My M416 Trailer Build

fjcruzn

Observer
I purchased my M416 a couple of years ago and begin my build. One of the first items I wanted to add was an aluminum top.

This is a picture of the trailer when I bought it on ebay.
m416tr1.jpg

After checking with several welding shops I was told by a friend to contact a local welding shop that specialized in aluminum welding and fabrication. I met with the welder and I was immediately impressed with his skill and expertise. He agreed to take on the project of building a top for my M416.

Here is a picture of the top having the internal ribs fabricated.
DSCF9245.jpg

This is the top being fitted to my M416.
DSCF9249.jpg

Next step is hinging the top to the trailer. I chose to use half hinges so I could easily remove the top if needed.
DSCF9393.jpg

Here the hinges are installed.
DSCF9405.jpg

Next step was to fit the latches. I chose a latch that I could use a padlock with.
DSCF9429.jpg

We added struts to make opening easier.
DSCF9459.jpg

Next I mounted my ARB Simpson II tent to the aluminum top.
DSCF9473.jpg

Shirley showing the tent is mounted and ready to use.
DSCF9486.jpg

Here we are on our expedition to do nine Colorado mountain passes in 2009
DSCF9521.jpg

Climbing up the gnarly trail to Taylor Lake.
DSCF9680.jpg

In camp at Taylor Lake.
DSCF9557.jpg

Posing at the top of one of the many mountain passes.
DSCF9537.jpg

Kloeppel Welding did an outstanding job in fabricating my trailer top. His price was very reasonable charging about $500 for the top.

I've changed axles to 3500 pound axles with electric brakes and the Toyota bolt pattern. I'll post that mod soon.

My next project is to add struts to raise the tent to FJ rooftop height. I want to use my annex with the tent on our forthcoming Alaska expedition.

Last edited:

mtbcoach

Observer
Looks great Dale. You'll love being off the ground and having plenty of room to bring all the essentials. Regina loves the convenience of our set up and I'll bet Shirley loves your's as well...

RJ40

Adventurer
Very sweet and tidy unit! That al. topper is really nice...I bet very light as well! Would you tell us how you mounted the spare under the bed on the trailer? I gotta do the same thing soon, and have been scratching my head looking for an effective mount.

Cheers!

fjcruzn

Observer
Jerry, thanks for the kind words! We really love it. I went this way when Shirley told me that she wasn't camping any more unless I got a RTT. We watched folks with their camps set up and having a cold one and we were still struggling with our tent... :)

Hugs to your ladies

dale

fjcruzn

Observer
Very sweet and tidy unit! That al. topper is really nice...I bet very light as well! Would you tell us how you mounted the spare under the bed on the trailer? I gotta do the same thing soon, and have been scratching my head looking for an effective mount.

Cheers!

Yep, I went all aluminum because I wanted the top to be as light as possible. It has worked out very well for us.

The spare tire mount is the original mount the military used. It is very similar to the spare tire mount on Chevy trucks in that the tire is on a cable/chain that is raised and lowered using a crank in the rear. Very efficient setup!

cheers,

dale

RJ40

Adventurer
fjcruzn;903155The spare tire mount is the original mount the military used. It is very similar to the spare tire mount on Chevy trucks in that the tire is on a cable/chain that is raised and lowered using a crank in the rear. Very efficient setup! cheers said:
Would you be so kind as to snap a pic of that? I was not aware that the military mounted the spares under the bed...my trailer, a 1967 model does not have any provisions for an underside spare that I can see, but I really like the idea of putting it there.

Cheers

fjcruzn

Observer
Here are a few pics of the spare tire holder.

This is the chain that attaches to the tire (much like the Chevy pickup apparatus).
SANY0876.jpg

This is the lift mechanism. It is actuated by a crank inserted from the rear of the trailer through a hole.
SANY0878.jpg

This is a view of the lift mechanism from below.
SANY0879.jpg

The channel the lift is mounted on is reinforced and connected to one of the frame crossmembers.

I hope this helps

cheers,

dale

RJ40

Adventurer
That is Awesome! Thank you very much ....I can now go out and find that type of mechanism for my spare!!! Way cool! :beer::beer::beer:

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier