4runner vs Tacoma = tough to choose

kweetech

Observer
Looking to get into a newer truck...have shopped all around (nissan, chevy, etc.) and have settled back on Toyota..of course.:sombrero:

Needs - hwy traveling, light commuting, back country roads/fire roads/two-track, no heavy offroad, family of 3 (little guy is 1), gear junkies (bikes, canoes, camping, fishing, skis, etc.), lots of winter use (midwest). Occasional towing - light fishing/drift boat, or very (very) rarely - small car on trailer (vw). Vehicle will see little modding...other than good tires, and maybe some light protection. Want something for at least the next 5 years...to see a lot of back country midwest, trips out west fishing/camping. I get first hand reports of both vehicles getting decent hwy mileage (high teens/low 20's..city mileage is of no concern)

We have Subaru forester for light duty/commuting. Great car...but can't handle the gear we carry these days, and its showing its age as well.
Currently selling my 04 DC...as I have fairly sizable loan, and would rather be paying for a newer vehicle.

Current thoughts ->
2006-2009 4runner w/ less than 40k, v6. I'm leaning this way. Really like the 4th gen. 4runners. More room/towing than the forester. Great on the hwy, plus able to handle more off the beaten path than the typical SUV. Great trucks.

or

2008-2011 Tacoma DC 4x4 under 40k, auto
- local dealer will give me a good trade on a decently priced 2011 DC 4x4 SR5 (non trd) certified used (1900mi). Already has a topper too. Honestly..never really need the locker for what I do (I've used it twice on my 04, just for the hell of it). Wife would rather have the double cab for the truck aspects. Great gear hauler..but the bed is fairly useless from a truck standpoint IMO, most stuff I want a truck for I want an 8ft bed. I hardly ever pull the topper off my 04, doubt I would do it on the 2011. Still its a good deal..and fits our needs fairly well. Not really too many DC's out there in my area that fit the bill, at the moment.

Ideally...I think I would rather have the 4runner, and an old chevy c10/k10 beater. The tacoma works out though (dealer will take my truck, and fills our needs), one less vehicle to own.

argh - can't decide...and it actually kept me up last night (visions of toyotas running through my head):rolleyes:

I know I'm mostly venting..but anyone want to put in 2 cents?

SLOwag

Adventurer
4 Runner...and that comes from Tacoma owner. For a young family, I belive the bed space will be "wasted space" for you.

18seeds

Explorer
Having owned both (2010 DC Tacoma Sport and currently an 07 TR4 Limited V8) I would say 4runner. But I wanted a V8 and a nicer interior. IMO the 4runner is just a nicer vehicle all around.

It's sounds like most of your gear is going to end up on your roof so the real question is will be able to take advantage of the bed of a tacoma.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
4runner and a utility trailer.

You get more "bang for the buck" with the 4runner. For one thing, you live in WI and the AWD capability of the 4runner will be very helpful (all 4th gen V6 4runners have the multi-mode T-case, which was never an option on the Taco.)

Also the unobstructed load length is longer on the 4runner with the back seats down than it is on the Taco because you have no barrier between the cargo area and the bed. And the 4runner has a shorter wheelbase which makes it much easier to turn on tight trails and/or when flipping a U-turn in traffic.

Roll down back window on the 4runner is nice, too.

I'd only say go with the Taco if you were determined to have a manual tranny. Since you're going auto anyway, might as well get the 4runner.

I went from a 1st gen ('04) Taco to a 3rd gen ('99) 4runner in 2009 and am very happy that I did. The only thing I miss about my Taco is the slightly better MPG due to the manual tranny.

98roamer

Explorer
I passed on a 02 DC Taco and went with a 98 4runner and a small 4x8 utility trailer. We love the 4runner for camping and interior room. Our friend went from a tahoe to a 1500 crew cab chevy pickup and lamented that he misses the inside room of the tahoe.

You get more "bang for the buck" with the 4runner. For one thing, you live in WI and the AWD capability of the 4runner will be very helpful (all 4th gen V6 4runners have the multi-mode T-case, which was never an option on the Taco.)

Also the unobstructed load length is longer on the 4runner with the back seats down than it is on the Taco because you have no barrier between the cargo area and the bed. And the 4runner has a shorter wheelbase which makes it much easier to turn on tight trails and/or when flipping a U-turn in traffic.

I'd only say go with the Taco if you were determined to have a manual tranny. Since you're going auto anyway, might as well get the 4runner.

I went from a 1st gen ('04) Taco to a 3rd gen ('99) 4runner in 2009 and am very happy that I did. The only thing I miss about my Taco is the slightly better MPG due to the manual tranny.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
There is no wrong choice......

I am the opposite. I just switched from a 4runner to a taco and am very happy to be back in a PU. I don't have kids but being able to separate my dogs in the back(covered by shell) and all the camping/hunting/fishing/fun gear makes packing much easier and more comfortable for the front. The 4runner was great and you cant really go wrong with either choice but if you have a lot of stuff and want to keep your passengers area clean and clutter free, a pickup is the way to go. The other benefit that I like in a pickup is, when traveling with a load in the back, the load is separated from the passenger area. If you were to have an accident/rollover/emergency braking im not sure my load separator would have stopped everything from coming forward and knocking me on my noggin. If you can find a load separator that you are comfortable with keeping your gear off you child that is good but otherwise a PU is a plus.

I don't think you can really go wrong with your decision, they are both comfortable capable rigs that will do whatever you need.

Good Luck

Idaho

Applejack

Explorer
I'd say TACO!! I went from an '05 Taco DC to a 4runner (3rd gen though) and pretty much live in regret every time we take off for an adventure. Yes we may do more off roading and remote camping than you. We have a family of 4, 3 people and a dog. In the 4unner we now have a cargo area that is completely covered in German Shepherd fur, and the plastic interior pieces are scratched and scarred from gear rub (NBD but not good for resale). There have been more than a few times when we've been camping in the wet and we longed to have the bed of a truck to through our wet and dirty gear into (packing up a wet and muddy tent is not our idea of fun) and deal with it later. Trailers are just another thing to worry about. Today's modern double cab trucks are a true "do it all" vehicle.

tacollie

Glamper
I love the short wheelbase of my 4Runner. I definitely enjoy driving it more the Tacoma. I miss being able to put my gear and dogs in the bed of a truck. My interior is wrecked. We have really cut down on the useless crap we take camping now the we don't have room for it anymore.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
DON'T buy the tacoma for an only "pickup" truck if you are used to an 8ft bed...I think you would still need the chevy beater/8ft bed from what you wrote in your initial post...whether you go with a SUV or PU...
With the short composite bed combined with the low payload...it is pretty much useless as a hauler...I have a 2005 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB and the topper stays on all the time...great hauler for outdoor toys/gear/camping stuff/what you mentioned, but no substitute for a true pickup...
That's why I have to keep a GMC long bed around for house chores...
Sounds like the 4runner / beater truck is a better solution...and I think the 4th gen 4runners are better built overall...IMO...

highspeed

I think this comes down to a dog or hauling gear question. I love my 03 T4R V8 with all wheel drive and I think it would be good for a family without dogs or the need to transport larger items. I would trade my 4runner in on a Tacoma in a heartbeat but that's just because I have dogs and need to move lumber from time to time.
The all wheel drive of the 4runner combined with traction control is a huge advantage with the 4runner as a family vehicle. Even in stock trim my 4runner can go almost anywhere I would take a Tacoma.

Good luck!

2k64runnin

Like many have mentioned before, you can't go wrong with either. I own a 4th gen 4runner and I have a 04 Tacoma ext cab at my disposal, (father n law's that is parked in my driveway). So get both, 4runner for the wife and the Taco for you. It really comes down to how much you would use the bed of the Taco. I don't regret getting the 4runner, but I'm thinking of adding a newer Taco DC, just because I can't justify the extra cost of getting a new tundra to the wife.

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Buy both!

The obvious answer is: Get Both! :victory:

I have a 2005 Tacoma Quad Cab TRD Off Road. We're taking delivery shortly on the wife's 2011 4Runner Trail Edition.

******!

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I often revisit this same question, but always end up deciding to stay with my Tacoma. This past internal argument was resolved last night as I was filling up gas tanks gas cans at the gas station and it occurred to me that I sure wouldn't want to put those inside the cabin of an SUV. Later in the evening, I threw wet lifevests in the bed and was again thankful for not having to put them in the cabin.

All in all, this will probably keep the argument at bay for another six months...

kweetech

Observer
its been a tough decision..

probably have my tacoma sold here soon (market sure has dropped out on 1st gen Tacoma double cabs..geez, can't even get kbb for it).

Anyway...my pros and cons list for both is about equal.

an 09 Trail Edition 4runner just popped up for sale not too far away....tempting:drool:

Caduceus

Adventurer

That's probably going to be tough with a one-year old strapped to said seats :Wow1:

I agree that a short bed will be a bit of a hassle if you're used to the 8 foot beds. However, the long bed, at 6 feet, is a bit more practical, if you can find it up there.

I guess it comes down to: can you you fit everything in a "box" that's the trunk of a 4-runner, or do you need a bigger box (the Taco bed)? Do you want to reach the stuff w/o getting out or not (might be an issue - WI is a tad chilly in winter). I think in terms of off-road-ability, they're both adequate for your intended uses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne