GMRS as an alternative to CB or 2m?

Expedition Leader
I've resisted the 2M setup simply due to the limited number of users. Yes, there are alot of 2M users but the number of cb & gmrs users far exceeds that number.

But this is more than compensated for by the vastly superior range of 2M. The sheer numbers of cb & gmrs is irrelevant if they are more than 1/2 mile away from you - OK on an interstate, not so good on an expedition or 4WD trail. Once you get off-road (in reality, off of a major highway), you are 100X more likely to be able to make a contact on 2M than on a cb. If all you need to do is talk to the truck immediately behind or in front of you, than any of those lesser services will do, but if you ever want to do more than that, ham is the only way to go.

Imagine what the numbers would be if you walked into a run of the mill camping & outdoor store, and asked who owns what.

Again, useless unless the people in the store are going to follow you closely on your next expedition. :)

Alchemyguy

Observer
The average U.S. household probably doesn't own a CB or a 2M radio. You have a higher probability of them owning an FRS/GMRS portable. Same goes for casual off-roaders or Overlanders if you'd prefer.

The HAM licensing issue is really one of the big reasons why GMRS is valuable. Your GMRS license covers everyone in your household makes this a valuable tool. It would be great if the FCC would allow family licenses for 2M/70cm. I don't see that happening. I also don't see my wife, son or neighbors ever taking the technician exam.

These both strike me as completely irrelevant, but I may be looking at it from a different angle. Just because CB/GMRS radios are ubiquitous doesn't mean that they're appropriate for the job. Do your wife/kids roll in their own vehicles, separated from the pack by distances and terrain that warrant a 2m? Or are you talking about toddling around on foot, separated by perhaps hundreds of metres, or a close convoy on the highway? Because a GMRS talkie set is perfectly fine for those scenarios, and 2m is certainly overkill when motoring around with kidlets. I keep a pair of motorolas in my rig and we use them while close convoy on the highway with unlicensed users, and put them away when we need bigger guns. Big guns aren't always necessary, but little guns don't generally do the job. You have to apply the right tools to the right job; insisting that spoons are the best for steak because they're cheap and everybody has them is silly.

xtatik

Explorer
I've resisted the 2M setup simply due to the limited number of users. Yes, there are alot of 2M users but the number of cb & gmrs users far exceeds that number. Imagine what the numbers would be if you walked into a run of the mill camping & outdoor store, and asked who owns what.

Let's assume this is true. If you're thinking it's a "safety in numbers" game...you'll lose. Making the assumption that there will be another hiker, sportsman or whomever nearby to assist you or relay a message would be a mistake. CB and bubble-pack radios are flat-out impotent by comparison. Even if you were fortunate enough to contact another GMRS user, you may gain his immediate help, but he'd be no better off than you in his ability to get a message to where it really needed to be. With CB you may stand a better chance, but it would take shear luck to raise another station from a truly remote place.

bugnout

Adventurer
These both strike me as completely irrelevant, but I may be looking at it from a different angle. Just because CB/GMRS radios are ubiquitous doesn't mean that they're appropriate for the job.

GMRS, General Mobile Radio Service's purpose, as stated by the FCC, is personal communication, Amateur Radio Service's purpose, as stated by the FCC, is for a hobby for advancement of the art of radio technology. I believe the ARS rules frown on personal communications not incidental to the higher purpose. I know, I know, you can justify just about anything as related, but strictly speaking ARS bands are not appropriate to the job.

No argument that 2M has better range. I think it would be great if GMRS was allocated frequencies in the VHF range, but I suspect the ARS community would howl. IMHO the family licensing aspect of GMRS is the right way to go and a definite step up from Citizens Band.

FYI, I've been studying and I'm off to take my tech exam on Saturday.:sombrero:

Expedition Leader
I believe the ARS rules frown on personal communications not incidental to the higher purpose.

Absolutely not true; 99% of all ham communication is very personal, the rest being emergency civil service. Only commercial (business) purposes are prohibited, hence the name "amateur".

xtatik

Explorer
GMRS, General Mobile Radio Service's purpose, as stated by the FCC, is personal communication, Amateur Radio Service's purpose, as stated by the FCC, is for a hobby for advancement of the art of radio technology. I believe the ARS rules frown on personal communications not incidental to the higher purpose. I know, I know, you can justify just about anything as related, but strictly speaking ARS bands are not appropriate to the job.

No argument that 2M has better range. I think it would be great if GMRS was allocated frequencies in the VHF range, but I suspect the ARS community would howl. IMHO the family licensing aspect of GMRS is the right way to go and a definite step up from Citizens Band.

FYI, I've been studying and I'm off to take my tech exam on Saturday.:sombrero:

What I've hilited above will immediately straighten out the misconceptions you're struggling with. Go get it, and best of luck!!!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I think you're assuming I've needed to contact someone beyond CB/GMRS range.

That's just not the case. My com's are primarily (almost exclusively) to wheelers in my group who are typically within cb radio range. While 2M may allow me to more easily communicate with someone who's out of CB range and especially in the event of an emergency, it frankly hasn't been a driving factor to spending the time and resources to get a license and a unit. Besides there are usually 1 or 2 in the group who do have 2M should an emergency arise where it's required.

While GMRS or CB may not be the ideal tool for the job, it's usually the ONLY tool a beginner/intermediate wheeler has (which most attendees who are on my wheeling trips have been).

But like I said, since more & more of my serious wheeling friends are getting them, I'll eventually get one simply to stay in communication with everyone on the trail rather than the distance/reception reasoning.:ylsmoke:

Good luck with the test.

Expedition Leader
Without a repeater nearby, 2m is no better than GRMS, FRS or CB. That's my .02!

??? The power and range of 2M simplex is 10-20X any of those, with FM clarity. Depends on your definition of "better" I guess.

bugnout

Adventurer
I still ask the same question

What is a good recommendation for a GMRS mobile unit?

Need a radio that is in the 450-470MHz band

I'm not sure what's out there for new mobiles. But if your looking for something used, try ebay.

I have two Motorola SM120. It has 16 presets (frequencies). The SM50 is cheaper and has 4 presets. The M1225 can be programmed for 20 presets . These are all radios that need special radio programming software to set them up, but can be had for around $100. Many sellers will set them up for GMRS frequencies for free or a small fee.

One thing to be aware of is the 20 or so privacy codes that the consumer GMRS portables can select, equate to PL or CTCSS codes in these commercial grade mobiles. For the most part the privacy code or CTCSS code is programmable but usually not selectable. Meaning you get one of the 20 privacy codes or no privacy code at all. On the SM120 there is an option button to turn the code on or off. To fully replicate the frequency and privacy code, you would need 8x20 presets.

GMRS is wide open, very little traffic anywhere except theme parks. I tend to leave all my radio's on the same freq and PL code. I have different presets for different groups I am associated with. Even with the SM50, you can program in 4 combinations, just in case there is contention for the channel.

Alchemyguy

Observer
Amateur Radio Service's purpose, as stated by the FCC, is for a hobby for advancement of the art of radio technology. I believe the ARS rules frown on personal communications not incidental to the higher purpose.

Pff. Tell that to the old buggers rag-chewing about their latest medical procedure, on both points. *That's* why people under the age of 50 thing HAM is for losers.

xtatik

Explorer
Why would 2m ham be any better than GMRS mobile?

For one, in simplex mode its VHF signal travels further than UHF. Second is the ability to not only work through repeaters, but also through reflectors with the added capabilities of the IRLP. Using IRLP, I can (and do) talk with stations not only in the next state but around the world.
GMRS is fine. You would just have to be aware of its limitations and know you would be operating in a more localised and isolated RF environment. If this raises no issues, go for it.
Bottom line is if your just into"wheeling" in areas close to home and you can talk your "wheeling" buddies into spending the money on radios that operate in a limited environment.....It's all good. Chances are...they'll be smarter than this and spend three hours and fifteen bucks getting licensed while knowing it's a better long-term investment. As evidenced by the numbers, most come to this conclusion.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I still ask the same question

What is a good recommendation for a GMRS mobile unit?

In my limited search/comparison, I found most are very similar. That said, I recommend buying a decent brand name unit not just for the obvious reasons such as reliability, support, etc. But also because they will also offer a number of options such as headsets, soft cases, etc.

Myself, I have both Motorola and Cobra gmrs radios. Never had any real problems with either. What is interesting is that one model may use different channels/sub channels than other models. So for example channel 1 sub channel 2 may be channel 8 sub channel 1 pn a different model/brand radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94