Ford Superduty build.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Those look good. My next upgrade will be mirrors and bed liner. I expect to do a Carli Leveling kit and F350 blocks in the spring.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
If you haven't yet you should register at f150online.com

Great forum with tons of info. Mostly F-150's obviously but there are also lots of SD's. Nice looking truck!

D

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Thanks. I like the airbags a lot. No effect on ride when they're empty. Although my ride is fairly stiff stock. Even with a small trailer, a little air helps reduce bouncing around. Might be time for shocks. No leaks. Was easy enough to install. I took my time drilling the frame. About 6 hours. I just put the valves on my rear bumper and fill them manually. Keepin it simple.
-
My only concern is tire clearance with larger tires. Which I'll test in the spring. But the air bags are hardly any closer than the springs are. Any tire combo with 2" clearance from the spring will clear the bags easy.
-
f150 online does popup when I search for parts reviews quite a bit.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Well, when I got stuck in a grassy field without my recovery box in the bed. We had to try to flop the truck out "Highlift style" with a borrowed floor jack. Couldn't get the truck high enough to clear the rut. Didn't look like stock downtravel was hurt much. I don't think these bags effect downtravel as much as I thought. Keep in mind, if you're really loaded, like a slide in camper, you don't want max downtravel anymore. A little less droop can make the truck safer.
-
So far I haven't found anything practical enough to flex the truck to it's limits. I'll keep my eyes open. So far I have no worries like I did before about reduced travel. There was a nice casting sand hill to flex the truck on, but when I got to the top the truck dug in crushed the hill down to something a Subaru can cross. I installed the bags at nearly max length for best performance. I could shim/adjust them up for more down travel if needed. You can Remove the 4 u-bolts with an air wrench and the 2 top bag bolts with a combo wrench, un snap the air line, and the bags come right out for unloaded wheeling.
-
That Daystar thing looks interesting. I might try those. Lets the bottom of the bag be loose for stock droop. I'll let others experiment with that first. LOL. Looks optimized for Firestone bags, not Airlift. One things for sure. If we try those, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 0-10PSI ONLY in the bags before you test your flex. Air'd up bags let loose like that isn't likely a good thing. (says so about a dozen times in the instructions)
-
If I do try the Daystar spacers, I'm going to add some plate steel to the bottom of my bags first so they're more like the Firestone bags.

Last edited:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Also, I'm the admin of ford-trucks.com - the largest superduty oriented forum, so if you have any Ford specific questions, come join it :)

Flys Lo

Adventurer
That Daystar thing looks interesting. I might try those. Lets the bottom of the bag be loose for stock droop. I'll let others experiment with that first. LOL. Looks optimized for Firestone bags, not Airlift. One things for sure. If we try those, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 0-10PSI ONLY in the bags before you test your flex. Air'd up bags let loose like that isn't likely a good thing. (says so about a dozen times in the instructions)
I know the instructions say that - but in my mind, I don't think that having one end unsuspended is any worse than having the wheel off the ground and it limiting droop (in fact, I think it would be better, as the weight of the axle/wheel isn't pulling it down)

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I guess it all depends on how far off the beaten path you will be going, but I added some in red.

Well, when I got stuck in a grassy field without my recovery box in the bed.

If you're going to be in sloppy off road conditions, I would start thinking about off road tires, and possibly lockers. A grassy field shouldn't be that big an obstacle, even for a heavy truck if you have proper tires and have aired down.

We had to try to flop the truck out "Highlift style" with a borrowed floor jack. Couldn't get the truck high enough to clear the rut. Didn't look like stock downtravel was hurt much. I don't think these bags effect downtravel as much as I thought. Keep in mind, if you're really loaded, like a slide in camper, you don't want max downtravel anymore. A little less droop can make the truck safer.

It's been my experience that you always want max travel when on uneven terrain. The alternative on twisty ground, is running out of travel and lifting a tire. First, without lockers, this stops forward progress as you get one tire spinning and no traction. If that spinning tire comes down and suddenly gains traction, now you have a shock load. That breaks things. Second thing, even if you have lockers, to lift a wheel is to have the truck teeter and shift it's weight around. Better to have tires in contact with the ground. Sometimes a tire can be in the air, and when you cross that balance threshold, the truck will come down quickly. Even without a heavy load, this can lead to bad things.

-
So far I haven't found anything practical enough to flex the truck to it's limits. I'll keep my eyes open. So far I have no worries like I did before about reduced travel. There was a nice casting sand hill to flex the truck on, but when I got to the top the truck dug in crushed the hill down to something a Subaru can cross. I installed the bags at nearly max length for best performance. I could shim/adjust them up for more down travel if needed. You can Remove the 4 u-bolts with an air wrench and the 2 top bag bolts with a combo wrench, un snap the air line, and the bags come right out for unloaded wheeling.
-
-
If I do try the Daystar spacers, I'm going to add some plate steel to the bottom of my bags first so they're more like the Firestone bags.

Be safe...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's my skinny bicycle tires that are killing me on wet grass. Once you break through, no tire will help on ice cold slick grass mud. Only chains. But I'm swapping tires and suspension before my vacation in the spring. The trucks on 11-12" wide tires floated right across.
-
The tops and bottoms of Airlift bags are plastic. I might get a direct replacement Firestone bag to get the solid metal ends. But I think I might try them with my Airlift bags to see how long the plastic tops of the bags last. If the Daystar perch is an inch thick, then my bags should allways be in contact with it, only in droop will their be clearance that'll slap the bag back down after that. And obviously, I don't flex my suspension like that too often. Anytime I'm loaded with air in the bags there's very little chance of any terrain that's going to flex my suspension enough to matter if I have the Daystar pucks or not. I don't wheel with a 10k trailer behind me LOLz.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior