Samsung solar powered netbook

haven

Expedition Leader
For all you off-the-grid, back-of-beyond travelers, Samsung will offer a solar-powered netbook for sale in USA in July. The price is $399, a little pricy for a machine with 10.1 inch, 1024 x 600 pixel display, 1GB of RAM, and a 1.66 GHz Intel Atom N570 dual core processor. At least the display has a matte finish, which will make it a little easier to use outside.

Samsung says the solar power unit, which is built into the lid of the computer, provides one hour of run time for every two hours of charging.

http://liliputing.com/2011/06/exclu...ng-to-the-us-july-3rd-for-399.html#more-35012

haven

Expedition Leader
Samsung netbook with solar panel

http://liliputing.com/2011/08/samsung-nc215-solar-netbook-now-shipping-for-392-and-up.html

Samsung is now selling its netbook with solar panel built into the lid. Two hours sitting in sunlight results in about an hour of computing. At about $400 the price is pretty reasonable, about $75 more than the comparable computer without the solar panel.

Powering a netbook is less of an issue for vehicle-dependent travel, since the vehicle can provide electric power to recharge the computer. For those Grand Canyon float trips and Treks to Everest Base Camp, the solar panel sounds like a good solution. It would be cool if the solar panel could be used to recharge other devices, too.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
That's pretty cool. If I was in the market for a netbook, this would be a contender.

Side point: I've been experimenting with external power sources and solar chargers for iPhones and iPads. The additional wattage needed to charge an iPad sure makes a difference. No charging joy on a couple of models - even in strong, direct sunlight.

Pete

off-roader

Expedition Leader
That's pretty cool. If I was in the market for a netbook, this would be a contender.

Side point: I've been experimenting with external power sources and solar chargers for iPhones and iPads. The additional wattage needed to charge an iPad sure makes a difference. No charging joy on a couple of models - even in strong, direct sunlight.

Pete

You need is 5v @ 2 amps i.e. 10 watts (via USB connector). What voltage/current ratings do the solar options offer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94