Advice needed

EWS

Observer
Hi all.

My first post, need some info/comments re drawbar/leaf springs and comments/advice. Note- the trailer will not be used for expedition use or the extremes that I note you encounter in the US, Just need a trailer that will stay with us whatever we decide to do or go, we are based in the UK. For green laning /unmade road use. The trailer will be carrying a powered wheelchair; the manual one will be aboard the Land Rover Defender 90. A removable hoist is planed for lifting the powered wheely aboard. The trailer will also be used for general use, no RTT planed.

Planning a small trailer, based on this. Link below.

http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

1mt x 1.5mt base/frame, leaf springs rated at 900kg per pair, 16 inch Boost Alloy Rims (compliment our Land Rover 90 Defender) on a 50mm axle rated at 2060 kg, Chassis/Drawbar to be made from 50mm x 75mm x 3mm mild steel. Unbraked to a max of 750kg’s to comply with uk regs . Hitch setup will probably be a NATO one as a 50mm ball will not allow a vast degree of articulation, very stringent rules re hitches in the UK, has to meet EEC regs ( a NATO hitch seems to fall in a grey area but lots in use). Axle bump stops will be fitted to limit axle travel/movement and if warranted shock absorbers will be fitted..

So comments required “A” frame drawbar or a single pole, re specs, if single pole drawbar, what dimensions box, length will only enough to open rear door of Land Rover fully, plus a bit. Advantage/disadvantages of single pole versus an “A” frame draw bar.

As max weight will be 750 kg’s, and the trailer will be rarely loaded to the max, and that would for on road use, will the 900kg springs, be suitable. (These are the lightest springs/length available to suit a 16 inch rim) from a trailer undergear supplier, these are cost affective as the kit includes all components. The next size up is rated at 1450kg per pair.

So comments/advice welcome.

navigator

Adventurer
The A frame tongue will be a good bit stronger than a single tongue. It also allows the flexibility to put some type of storage there like maybe a tool/storage box for straps or a spare tire, water, extra fuel, batteries or any other goodies you might need.

On light weight trailer that won't be used in extreme offroad conditions a single tongue would likely be sufficient but no more than the extra metal would cost you might as well make it an A frame. One advantage of the single tongue is if you are really concerned about tongue length you could make it a bit shorter and have more clearance before jackknifing when backing up but again that would be an extreme circumstance.

On your axle choices they seem to be fine but when I am designing something I always think about the big picture balance. If I design this trailer this way it should be perfect for this need. Will it also work for any other application? Will it be flexible? What if circumstances change and I go another direction later will this trailer be useful enough to someone else they might purchase it. If I spend a little more on it and slightly modify it, will it be more useful/flexible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94