265/75-16 tires on 16x6 wheels

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
My tires are currently on 16x8 80 series Land Cruiser wheels and I would like to buy some 70 series Land Cruiser steel wheels which are 16x6. I am wondering if 16x6 is too narrow. Thoughts?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Yes, and BFG recommends the same for their tires as well. I guess I am looking for real world experience. I suppose most people would run a 235/85-16, but I am wanting to keep my current tires since they are new.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Might be okay, but 6" is a very narrow wheel for a 265/75. 7" is already on the narrow end, 7.5" being about standard. I would be less concerned about 6.5", but 6"?

Also depends on how much you plan to air down. When running 1/2" too narrow a wheel per the specs with 285/75R16 tires (7" instead of min. recommended 7.5") I didn't care for the way the tires were on the the wheels, particularly when aired down for off highway travel.

bfdiesel

Explorer
you can run it on that rim but the tire may wear funny and will look more rounded. A 255/85 or 235/85 work good on this narrow of a rim.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
7" is the recommended minimum rim width for that tire size according to the "TIRE AND RIM ASSOCIATION" so, your rims are too narrow.

In recent years, improper tire to rim fitment has become a lawyers dream come true of big $$$$$$$$$ in litigation. However, tires and rims rated at a greater load rating than manufactures are ok, lower than manufactures recommended load rate brings liability.

If you go from a "e" rated tire to a "d" load rated tire which exceeds your "e" rated value keep the load rate data in your records, not all "D" rated tires exceed "E" load rate so be sure before you create a liability for yourself.

Wheels have load ratings too, 5, 6, 8 lug wheels are not all created equal be sure when upgrading, upfitting, or whatever.

Bogo

Adventurer
Going to a to narrow of rim adds flex to the tire that normally isn't there. I've heard of a number of cases where wide tires were put on to narrow of a rim with the result being tire tread delamination at regular highway speeds even when the tire was properly inflated. What happens is the tread ends up with more curve side to side than it was designed to handle. As it is used the tire flexes more and more heat is built up than was designed for. Heat buildup is the enemy of a tire. Eventually the rubber next to the steel belts fails from the excess heat and the tire delaminates.

If you go from a "e" rated tire to a "d" load rated tire which exceeds your "e" rated value keep the load rate data in your records, not all "D" rated tires exceed "E" load rate so be sure before you create a liability for yourself.
Most "D" load rated tires aren't as strong as "E" rated tires. This is especially true for a specific size. If you put a D rated tire on a vehicle that came with E rated tires, expect trouble legally if there is a blowout type tire failure that causes injury. In general "E" rated tires will also have a heavier duty construction which means they will handle the trials and tribulations of off road use better. Of course comparing across brands and models there may be differences that make some "D" rated ones stronger than some "E" rated ones, but that will be the exception rather than the rule.

Wheels have load ratings too, 5, 6, 8 lug wheels are not all created equal be sure when upgrading, upfitting, or whatever.
I noticed this when I was looking for 15"x8" wheels for my Toyota mini-truck. All the inexpensive wheels were knocked out of contention due to low load ratings. All the other uses for the 5.5"x6 lug size didn't require as much strength as my '94 4x4 pickup needed. I personally like to have the wheel rating similar to the tire's rating so I was looking for a bit stronger than factory even, but that wasn't to be on any 15" rim. It took switching to a 16"x8" rim to get the minimum strength I wanted. There were heavier weight vehicles that used that lug pattern and rim size so the rims were available. That opened up allot heavier duty rims. It also opened up going to "E" load rated tires for addition tire strength. I figured that was good for Canada's remote northern roads which I heard were notorious at puncturing tires.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've heard of a number of cases where wide tires were put on to narrow of a rim with the result being tire tread delamination at regular highway speeds even when the tire was properly inflated.

Can you please provide a reference to any of these cases?

If you put a D rated tire on a vehicle that came with E rated tires, expect trouble legally if there is a blowout type tire failure that causes injury...In general "E" rated tires will also have a heavier duty construction which means they will handle the trials and tribulations of off road use better.

Legally from whom, for whom? E rating on an LC80? Handling the off-road abuse better? Not so sure they'll actually help you get to said abuse roads better than a C tire.

7" is the recommended minimum rim width for that tire size according to the "TIRE AND RIM ASSOCIATION" so, your rims are too narrow.

...according to said association.

In recent years, improper tire to rim fitment has become a lawyers dream come true of big $$$$$$$$$ in litigation.

Can you provide references for this too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles