Bearing Buddies

durango_60

Explorer
Would you suggest running these on a off road trailer? I always ran them on my boat trailers that took a lot of saltwater baths but I'm not sure I see the value for this application. In fact, since they stick out past the wheel I can see running them as a detriment.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

njtaco

Explorer
The main benefit of bearing buddies is they avoid water contamination. Usually, rapid cooling of the grease during a water crossing causes water (duh) to be sucked in past the hub/axle seal, contaminating the grease and ruining the bearings. They are NOT to replace routine inspection and repacking of said bearings!

I'd run the best you can buy, and carry a spare, or at least a spare dust cap. As far as "sticking out", they are probably only going to be about 3/4 inch wider (deeper?) than the dust cap would have been.

My 2C...

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Righto Andrew....

We put them on our trailers because we expect there to be water crossings, mud, dust and wildebeasts. The spring in the BB exerts about 3 psi of pressure on the packed grease which keeps grease in the bearings as opposed to conventionally packed wheel bearing where grease can migrate away from the bearings over time.

Could they get knocked off? Well I suppose anything is possible but we haven't seen it happen yet. They are a tight press fit and take quite a bit of whacking with a large dead blow to get them off for servicing.

...and just to emphasize the previous comment, they are not a substitute for regular servicing. They serve only to enhance lubrication and protect against moisture ingress.

General recommendations for servicing on the road trailer bearings is every 12 months or 12,000 miles whichever comes first but that's for an ON ROAD trailer. Off road is brutal! 6 months or 6,000 miles is more appropriate.

FEF

I ran them. I'd do it again, in a minute.

I see pressure in that area, if even by a small spring, a good thing. I don't have to worry about grease getting into the area.

The bad part is that it sticks out a bit. If you're pullin in rocky areas, the rocks may grab the extended hub. It's something to always be aware of.

When I'm far from home, in the middle of nowhere, it's good to know that the trailer bearings are OK. It's one less thing to worry about.

In fact, I'm thinking about haveing some made for larger axles.

flywgn

Explorer
elcoyote said:
...Could they get knocked off? Well I suppose anything is possible but we haven't seen it happen yet. They are a tight press fit and take quite a bit of whacking with a large dead blow to get them off for servicing. ....

Well, they do get knocked off. I don't whether it was a wildebeest or what, but I had to get a gnu one for one wheel (bought an extra, just in case) in Kanab, UT, last month. My guess is that while fording a stream in Utah an underwater serpent, not a gneiss one either probably picked it off.

Oh my. I'm on a roll now. :)

Allen R

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
flywgn said:
Well, they do get knocked off. I don't whether it was a wildebeest or what, but I had to get a gnu one for one wheel (bought an extra, just in case) in Kanab, UT, last month. My guess is that while fording a stream in Utah an underwater serpent, not a gneiss one either probably picked it off.

Oh my. I'm on a roll now. :)

Allen R

Okay Allen, you're the first! Does your literary agent know that you're on the loose? :xxrotflma

flywgn

Explorer
elcoyote said:
Okay Allen, you're the first! Does your literary agent know that you're on the loose?

Ho, ho, ho, Mari-o,

That comment of yours is closer to the target than you know. :REOutArchery02:

Allen R.

P.S. Sorry we couldn't make the Pyramid Lake To-do (see comment on that thread)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94