Sand-Proof Tent?

atomics

We spend a lot of time in the desert and we sleep in a Kelty Mantra 5. It has been a good tent, light weight, easy to set up, perfect for camping in the woods, and even though it is only a 3 season, we have used in the winter multiple times. Its strong and low profile design really holds up to the desert winds while we watch our friends tents fold in half.

The complaint I have is that no matter how well we stake the fly, if there is any kind of wind it always fills up with sand. I think a lot of it gets in through the mesh vents near the floor, but I have also watched it come in through the large areas of mesh on the doors and ceiling. I have thought about sewing in some flaps to try and seal it better, but it has had a lot of use, the zippers are getting tired, so thinking about retiring it.

I know one solution would be to get off the ground in a RTT, but we usually take our kids and need the rack space, and then we often find ourselves on off camber stuff and not sure about the extra weight up there.

I have searched on line but haven't found anything that doesn't have a lot of mesh, even 4 season tents. I am seriously coveting the Campmor Safari Bow offered by Equipt but it is pretty heavy in more ways than one (77lbs and over $1k).

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2011, 04-29to05-02 (242).JPG
    2011, 04-29to05-02 (242).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Michael

Adventurer
I've been looking at Springbar tents, specifically the "Outfitter 3" model, for use in dusty/blowing sand environments. They come in all sizes, and have a reputation for being very sturdy in high winds. They are too heavy for backpacking, but they pack small for vehicle camping. I just got back from a trip where two people used the "Campsite 3" model and they both really liked them. My observations are that they stayed clean inside, were quick to set up/take down, and packed small. The zippers on the doors and windows were very sturdy and closed tightly. The height of the tent was very attractive to me for 'livability'. Comparable in price (or a perhaps a bit higher) to other quality tents of that size. I'll most likely be buying one this month.

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Springbars are perfect for what you describe. They can be ordered with big sand stakes that make it nice and secure in the loosest of sand. The Campsite 3 is around $500, and the Traveler (slightly larger) is about $600.

Your other option would be to go with a convertible 3/4 season tent, or go to a 4 season tent altogether. I use a Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 when I can't use my Springbar. It has no open mesh-it can be sealed off completely with fabric panels. It is a true 4 season tent, but has a decent amount of mesh when it is opened up, both doors and a small vent in the top...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles