Bilstein Shocks

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The additional fluid and surface area help cooling somewhat but the main function of a remote reservoir is to handle the fluid displaced by the shaft. Minute damping adjustments can be made by varying the charge pressure if the reservoir has a schrader valve.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
To put things in perspective I bought a pair of Rancho shocks at $78 each and wore them out in 2 summers of driving. I only drive my truck in the summer. The addition of the rear sway bar helps a lot. The stiffer rear springs were in place when I used the Ranchos. The Bilsteins are still like new in the performance department. I run a dual 5100 set-up in the front, shown here....

Really works well and I used the stock mounting points with a longer bolt.:ylsmoke:

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
The additional fluid and surface area help cooling somewhat but the main function of a remote reservoir is to handle the fluid displaced by the shaft. Minute damping adjustments can be made by varying the charge pressure if the reservoir has a schrader valve.

Well, not quite. I build road racing competition suspensions and shocks for a living. I'm also a Bilstein Motorsports dealer. We do use different pressures to achieve some very small changes to the shock. But it doesn't change the damping unless it is basically degassed and you loose damping once the shock oil froths. For some cars that compete under rules that do not allow them to change the spring we take advantage of the fluid displacement by using a shock with a thick shaft and a SMALLER nitrogen chamber (not a remote) so that we essentially turn the shock into a progressive gas spring. It's not the right way to use those parts, but when faced with a rule restriction we do what we can.

To make an actual damping change by changing the nitrogen pressure would require a huge change.

In most of the cars I work with, the reservoirs are there to do three things. Add more fluid to the shock and add more surface area to increase cooling, remove the floater piston (that separates the nitrogen from the oil) from the main body so you can achieve a longer stroke given a fixed length and to have a much larger nitrogen chamber (to avoid that gas spring effect) and to house the compression adjuster on double and triple adjustable dampers.

For our trucks, that second one, the additional stroke, is the important feature.

My advice to shock buyers is to use the shock with the largest piston available. There are fitment and minor weight issues going to a larger body shock, but the additional fluid, and the additional fluid that passes through the piston per mm of suspension movement is well worth it.

CodyY

Explorer
Well, not quite. I build road racing competition suspensions and shocks for a living. I'm also a Bilstein Motorsports dealer. We do use different pressures to achieve some very small changes to the shock. But it doesn't change the damping unless it is basically degassed and you loose damping once the shock oil froths. For some cars that compete under rules that do not allow them to change the spring we take advantage of the fluid displacement by using a shock with a thick shaft and a SMALLER nitrogen chamber (not a remote) so that we essentially turn the shock into a progressive gas spring. It's not the right way to use those parts, but when faced with a rule restriction we do what we can.

To make an actual damping change by changing the nitrogen pressure would require a huge change.

In most of the cars I work with, the reservoirs are there to do three things. Add more fluid to the shock and add more surface area to increase cooling, remove the floater piston (that separates the nitrogen from the oil) from the main body so you can achieve a longer stroke given a fixed length and to have a much larger nitrogen chamber (to avoid that gas spring effect) and to house the compression adjuster on double and triple adjustable dampers.

For our trucks, that second one, the additional stroke, is the important feature.

My advice to shock buyers is to use the shock with the largest piston available. There are fitment and minor weight issues going to a larger body shock, but the additional fluid, and the additional fluid that passes through the piston per mm of suspension movement is well worth it.

+1

I also build sports cars, and the remote resi does all the above, in addition to the ability (with most mfg's) to simplify valving changes to the stack itself.

In any instance, there's not a single application (expo or otherwise) where a remote resivoir is a downfall, beside packaging.

CodyY

Explorer
Also 7000's have heim joints, 5000 series use bushings.

And you can buy Bilstiens by mounting/OAL/Stroke/compressed length, instead of by application.

fox too

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I would say that for the price 5150s are a good bang for your buck. 5100s are good too. I just decided to put 2 shocks in as by my standards why buy a Rancho at almost the same price that wears out in no time. You can always go for a King or Fox shock if you are trully hardcore. Just figure on paying 4 times the price. You get what you pay for. Cheers, Chilli...:ylsmoke:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4

I am more accustomed to working with long travel offroad suspensions. Not sure what you mean by "Not Quite". Maybe I should have said minute tuning adjustments instead of damping adjustments. You are right in that the charge pressure does not vary the valving but does affect damping. The reservoir mounted compression adjusters that fox, king, etc are using all regulate the fluid displaced by the shaft for additional compression damping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz