platform

bat

Explorer
I am in the process of building a sleeping platform and what is everybody using to secure the carpet to the wood.

corax

Explorer
3/8" staples have worked well for me and gives me the option of tearing it off later. Are you looking more for some kind of adhesive? 3M makes some great spray adhesives if you want to go that route, but I would still staple the edges

compactcamping

Explorer
Pulled tight and attached with 3/8" staples on the bottom.

i2BD91F64-F7F1-4354-AA89-FFFE024CB72C.jpg

Firebear MD718

Observer
Just finished a restoration of interior carpeting on a "71" Duster, have been using 3m Super Trim Adhesive spray, and it worked amazingly well, "Warning, Use in very well ventlated area and use a fan to move the air away when using" My next project is a storage and sleep platform . . . after I come down from the hang over high and headach !!!!:jumping::oops:

bat

Explorer
The 3m stuff is what I have been looking at but was not sure how well it would stick to wood.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
The first platform I made we covered it in carpet, but the second time around we just stained it and left it wood. Then the 3 inch memory foam just slides in on top of it when we are ready to go.
No need to carpet it for us.
:sombrero:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Lap the carpet over the edge and staple is mentioned, I would get some double face carpet tape and place two or three strips along the length, dividing it equally from the sides. I'd staple one side and lay the tape on the plywood, then pull to the other side patting it down as you pull it across. Over some time the carpet will stretch some and that should keep the carpet from bunching up and getting wrinkles. It also depends on how heavy your carpet is, the heavier, the better it will lay and the harder it will be to lap over and staple. You could also use "Z" bar along the edges on the sides to hold the carpet. That Z bar is used at door thresholds to make a transition from carpet to another flooring.

Carpet glue is not that hard to rip up old carpet and smooth out for another carpet and would be better. Depends how long you want it to last and stay down. The carlet will last longer the less it can move.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Line-X! Obvious durability, and you can apply it with little to no texture, or just texture the areas you will be loading with gear to have a little extra grip. Comes in colors too.

One my drawer system is finished, I will lay a carpet over top, and attach with button snaps or industrial velcro. Being able to remove it makes keeping the rig clean much easier.

bat

Explorer
My platform is done and it was pretty easy to do as long as you have someone who can cut straight lines :Wow1:. I decided to try magnets to hold thing down so I purchased some 5/16 x 5/16 n48 magnets and they are very strong. I have them on the back panel but I did not need so many $15.00 for 30 magnets. The center part slides back and I have some rubber maid boxes that go in front , I will put all other camping stuff in the slide box.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG