Currently stranded in CO

LtFuzz

Explorer
Hey guys, was wheeling in Great Sand Dunes Natl Park. Cooling fan went through radiator, lost all coolant. Had to pay $1000 to get towed to Alamosa, CO, where I am now.

I need to be back in GA next Monday. Any ideas what I can do about the radiator? Its in a custom frame and the motor is a 6.2 diesel.

LtFuzz

Explorer
here's what i'm working with

photo1-M.jpg

photo-L.jpg

LtFuzz

Explorer
Fan is good. Motor mounts are good. I ran the engine past 300 degrees for about 15 minutes trying to get back to pavement. It was sizzling good, but gaskets look okay and it starts and runs fine. No sounds to indicate cracked head or block or crankshaft. Tow guy agreed I might've dodged a bullet. Smoke is black under hard throttle and not blue. Oil is fine and clear. I also lost my power steering pump but I can live with that.

I was fording a stream (very slowly) and my bow wave bounced off the near shore and came back, presumably hitting my fan and bending the blades for a second enough for it to chew on the core.

94Discovery

Adventurer
Fan is good. Motor mounts are good. I ran the engine past 300 degrees for about 15 minutes trying to get back to pavement. It was sizzling good, but gaskets look okay and it starts and runs fine. No sounds to indicate cracked head or block or crankshaft. Tow guy agreed I might've dodged a bullet. Smoke is black under hard throttle and not blue. Oil is fine and clear. I also lost my power steering pump but I can live with that.

I was fording a stream (very slowly) and my bow wave bounced off the near shore and came back, presumably hitting my fan and bending the blades for a second enough for it to chew on the core.
i am sorry to hear that next time upgrade to an electric fan that way you can turn it off before going into some water .

LtFuzz

Explorer
Think the stock '95 3.9 radiator will have enough juice to cool a 8 cyl NA diesel?

It's a 3 core, same as the radiator I have now.

Stock 6.2L radiator is about 2 inches too wide :(

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
If the stock rad will work, Will Tillery has some on sale, new. Be aware they are calling for 100 all week....

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
i am sorry to hear that next time upgrade to an electric fan that way you can turn it off before going into some water .

I've seen electric fan blades pull into the radiator (weren't finished spinning down) or snapping and lodging in the fins, so an electric fan isn't the complete answer. I know a few guys that run a metal ring smaller than the fan diameter mounted on the radiator to prevent this from happening. Helps for body flex, too.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Is the radiator aluminum or brass? Looks like aluminum to me, but not sure.

Seems like your hard part is done, getting the truck towed off the trail and the radiator out. Just need to find a radiator shop to re-core it. If there's not one in Alamosa, surely Salida, Trinidad, Colo. Springs or certainly a few here in Denver. If it's aluminum, this might not be as easy of an option, though I'm pretty certain they can be re-cored just that it takes a better equipped shop I guess.

Last edited:

LtFuzz

Explorer

Seems like your hard part is done, getting the truck towed off the trail and the radiator out. Just need to find a radiator shop to re-core it. If there's not one in Alamosa, surely Salida, Trinidad, Colo. Springs or certainly a few here in Denver. If it's aluminum, this might not be as easy of an option, though I'm pretty certain they can be re-cored just that it takes a better equipped shop I guess.

It's alu.

Gonna try to stuff a 6.2L radiator in there today... If I can find one here in town.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
All I can say is hope it goes well for you.

If you were in the SW I know a great radiator guy in Cortez, but that's a little too far away to be much good.

reece146

Automotive Artist

Or take it to a shop to made one up in steel to get you home.

The joys of custom vehicles. :D

Roverhound

Adventurer
Did you address why the fan went into the radiator?

Edit, just read what your theory is. Sounds feasible but I would double check the motor mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online