next generation Chevy Colorado concept

haven

Expedition Leader
chevydakarconcept.jpg

GM just released drawings of this concept vehicle, based on the next generation of Chevrolet Colorado. The actual vehicle will appear at an auto show in Buenos Aires shortly. The Dakar theme is evident in oversize off-road tires, raised suspension, winch bumpers front and rear, spare tire carrier in the bed, and plexiglass windows. None of these items will appear on the Colorado when production starts next year in Thailand.

The 2.8L turbodiesel engine used in the concept will be the standard engine for markets outside USA. Pickuptrucks.com says there's a good chance GM will build and sell this Colorado in USA at some point, but the diesel is unlikely to be included here.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/06/first-look-chevrolet-colorado-rally-concept.html

ExpoMike

Based on what I had been reading, GM was looking to drop the Colorado line (midsize truck) due to poor sales. Maybe that was just going to be in the US market.

I sure know, in my area, compared to the S10 truck series, I see almost no Colorados out there. Tons of full size C/K series. It will be interesting to see if it comes to light here. Overall it looks good.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Based on what I had been reading, GM was looking to drop the Colorado line (midsize truck) due to poor sales. Maybe that was just going to be in the US market.

I sure know, in my area, compared to the S10 truck series, I see almost no Colorados out there. Tons of full size C/K series. It will be interesting to see if it comes to light here. Overall it looks good.

I think the relatively poor sales are in part because there is so little difference in the pricing of the mid-size and full-size, especially when GM keeps dropping cash on the hoods of the full-sizers.

A planned upgrade of the C/K series will likely add a few $$$$ to the price of those as they'll include modern steel methods and materials as well as newer engines to meet CAFE requirements. That may make the price differential more significant.

There are people like me however who will only buy a full-size as a last resort. I need/want a truck but neither want/need the full-size.

haven

Expedition Leader
The fancy trim on the windows is supposed to be plexiglass windows with an air filtration system that reduces the dust that gets into the cabin on those long dusty Dakar stages.

The problem for companies that sell lots of trucks is that the Corporate Average Fuel Economy for light trucks has been raised from 25.4 mpg in 2012 to 28.8 mpg in 2016. While that doesn't sound like a big change, it will be difficult for companies to meet the new standard using today's technology. That's why companies are working on new engines (like Ford's EcoBoost turbo V6 and Cummins/Nissan's 4 cylinder turbodiesel) and alternative power sources (mostly gas/electric hybrids).

USA companies have decided truck buyers want bigger vehicles with macho styling. The USA companies have resisted making their light trucks smaller and lighter to improve fuel economy numbers. But the new engine technologies needed to improve economy in the large trucks are expensive.

Patman

Explorer
NMatceks has to be the best looking one I've seen, and it looks GOOD.

That being said. When you have a truck that makes a first gen Avalanche look GOOD, and price it close to the same as a full size, its hard to sell any!

The new one looks like a great design, but you know GM will Americanize it and Ruin it!

wyojoe

Adventurer
I don't really like it. I kinda like the one I already have.

I kinda like the one you have better too. :Wow1: should come from the factory like that.

I'm with you guys. I like the current Colorado/Canyon models, too. I have a 2005 model with the I-5, and have put almost 170,000 miles on it by driving all over the western U.S.

I think the primary reason for the poor sales in the market segment is that GM doesn't do anything to promote these vehicles, and they've done very little to improve them since 2004 (the exception being the V8 option). I haven't even seen any advertising for the Colorado in the last five, or so, years. Ford has been much the same way with the Ranger, but that platform is even older.

Toyota doesn't seem to have any trouble selling vehicles in that segment with the Tacoma. What do they know that GM and Ford don't? They regularly make refinements to the Tacoma, and though I don't like all the changes they've made, they seem to produce vehicles that people want to buy.

I think freshening up the Colorado would be a good idea for GM, though the concept vehicle pictured goes a little too far in styling changes. They should also update the interior a little bit, but for the most part I like it the way it is.

However, I think the biggest thing GM could do for sales in the segment is to offer the Colorado with a Turbo Diesel option like that which is available in the international marketplace. A 3 liter V6 Turbo Diesel would do very well in fuel economy, and it would be quite the workhorse, too. I truly wish this were an option in the U.S. market. I believe a Turbo Diesel Colorado could fairly easily achieve fuel economy ratings in the mid-30 MPG range.

From what I've heard, Ford is considering dropping the Ranger in favor of the F-150. Again, they've hardly done anything to promote the Ranger in a number of years. When all the competitors came out with four door variants of their trucks, Ford didn't even bother to do so in the U.S. market. I've seen a few crew cab Rangers around, but all had plates from Mexico. Why do they ignore the improvements that people seem to want in the U.S.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94