M101 CDN Modifications

New Horizons Overland

NEWHORIZONSOVERLAND
Just picked up my CDN M101 on Sunday. I got a great one. Almost 0% rust. Brakes still work and everything. Question, where did you find CARC at. I thought you couldn't find it anymore. Thanks again for all the info. Trying to get an idea of all I want to do to mine.

Balzer

Adventurer
Just picked up my CDN M101 on Sunday. I got a great one. Almost 0% rust. Brakes still work and everything. Question, where did you find CARC at. I thought you couldn't find it anymore. Thanks again for all the info. Trying to get an idea of all I want to do to mine.

Im hopping he didn't actually mean CARC paint, but instead connected the type of paint with the color. CARC is terrible stuff that shouldn't be used by anyone that doesn't know how hazardous it is. CARC stands for Chemical Agent Resistant Coating.

Anyway there are several paints available in the popular military colors that are far less dangerous to use. Off the top of my head krylon makes 6 camo colors in spray cans, and for a more serious (automotive quality) paint job House of Kolor makes the 5 major camo colors in their HOT ROD FLATZ line black, desert tan, camo brown, olive drab green and olive brown

KRYLON LINK:http://krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/
HOUSE OF KOLORS LINK: http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

More info on CARC.
Health Problems Associated with Exposure to CARC Paint
Paint fumes present the most potential risk to users especially when CARC is spray painted, rather than applied with a brush or roller.

CARC paint contains several chemical compounds that can be hazardous when inhaled or exposed to the skin:

Isocyanyte (HDI) – Highly irritating to skin and respiratory system. High concentrations can cause:
Itching and reddening of skin
Burning sensation in throat and nose and watering of the eyes
In extreme concentrations can cause cough, shortness of breath, pain during respiration, increased sputum production, and chest tightness
Solvents – Inhaling high concentrations can cause:
Coughing, shortness of breath and watery eyes
Long term exposure could lead to respiratory problems, including asthma
Toluene diisocyanate (TDI) - High levels released during the drying process can cause kidney damage
If you are concerned about health problems associated with exposure to CARC paint during military service, contact the Environmental Health Coordinator or Patient Care Advocate at your nearest VA medical facility.

A little more research tells me that they no longer use the original CARC but now have a water dispersible version thats a lot safer.

85CUCV

Adventurer
It is a color matched paint (33446 686 CARC (Substitute)Tan) for military restorations from Rapco parts.

Balzer is right. True CARC is nasty stuff. The military quit using it and went to a waterbased paint.

http://www.rapcoparts.com/

Lets see a picture of this new trailer.

Last edited:

falldownjaeger

Were the original M101CDN2 hubs, wheels and tires still serviceable? Did you keep them?

CARC: You can still order the newer Sherwin Williams Type II Low VOC CARC Paint through you local Sherwin Williams dealer:
New Waterborne CARC Coating From Sherwin-Williams Offers Superior Durability, Low VOCs

Advantages include excellent film build so less coating material is used

(CLEVELAND - September 5, 2006) - New from Sherwin-Williams Chemical Coatings is a new generation of waterborne CARC coatings, Sherwin-Williams MIL-DTL-64159 Type II Waterborne CARC for use by the military and defense industry. The two-component waterborne polyurethane coating offers superior exterior durability compared to previous CARC coatings, lower VOCs (1.8 pounds per gallon) and a long wet edge that eliminates dry spray. In addition, the coating provides excellent film build, using up to 30% less coating resulting in material savings.

MIL-DTL-64159 Type II Waterborne CARC has less odor and is compatible with electrostatic application. It is non-flammable and provides a durable, flexible finish with longer exterior durability when compared to other CARC coatings. MIL-DTL-64159 Type II Waterborne CARC meets the strict requirements of the U.S. armed forces and is listed on the Qualified Products List (Q.P.L.) published by the Army Research Lab.

The Sherwin-Williams Chemical Coatings Division, with more than 140 years of experience in products finishing technology, serves the chemical coatings market through a North American network of company-owned locations and with expanding global reach. Sherwin-Williams broad line of low-VOC coatings, full range of technical support and just-in-time distribution capabilities allows finishers to specify quality coatings with the assurance of regulatory compliance. For a better finish.

Balzer

Adventurer
Yea I put that up for everyone that doesn't know. But with a few net searches I found several places that sell the newer "water dispersible CARC". I Dont really see anything for original CARC paint, so I guess my warning is a little less important anymore.

However people should be aware that older military equipment can have REAL CARC, and the dust from sanding and/or grinding is also dangerous to breath as well as being flammable.

In fact I remember grinding on a military trailer I had yeas ago (the bigger 3/4 ton or 1 ton version i dont remember what they are called) and noticed the paint burned across the surface kind of like a fuse. If I had known about CARC back then I would have been a lot more cautious.

Now back to the regular programing, sorry for the highjack.

PS both of you have some cool trailers I looked for one for almost 2 years but never found any that wasn't BOTH rusted and over priced. Thats why I built scrappy.

85CUCV

Adventurer
uscggm,
Trailer looks like it is in good shape. I like it!

Were the original M101CDN2 hubs, wheels and tires still serviceable? Did you keep them?

falldownjaeger,
I never had the original axle. The previous owner scaped it and put a 3500# dexter under it. I was not happy with the installation as it was bending and breaking at the weld points on the bottom of the tub. That is one of the main reasons I decided to fabricate a frame.

Dan

New Horizons Overland

NEWHORIZONSOVERLAND
DSC00156.JPG

Here she is as of this afternoon. I disassembled the trailer completely and then had it sandblasted and powdercoated. Still need to order new wheels and tires though. Its still got a long way to go before its done though.

85CUCV

Adventurer
alfio,

It is approximately 72" from the front of the tube to the end of the lunnette. Backs and pulls great.

uscggm,
Trailer is looking great!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles