draw bar length .... how to calculate ?

rockman

Adventurer
Well .. finally going to get around to doing a trailer build .
I have a Conqueror Conquest trailer already , but due to a separation , the trailer is going to go .I was happy with the Conqueror ... when I first got it I thought the draw-bar was too short compared to the trailers over here in Aus , but when I got used to it , I found it great .
I am sure that I have read somewhere on the forum the calculations for getting the right length for the draw bar .
I am putting it behind a 80 series dual-cab cruiser Ute .
It will be using a drop-side ( 7" x 6" ) tray , roof top tent , maybe like a Adventure trailer style to look at , but at the height of a tray-back Ute . The tray will be approx 1.2mtr off the ground .

Any help with the calculations would be much appreciated .

Cheers Jim

Scott Brady

Founder
The typical school of thought is that optimal handling and manueverability will happen when the length of the ball to the first trailer axle is the same as the WB of the vehicle.

Shorter than that and maneuverability improves. Longer and stability/handling improves. With it longer the trailer may track too 'inside' on trails. Too short and it will be a handful to back up.

rockman

Adventurer
Thanks for that .....Scott

Over here in Aus , the normal length for a draw-bar is 1800mm ( 6ft ) from the coupling to the front of the main box of the trailer .
When I first got the Conqueror , I was shocked to say the least when I seen the length of the draw-bar , but it has grown on me and I have found it quite useful in the bush .

Cheers

Scott Brady

Founder
Yes, it is a clearly a design balance. Longer improves handling and gives additional space/storage. Shorter improves maneuverability in the bush.

I have actually found track width to be even more important than draw bar length. Same track as the truck and sand/mud is a much easier affair.

I was just at the Brisbane caravan show and was impressed by the number of campers available in AU. The new enclosed Conquerer is pretty serious!

P1000157.jpg

rockman

Adventurer
Yes, it is a clearly a design balance. Longer improves handling and gives additional space/storage. Shorter improves maneuverability in the bush.

I have actually found track width to be even more important than draw bar length. Same track as the truck and sand/mud is a much easier affair.

I was just at the Brisbane caravan show and was impressed by the number of campers available in AU. The new enclosed Conquerer is pretty serious!

P1000157.jpg

Nice trailer but spending around $50k on a van is not happening at the moment and I would find that I wouldn't be able to go where I have been with that size .
Also , I will have the trailer the same track width as the cruiser , same wheels ,hopefully better departure angles so that the trailer will never stop me from going places .

Cheers

jzbilodeau

The typical school of thought is that optimal handling and manueverability will happen when the length of the ball to the first trailer axle is the same as the WB of the vehicle.

Shorter than that and maneuverability improves. Longer and stability/handling improves. With it longer the trailer may track too 'inside' on trails. Too short and it will be a handful to back up.

Very good to know. I am new to the forum and am in the planning stages of building a trailer. Loads of good information here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior