GMRS as an alternative to CB or 2m?

Maverick1701

Adventurer
The Midland MXT100 looks like an awesome GMRS vehicle radio....price isn't bad either.
I follow a few overland/expedition youtube channels and they use this radio for vehicle to vehicle comms.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I still ask the same question

What is a good recommendation for a GMRS mobile unit?

Midland MX-100 or the Tera TR-505
I'm leaning towards the Midland... it's claiming 5W, you can also swap out the factory antenna.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Midland has released 3 new mobile GMRS radios.
MXT-105: looks like the 100, 5 watts, with weather channels. $99.00
MXT-115: looks similar to the 100/105, 15 watts, weather channels, and repeater capable. $149.99
MXT-400: Looks like the TYT TH-9000/Baofengtech UV-5001, 40 watts, repeater capable. $249.99

The MXT 400 seems a little high priced considering you can purchase a similar (same?) radio for cheaper and program it to the GMRS channels... not legal I realize and for the non-radio person the pre-programmed radios above would be a decent choice. Glad to see more offering available, it's certainly a valid alternative for trail/convoy comms over CB.

Kinger

Observer
Midland has released 3 new mobile GMRS radios.
MXT-105: looks like the 100, 5 watts, with weather channels. $99.00
MXT-115: looks similar to the 100/105, 15 watts, weather channels, and repeater capable. $149.99
MXT-400: Looks like the TYT TH-9000/Baofengtech UV-5001, 40 watts, repeater capable. $249.99

The MXT 400 seems a little high priced considering you can purchase a similar (same?) radio for cheaper and program it to the GMRS channels... not legal I realize and for the non-radio person the pre-programmed radios above would be a decent choice. Glad to see more offering available, it's certainly a valid alternative for trail/convoy comms over CB.

Jeeze, for an extra $50 you get a 10w bump? Any reason NOT to step up to the 115? I was about to pull the trigger on a 105 before seeing this.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Jeeze, for an extra $50 you get a 10w bump? Any reason NOT to step up to the 115? I was about to pull the trigger on a 105 before seeing this.

I would, still a little high priced for me given the few channels and how little power it puts out. The MXT-400 is too much as you can buy the identical radio and program it yourself for half of what they are offering, though that route is not legal. They look the same from the outside....would anyone notice?

For the non-radio person the MXT-115 is a good legal option and it comes with an antenna though an upgrade antenna would help it.

The TYT TH900DUHF which is can be programmed to be an illegitimate GMRS radio is only 45 watts so not enough power to make any real difference. The big difference comes in that it is wide band radio so you could use it for ham use and sneak in (illegally) GMRS use. A better option if one was a ham would be a dual band radio that was programmed for GMRS use. I can not condone or condemn anyone doing this. The TYT TH9000D UHF is not really a good option for someone who is not a ham as he could not fully utilize the capabilities of the radio. Yes the MXT400 is expensive for what it does, but it is the cadillac of the GMRS radios forgiving it missing weather band.

There are people that pay more than this for a CB radio. I have been considering putting an MXT400 here at the house as cell service is nil and might be a way to get wife interested in ham radio. She can reach me anytime when I am out roaming the property and near by woods.

Kinger

Observer
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm going to add this to my arsenal. Not sure how handy it will be with the local trail crew yet, but it will definitely be handy for work.

offero

Desert rat
I still scratch my head wondering why the FCC still requires a license for this radio service and why it is so costly. Outside of the GMRS repeater crowd, the percentage of users who are licensed has to be minimal.

Amateur and business licensing ensures good operating principles through education and accountability, but simply paying $70 every few years does neither. All the kids I hear chatting on their radios around campgrounds aren't exactly good stewards of the radio service. (Not complaining about kids on the radios. Using a bubble-pack radio might just foster some interest in ham radio, electronics, etc... science man!).

The reform is in the commenting stage at this time. There has been no order issued and probably will not be till later this year. Current license cost is $65 every 5 years. If the reform goes into place the period the license is valid will be 10 years. Either way that is a tiny sum to help support regulation. Consider it a user tax. Most funding for FCC comes from Frequency auctions and licensing fees.

Licensing fees does not ensure good operating principles. Just listen to HF and even some of the 2 meter repeaters to hear the crap storm that is constantly on going.

mikekey

Deplorable
As to the original topic, even though this is an old old thread, I wanted to comment on this. I have a cheap Boafeng UV5R. And recently lead a group of 22 vehicles for a seven day event in Moab.

We chose to use FSR/GMRS channels becuase many in the group didn't have radio's in their trucks. The overlap was perfect becuase people could show up with the cheap walmart handhelds. Those with Ham could also have private comms and we could hit the repeaters in town.

I was orginally planning to get my technical license, but now I'm thinking against it. What for really? Most dual band radios are pretty expensive. $300 and up. I already paid my $70 for my GMRS license.

And something like the Midland MXT115 Micro is $149 on Amazon with 15 watts of power. Pretty decent for trail comms. We had zero problems out in Moab. I figured there would be a lot of interfernce. But we encountered very little with out group.

So I'm starting to think the GMRS is a better trail radio. Ham is great, especially if you want to hit repeaters and use APRS. But my thinking is, I'm only going to use this radio 2% out of the year. The few times I'm with a group. The rest of the time, notta. And I'm not looking for a hobby. So while the test might be $15 a better radio isn't.

You already have a handheld that will do ham frequencies. Why not study a light just a few nights and take the test just to have the license. You are not creating a hobby you are extending your options if the need arises. Just keep it renewed by going online for 5 minutes.

mikekey

Deplorable
I studied some for it and got annoyed at the level of electronics questions that I don't really care about. Was using Hamtestonline. Seriously, feel the question pool is heavily dated and not really designed for modern users. GMRS doesn't have that barrier. And I have a busy schedule. And with testing once a month in my area, makes it even harder.

In all fairness the electonrics crap should be dropped from the test, with the question pool focused on regulations and use for the Technician license. Save that hobby junk for general and the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94