bftanks expo projects - update, 4-28-12, mounted winch on explorer

bftank

Explorer
so i got my rotors for my disc brake conversion, finally got the new walmart radio working in the exlplorer, and found out what gears are in the f350 trans.

the zf5 was available in three varieties, close, mid, and wide ratios. i got the close ratio according to the tag on the trans. this means that first gear is 4.14:1 and 5th is 0.78:1. this works ok with the 35's but putting 37's might be pushing it. i would rather have a 5.5:1 first gear for that. with the stock 235/85r16 65mph is 2400 rpm. not ideal but it works.

if i swapped in the cummins and found a fso6406a to put behind it i could have a 6:1 1st and 0.75:1 6th. that would be perfect.

bftank

Explorer
got some welding done last week. one of my sliders for the explorer is together, just have a few places that need a touch more.
IMG_3105.JPG

and finished welding the tongue to my truck bed trailer, should be handy.
IMG_3122.JPGIMG_3113.JPGIMG_3125.JPG

reminded myself not to weld in shorts
IMG_3126.JPG

or to lean on the ground clamp while wearing a tshirt and welding. should be a cool scar.
IMG_3128.JPG

bftank

Explorer
the fun continues. saturday the wife ran a 5k and we decided to do a family trek in the explorer up the jqs trail on to the roan plateau here in the rifle area. my wife has been wanting to learn more about driving offroad so i had her drive up the trail, not really extreme but she learned about crossing washouts and managing the accelerator and brake according to what is being driven over. it was my sons first offroad trip and he was either smiling or sleeping had a great time, beautiful views and seeing all the fall colors on the trees was amazing.
IMG_3132.JPGIMG_3131.JPGIMG_3129.JPGIMG_3134.JPGIMG_3135.JPGIMG_3139.JPG

bftank

Explorer
had some more adventures this week.

went up to get fire wood with my neighbor, emmett's first snow experience.
IMG_3156.JPG

tested the strength of the liftgate against a tree
IMG_3157.JPG IMG_3160.JPG

got the extra cummins mounted on the engine stand
IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3164.JPG

finished tacking the other slider, for the explorer, together just before i ran out of gas for the mig.
IMG_3166.JPG

also removed the ball joints on the dana 44 for the suburban and bought it to a 4wd shop to have the limited slip put in. probably should have figured out how to do it myself. oh well. debating wether or not to do the crossover steering now or to wait until i have the dana 60 next year. i really like sky offroad design histeer arm with a machined groove in the knuckle for it to fit in. decisions decisions.

Attachments

• IMG_3125.JPG
    IMG_3125.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 13
  • topper 2 (2).JPG
    topper 2 (2).JPG
    171 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
got my axle back from the offroad shop. installed the driver side knuckle and painted it hammer black. i like how it turned out.

need to send out the pass knuckle to get it machined.

pulled the hydro pump on my lift gate to figure out why it was puking oil all the time. turns out the plastic tank was cracked because someone had cranked down the hose clamp in a crooked fashion. and stressed it.

Attachments

• IMG_3251.JPG
    IMG_3251.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior