Jon Boat Off Road Trailer Project

Hello all I'm new to this forum, but have been looking at all your threads and ideas for at least a couple months.

I have a 12foot jon boat, sold the trailer 2 weeks ago and now the project of a new trailer builkd begins, I live in central wisconsin and would like to start going up north to the boundry waters and trips in northern WI and MN to the lost lakes that have no road to them. This trailer needs to be capable of it all!!!

I want to build a trailer simular to the guy that built the mil spec offroad trailers (he built jon boat trailers also) I only have one partial picture, anyone with any pics, thoughts, or ideas please help... THANKS IN ADVANCE

I havent found anything else like it anywhere, i searched everywhere online for months.

I plan to have the entire trailer build on here, hope you guys like it.:drool:

Curtis

Current plans and ideas

-31x10.5x15 bfg ATs with fullsize spare mounted on tongue(this idea may change)
-Capable of up to 35in tires
-5 on 5.5 bolt pattern (most my vehicles have this patern even my TJ)
-3500lb axle capable of adding brakes in the future
-27in leaf springs rated at 1500lb ea
-LED lighting with functioning back up lights
-2in rear reciever hitch for; bike rack, storage basket, or pulling doubles
-1.5x2.5x.125 sq tube frame with 2.5x2.5x.250 sq tube main pole
-2in reciever on front of main pole so i can use any variety of couplers i desire (mainly lunette eye)
-Safty chains attached with clevis's to D-rings welded to the main pole behind reciever(simular to mil spec offroad)

I will start adding pictures of builder parts shortly, I have many items to buy yet. Many parts I do have.:drool:

TJ has 9in rear with triangulated 4 link johny joints, currie shafts drilled 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 and adapter/spacers on front. Currently set up 5x5.5 and will stay there

my partial pic

This is the partial picture I have, you can see the back of the boat trailer in the right side of the pic.

Any one have any other pics?

Attachments

• mil.jpg
    mil.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 176

yeler

Observer
:wings: OK I have one build it in a manner that the boat is the top of your trailer, long enough to sleep in and make it so it can haul all yer crap on the inside,
if ya flip the boat upsidedown and figured the width and length it would sleep you just fine,front half can hold the gear and the back half can store you at night put doors on the sides where yer crap is and small door on back to get in with ...... TaDa an idea do I win a prize

Colby Jack

Traveler
Go for it!

I too have seen and drooled over that partial pic of the boat trailer. I wish that mil-spec hadn't folded up-- he had a great thing going, just needed to streamline his production lower his costs. Making them anywhere other than California could have helped. Another member on here bought one of his show models, and is in the process of refurbing it. The attention to detail on these rigs is stellar. I especially like all the D-ring points on the perimeter and the e-track tie-downs.

I myself love the idea of a burly boat trailer. I have a couple boats up here in Alaska, but my boat trailers are pretty flimsy, even though it is a quality name. I just recently flipped my axle over for a spring-over set up to give me a bit more wiggle room for tire clearance.

Keep us informed of your progress, and of course add many pics!!!:Wow1: Good luck with your project. If I can find anymore pics of those trailers, I'll post up.

Colby Jack

navigator

Adventurer
a 12ft jon isn't too big/heavy unless you start adding an outboard, batteries etc.
I'm thinking of building a trailer at some point that I could use with my 16ft Canoe.
My thought was to build something similar to a ladder rack for a pickup truck to go over the trailer to put the canoe on.
It might also allow me to mount some kind of awning to at some point as well.

if you are going to hand launch the boat and then add the outboard, batteries and such that would work.
If you want something you can just back into the water and float the boat off and on to that wouldn't work so well.

JPK

Explorer
a 12ft jon isn't too big/heavy unless you start adding an outboard, batteries etc.
I'm thinking of building a trailer at some point that I could use with my 16ft Canoe.
My thought was to build something similar to a ladder rack for a pickup truck to go over the trailer to put the canoe on.
It might also allow me to mount some kind of awning to at some point as well.

if you are going to hand launch the boat and then add the outboard, batteries and such that would work.
If you want something you can just back into the water and float the boat off and on to that wouldn't work so well.

I was thinking of something similar, using an M101A2 as a base. FYI, a universal ladder rack will fit on an M101 trailer. That might be a little too much trailer for some, but for others it might be perfect. Here's a link to a rack that will fit. http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Ladder_racks/Crosstread/universal_over_the_bed_truck_rack.htm The over the cab racks will also fit and they're up to 11' long, iirc.

1,000lb capacity bolted to the rails, 750lbs with extension brackets. Extra cross bars are available, and you could mount a roof top tent on the rack as well. The narrow RTT from Autohome would allow for a canoe or relatively narrow jon boat to fit alongside the tent lengthwise. Here's autohome's narrow tent called the Overcamp. http://autohomeus.com/rooftop/overcamp.php

A John boat engine could be carried on a home made "transom" bolted to either the front of the trailer or the tailgate.

Hope this psurs some ideas,

JPK

TCcruzn

Observer
off road boat trailer

7-4 bridgeport 001.jpg
I have used 3500# axles under this with bolt pattern to match jeeps. The 2 1/2" tongue slides in a 3" x 3" sleeve. I shorten the trailer up when I am not hauling canoes.

DividingCreek

Explorer
aren't those generator trailers ?
those sell cheap on govt liquidation but have rediculous springs but I'm sure you know all that

Drjames

Also have a 12 foot Jon boat on a small trailer and looking to make it more off road worthy. Thinking dropping the axle if possible ,bigger tires and maybe a rock guard of sorts. There is barley any weight to it so there isn't much mass moving around. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior