I love it but it is big. I pack the bottom with frozen water bottles when I don't need the extra room which fills the empty space and keeps it more efficient. I have a big solar panel with solar controller that shows instant amps in vs. amps out--when the fridge motor is running it was consistently at 4.7 amps out (probably the same with the 50 but the motor would run more on the 80 if you had dead air inside). but at night I'd turn the temp on the fridge to 40 and didn't see any signs it even came on--with nighttime temps of around 65 degrees, the fridge was still showing around 32 in the mornings without using an insulating cover.

So far the 12v cable with cig lighter plug has been great--no signs that it would try to work loose, and I have mine mounted to the rear tailgate of a trailer where it's probbaly getting bounced around as much as anywhere.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I bought an ARB 50. I thought it was a little too small once I got it. I was wrong. Ice and water took up a lot more space than I thought and with out it the food packs a lot neater and tighter. Warm drinks can also be added as the cold ones get depleted saving even more space. A thing to also consider is the weight. Once full even the ARB 50 is almost a two man job. It's even hefty when empty. Go with the 50.

kingpin748

Thanks for your opinions guys. I went with the CF50 and it arrived today. I'm happy with the size and build quality looks great. I'll mount it this week and run a dedicated wire for it.

87c6783e.jpg

3af83b73.jpg

5e24f44e.jpg

Nikson

Explorer
how did you go about purchasing it? local store/online?

thanks...

p.s. how you liking it so far? :)

kingpin748

how did you go about purchasing it? local store/online?

thanks...

p.s. how you liking it so far? :)

I've used it three times so far. Twice on 3 day camping trips and 1 on a trip out to the cabin. It was great on the camping trips. All that wasted space that use to be taken up by ice is usable now and no need to worry about soggy items. You definitely have to learn how to pack them though as you don't want to be digging to the bottom every time you want something.

The cabin trip was fantastic since I was able to transport all my food out there. Once I was there I moved all the food into the cabin fridge, plugged in the Waeco inside the house and used it as a beer fridge. You can keep those beers well below what you would have in a fridge your sharing with food.

I've got a week long trip coming up. I couldn't imagine not having one now. Seems like a giant pain in the ***.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior