Currently stranded in CO

LtFuzz

Explorer
An awesome forum friend is picking up a 6.2L radiator in ABQ and driving it up to me.

Hope it fits... it's 19 1/2" tall... my custom radiator is 17 3/8... so I put a can of Skoal (2.5" diameter) on top of mine and slammed the hood down... it didn't crush the skoal can so I think there's room, but boy it'll be tight.

Wish me luck..

Donsfast

Observer
I hope that works for you....if not Farmington has some full on radiator shops and a few off road fab shops....Good Luck!

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
I was fording a stream (very slowly) and my bow wave bounced off the near shore and came back, presumably hitting my fan and bending the blades for a second enough for it to chew on the core.

Maybe, but I'm wondering if your bow wave might have pushed the radiator into the fan.
How much clearance is there between the fan and the radiator?

LtFuzz

Explorer
Maybe, but I'm wondering if your bow wave might have pushed the radiator into the fan.
How much clearance is there between the fan and the radiator?

About 2". Very possible the motor flexed, pushing the fan forward, or vice versa with the radiator. Everything was snug, but things flex. I was basically idling through the ford, very conscious of the fact I had an unprotected flexible fan spinning at about 1200 RPM.

So, what does a GMC 6.2L radiator look like under a Rover bonnet?

Not good. We were expecting this after I got the box. The website I ordered it from only gives you the f*ing CORE dimensions, not the ENTIRE FRAME, and they don't specify this -- even when I asked over the phone.

So a 34" long radiator is actually 41" long, and it's not 19" high, it's 21" high. :Wow1: So now a simple radiator swap is turning into a complex cooling conversion. All the hoses have to be extended and re-trouted. Thanks for screwing me, Performance Radiator.

So we relocated the oil cooler, and cut out and relocated one of the batteries (I have two).

smugshot9157481-M.jpg

Here's the radiator as it sits. Tomorrow we're going to see if a machine shop will cut the radiator down 3".

smugshot6574193-M.jpg

Wish me luck.

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
That last little kick in the nuts you didn't need. Good Luck with the chop. You didn't think the stocker would cool it enough?

Mike and Myles

LtFuzz

Explorer
Machine shop wouldnt touch it. Had to rent a car and drive to Pueblo and back to get another radiator. This one fits but we had to trim and reweld the neck and now we have to relocate both batteries and re-wire them.

LtFuzz

Explorer
I rented a car and bombed over to Pueblo, CO to pick up a Chevy 6.2L radiator that had the correct core height. So that's radiator try #3 for this truck in 3 days.

We put it in... it fit. Thank god. Or did it?

photo5-L.jpg

The radiator cap sat up too high, so now we had to chop that off and re-weld it.

photo6-L.jpg

Fred and I worked from 3PM to 10PM on the truck and now finally it's running. Radiator doesn't leak thus far. We changed the oil. Had to take the thermostat out because it wasn't opening fully -- we tried 3 different thermostats. But I don't plan to be in any cold climates anytime soon so I'll be okay without it.

We had to pull the windshield washer fluid reservoir and toss it -- connections are left and I kept the motors. I'll rig up something later. Had to relocate both batteries to opposite sides of the engine bay -- so we were constantly back and forth to the auto parts store to get longer hoses and cables, etc. It doesn't look quite as clean as it did (batteries held to trays with bungee cords, unsightly radiator brackets, etc.), but everything is there and it works. My mechanical thermometer is wonky, it baselines at 150F now -- probably something to do with it running a bit hot when I was on the trail. Easy enough fix when I get back home, for now I'll just have to do some quick subtraction. Coolant circulates well now after the thermostat hiccup.

Looks like I might be on the road tomorrow.

If you had changed the places to a city in a foreign country, it would be perfectly believable. Nice to know that things are still semi-remote in the US. I may head out one day and never come back, especially if it starts to look like civilization in the year 2400 CE.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
AO, that's a very interesting observation: if this were Bolivia and not Colorado, would expectations/adventure be any different?

AO, that's a very interesting observation: if this were Bolivia and not Colorado, would expectations/adventure be any different?

Nope. That's the beauty of it. We can still enjoy something like this if you know where to go. If you ask if they still believe that "God invented the Remington rifle so men could fight the dinosaurs," and the answer is yes, you're in the right place. Fortunately (depending on how you look at it), there are still places like that.

mick968

Observer
Hope to get Stranded There Next Month

I know your scenario(real issue) sucked but I am dreaming of getting stranded there after the LandRover National Rally(at least that will be my story).I love it in Colorado and couldn't think of another place I would rather "have" to stay a few extra days.Actually did get stranded there last year(Grand Junction) on way back from Moab(trailer issue) after Rally.Hung out there for a day.Good luck with all this.

KenR

I know your scenario(real issue) sucked but I am dreaming of getting stranded there after the LandRover National Rally(at least that will be my story).I love it in Colorado and couldn't think of another place I would rather "have" to stay a few extra days.Actually did get stranded there last year(Grand Junction) on way back from Moab(trailer issue) after Rally.Hung out there for a day.Good luck with all this.

A few years ago I got stranded in San Felipe for a week when my 640 Adventure engine expired. Turned out to be one of the best trips I've ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz