Magirus Deutz / Iveco World Service.

Neil

Observer
Although I am an avid reader I am not a frequent poster on this forum but hope that some of you can offer advice.

I am about to embark on constructing an Overland Camper based on a Truck.

One of the base vehicles I am considering is the Iveco 110-16 AW ( Formerly the Magirus Deutz 168M11FAL )

It has an air cooled engine ( BF6L 913 )

My concern is regarding the worldwide availability of parts and service.

Can anyone advise me as to how available parts for this vehicle would be in areas such as Africa/ Asia and South America

Many thanks

Neil

Donsfast

Observer
I have very limited experience with Iveco but do know parts can be hard to get here in the U.S. I had one for a short time and sold it quickly due to only being able to get parts at one place and then at a premium price. I am sure other will chim in with more information as well.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Deutz air-cooled engine parts are expensive as all get-out in Canada, but they are available. Can't comment in the Asia area's but you said worldwide so I thought I'd throw it in there.

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
Neil-
I am wrestling with this issue as well and I'll throw in what I have learned so far. I posted similar questions to the cloud of people on this Forum, and they were incredibly helpful, but have made the issue sooooo much more confusing for me.

Magirus trucks are found globally, but the parts are considerably more expensive than some of the more mass produced trucks (Man, VW LT). A cheap windshield would be 1000+€, the rubber blocks supporting the cab (only last about 3 years) cost 300€. I am on a pretty tight budget, and this seemed to be my answer...and then I received advice on the subject that threw me back to indecision.

When you are out in the middle of the desert, parts availability is important, but not nearly as much so as parts reliability. I know guys who waste half their load carrying spare parts.

The "Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide" by Tom Sheppard suggests the opposite. In a situation where vehicle failure can be catastrophic, even fatal for members of the expedition, break downs just cannot be allowed. I really like the Magirus for its mechanically injected, air cooled Deutz diesel...there is very little to fail.

A Magirus wont be stranded in the middle of the desert if the rubber cab blocks wear out or if the windshield shatters and I can't replace it, uncomfortable, but not stranded. If every village in Tunisia has a radiator for your water cooled truck, but it would require a 300km hike across the desert to get it, is parts availability really helpful?

I have resigned myself to the fact that EVERY truck has merits and drawbacks and finding that blend of parts reliability, availability, and what you can work with is what makes for such a diverse inventory of trucks used by the Expo community.

Good Luck and keep posting...the source of real world experience availible here has been so valuable to me
Cade

Last edited:

LukeH

Adventurer
Nice thing about the Deutz engine:
In the unlikely event of blowing a head gasket you have five other cylinders still keeping compression. In a water cooled unit even if it has separate cylinder heads, one head gasket compromises the cooling circuit ans at best you lose water, at worst your compression goes into the circuit and blows the radiator (happened to me in a car).

One of the german Maggie sites had a picture log of changing a front CV joint in it. I don't understand german so I have no idea if it's a weak point particular to Maggies or if it was just one of those unpredictable breaks.

Philipp at PADH is a brilliant source and will sort out a test drive. You also need to know if you can live with a Maggie, the aircooling isn't as quiet as a watercooling. He sells them for more than you could get them at VEBEG but that's because he's given them a thourough checkover.
If you've got even more spare cash Aigner trucks refit to an even higher level (with corresponding cost increase)
g'luck hunting

andrew jones

Not much to go wrong

we love our 87 Magirus and drove it through 23 countries last year. Not much to go wrong. blew gasket in France and fixed no problem. Morocco a few repairs. rear wheel bearing cost me a lot in germany but found the same part cheap in USA. Best truck in the world!

Arnie

Magirus Spares

I've found Lee of "Black & White Trucks" of South Africa, to be a great source of spares for the bonnetted range of Magirus Deutz trucks using the 413 & 413F engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles