Offroad PUP build

BlackWidow

Observer
Hello everyone

My Father in law recently gave me a 1986 Palamino Shetland Pop Up Trailer which turned out to be in an almost brand new condition. I had recently made a small post of a trip me and the kids took with it http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62086-Palimino-Shetland. Even as i was driving it home for the first time from Long Beach I knew i had to raise it if i wanted to be able to take it camping in remote areas. Once i had some time I started to look on the internet to find if others had the same idea and i came across this posting http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/354638-offroad-popup-camper-build.html which was exactly what i wanted to do. The major difference was that unlike the PUP in that build mine did not have any defects inside so the thought of taking the PUP apart was out of the question. My basic plan is to Build a new frame under the PUP And leave the original frame untouched with the exception of removing the tounge. I also wanted to be able to put it back to its original condition if i ever decided to sale it. I had taken it on two camping trips and decided that if i was going to build a new frame for it i would make it longer then the original frame so that i could have extra storage.
Here it is after i first got it home Yes those are 8 inch wheels with very little ground clearance.

1306542534513.jpg

The start of the new frame build

2011-06-02_08-54-51_231.jpg

After about 2 weeks and a few modifications this is what i ended up with. The length of the frame including tounge is 13 feet give or take a few inches. I took apart a 3500lb axle and shortened it and used 1750lb springs I did this because i had the axle and parts available to me for free. Later i might replace them with Toyota leaf springs but I will see if there is any reason to after a few trips offroad. I plan on adding shocks too.

2011-06-17_12-43-52_98.jpg

Here I am marrying the two old frame to the new frame.

2011-06-17_17-26-26_370.jpg

2011-06-17_17-26-45_39.jpg

2011-06-17_17-48-59_22.jpg

2011-06-17_17-51-09_707.jpg

2011-06-17_17-52-45_717.jpg

2011-06-17_17-54-51_749.jpg

Once I had the trailer in place I noticed that i needed to raise the old frame off the new frame by 3 inches to get better wheel clearance. I ended up raising it 4 inches and today i will cut off the old tounge and start fabricating a extra wheel carrier.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The Palomino Shetland is the perfect candidate for this, and even more perfect that you had one given to you in such nice condition. I was looking for one myself locally but they either sold before I could get to it or would be beat up.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Just a thought, would it hurt to raise it a little more so you could have storage between the camper frame and the new trailer frame? A few inches more you might get more water, batteries, tools, etc with outside access doors.

I have a stout little utility trailer and I'm thinking the same thing, to slide the campe on when needed and off to use the utility trailer....it's a tilt trailer so it would be easy to mount and dismount something.

Great job BTW!

BlackWidow

Observer
I thought about raising it more than 4 inches because I did have some 5 inch c channel I decided that 4 would be fine and i do plan on building an Aluminum holding tank for waste water and a storage tank for drinking water. between the frame rails and the bottom of the trailer floor if i made a 46Lx20Wx8H holding tank that would give me 31.8 gallons Now of course it will have to hold a little less but I hope 31 Gallons is enough That is a significant amount of weight when full roughly 260lbs nothing my F350 cant handle but coming from a race car building background I am always thinking of weight.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I have been planning on doing the same thing.
Even seen the same thread you have been looking at from the guy in Aspen. (great build)
Are you planning on using the same leveling option as him?
I am watching your thread on pop up portal as well. :)

BlackWidow

Observer
Yes that is a 1972 510 4 door I am in the process of turning it into a rally car.

ColoDisco I am not sure how i plan on doing the leveling system yet. I will be updating the build this weekend I have already mounted the original frame to the new frame and cut off the tongue and the rear bumper. I will post the pics on POP UP Portal as well.

stomperxj

Explorer
ColoDisco I am not sure how i plan on doing the leveling system yet. I will be updating the build this weekend I have already mounted the original frame to the new frame and cut off the tongue and the rear bumper. I will post the pics on POP UP Portal as well.

Not sure if you have seen these yet:

http://norcoind.com/bal/products/consumer/stabilizing_products/c-jack.shtml

I put the 36" models on my trailer but it looks like they only offer up to a 31" model now. Still something to look at. They work great-

mudbutt

Explorer
Yes that is a 1972 510 4 door I am in the process of turning it into a rally car.

Sorry, off topic..... My brother's 71' 510.... He beats Corvettes in it... :)

Back on topic.....

Didn't someone here use a couple of high lift jacks in the rear to level his trailer?

Last edited:

BlackWidow

Observer
UPDATE

So over this week I have married the old frame to the new frame, Cut off the old tongue and the back bumper. I positioned the tongue before i cut it so that i could reuse the brackets that the poles go into. In the pic below you can see where I cut around the tongue but left the brackets attached to some C channel The space between the C channel and the front part of the trailer is where I plan to mount two batteries I still want to put a piece of steel there to place the batteries on.

2011-06-22_05-45-05_718.jpg

This next image is I s the space between the frame and the additional C channel i decided to put in. There are still two pieces that need to go in then this space will be used for fresh water storage and grey water storage.

2011-06-22_05-45-22_627.jpg

And here are a few shots of the box I built for extra storage. It is not quite finished. When it is done there will be two doors one on each side that swing out The box is 4ft long by 18inches high bly 16 inches wide. I even have a little space between the box and the PUP I will put some expanded metal there and most likely use that space for firewood. I plan on mounting a shovel, axe and a pic on the front of the box.

2011-06-23_18-59-46_275.jpg

2011-06-23_18-59-58_738.jpg

And finally an image of the size of the old tires and the new tires.

2011-06-22_05-46-18_474.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier