Interior fishing rod racks...

voyageur

Adventurer
I am looking for a way to carry my fishing rods, inside my Discovery. I would like to find a rod rack that would somehow be attached tight to the headliner and allow the rods to be carried overhead. Tips forward reels to the rear. Any suggestions appreciated.

David

SLOwag

Adventurer
I use the Rod Loft in my Cruiser, it sits pretty much like the link I attached. It can be too low if an adult is sitting there, but maybe your Disco has more headroom. I carry fly rods and tuck the tips behind the sun visor but my 9'-6" has about 6" of the tip bent against the windshield. I don't leave it like that for extended periods but I'm ok with it like that during transit to the stream.

I like the product and mount it on the passenger side of the vehicle.

http://www.budlillys.com/budlillys/product.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=114021&pf_id=ogo_rodlft&

There are also products for carrying your rods on the outside of your rig. I don't use that style because I spend a lot time on dirt roads and don't want my reels eating all of that dust.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/fishing-rod-racks-holders.html

http://www.yagersflies.com/rodmount-racks.html

mightymike

Adventurer
Are you looking for a design that allows ready access, or just for transport on trips?

BTW-I see you are in Ft. Myers....I've done a little bit of fishing out of Pine Island......beautiful area and lots of fish!

flywgn

Explorer
I purchased a couple of inexpensive, extendable clothes bars, covered them with plumbing insulation to protect the rods, then wrapped an elastic cord from one end to the other. I use strong rubber bands to keep the end hooks of the bars secured to the hangers on the bulkhead of the vehicle. Excursions and Surburbans have four of these hangers with two just up and behind the front seats and two more in the rear of the vehicle.

I've had this type of set-up for nearly fifteen years and it has worked well for me. I don't know how much room (length) you have in your Discovery, but the interior of our Excursion accommodates all of my rods.

When using the Xterra I use a case that permits me to separate a rod into two pieces and leave the reel and line intact. This is not as convenient as the clothes rods and is more expensive.

I've experimented with the clothes-rod method in the Xterra where I separate the rod into two pieces, leave reel and line on, and wrap a bit of Velcro around the pieces. This is okay but not as tidy as using the case.

On short trips, i.e. moving upstream or downstream for just a mile or two I've used the clamps one can purchase from you favorite angler's store that are magnetized and affix to the exterior body of the vehicle. I've transported them reel-forward a few times and so far have not broken or lost a rod, but my vehicle speed probably hasn't exceeded 20 mph.

Allen R

voyageur

Adventurer
Some great ideas...

My purpose for the racks is to allow me to hang them at the ready. Sometimes just out to Pine Island Sound, sometimes all the way to Tennesse. The Discovery is very short inside. I have a Chevy Suburban that is much longer and presents less of a problem for rod-racks. I installed gun racks that install in the two side windows and I just hang the rods in them. In the Discovery no such room.

I appreciate all of the ideas and while I like DIY I have decided to order the Rod Loft. Looks like a great solution for me.....

Now... If I could just learn how to actually catch fish...

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles