Ford Explorer Sport Trac ????

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I have always thought that the Sprt Tracs were a little pricey for what they were, however they are less than the Frontier! By accident, a 2002 (according to some the very worst year) with 146K has come up that seems to be a very good deal, based on book values and what they are going for in my area. Black and leather, tanue with bed extension, and kept up.

I may still go the Astro route, but an older one say back to 96.

But what about these Fords? I really like the looks and utilitility, it's a 4x4, so do the work well for off roading?

Very high miles for me, but it's under 7K. Custom window tint is dark with all black and decent wheels, just looks good. New tires, new battery, brakes and fresh oil change and he says no problems and just got back from a 1000+ mile trip. 20 mpg on the hwy. It's the 4.0 ^6.

I would sure appreciate some feed back as I'm meeting the guy in the AM on Fri. I'm thinking maybe this should take me to Alaska from Missouri and hopefully back, pulling a small trailer.....what do you think?????

Patman

Explorer
The Sport Trac is just as good as a regular Explorer of the same vintage. With some actual utility thrown in. I'm surprised you don't see more out there.

09silverado

My daughter had an 03 Explorer Limited 4x4 with 180k miles. I have replaced the tranny, 3 out of 4 bearing hubs, 2 out of four 4 window motors, intake manifold gasket plus the usual maintenance items. I would be concerned if the tranny had been replaced yet with 146k miles.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks guys! The tranny is original. I guess they are in the yards, I suppose it's the same for the explorer. Wonder what it would cost to replace one....? Any ideas.

What I found was this was the worst year for problems, I'm sure there were some good ones, the tranny was the number one complaint. I don't know of any way to check out an auto tranny, besides driving it. Any suggestions?

bfdiesel

Explorer
Block the front wheels hold the brakes put it in gear and push it to stall rpm. If it makes it and holds everything is fine if it goes passed stall rpm tranny has issues if it won't make stall rpm motor has issues. This is not a test I would do a lot on something but once before you buy it... maybe if I was concerned.

On the mileage if you feel it is too high keep looking. Get what you want compromise and settling usually lead to an unhappy purchase.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks! Although I don't know what "stall RPM" is, is that past idle?

Just got back and told him I had to research it. I put it in 4WD hi, turned the wheels to the left, no where near a locked turn, maybe half way as if to make a normal turn out of a parking spot, it was if the front end locked up, took lots of gas to get it to move then one of the tires barked (I think on the rear) as if I were peeling out. Seems to me the rear end is not locked and one wheel spun.

I backed slowly in 4wd and going straight was fine. Drove nice in 2wd. Last time I put it in 4wd I drove it straight, stopped, switched to 2wd and it did not come out of 4wd for about 50 feet getting up to speed, stopped, backed up ten feet, then took off and it unlocked to 2wd.

Body just has a scuff that would be buffed out, RR window shuttered on the way down, RV mirror was hanging on, small chip in the windshield, side mirrors, push the button in any dorection, they moved down. Three small dents in the hood. Leather seats were beginning to crack on the outer sides and the engine light was on, has a bad Cat, we don't have emmission inspections here. $6,800 was as low as he would go, he thinks with 146K miles and all that it's average. :Wow1:

I have 30 days to buy something or I lose my salse tax credits, a little over $400!

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
Stall rpm is just referring to when the torque converter locks up. For example, if you're at a stop and hold down the brakes you can press the gas and your rpms go up but you don't move. That is the torque converter slipping. If you keep increasing the rpm you're either gonna stall, burnout or the power will overcome the brakes and you'll start moving.

And quit trying to turn on pavement in 4x4, you're gonna f it up. Get on dirt to try it. Or get it on jack stands and test it that way.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Great thanks! Yea, we were on a parking lot and drove in the field and it did that. Tried it on dirt first, we talked about it, while I drove it onto the pavement. That's where it wouldn't unlock and had to turn some. I usually don't put any vehicle in 4wd unless it's slipery with something. Sometimes I have used 4wd in areas of snow/ice then hit the dry pavment at speed, I just drove through the dry and would hit other patches of snow or ice. I didn't know that, so should you take it out when you hit dry spots like that?

I'm thinking I'm gonna pass on it. Too many little things already and if there was a tranny or front end problem, it would be $$$$!

Chili

Explorer
If you are driving primarily on ice and you hit an occasional dry spot I wouldn't worry about it. When I have dry ruts I usually just leave it in 2 hi and drive conservatively.

And it is normal to have to back up to unlock the hubs and get it out of 4 hi. Most manufacturers list this in their owners manual. Especially with auto hubs.

Hokie

Observer
I had a 2003 Sport Trac as a company vehicle a few years ago. One of our salesmen had put 80k on it, I drove it until 130K and the company sold it to one of my friend's for his college age daughter and she is still driving it. The last I heard it was up to 175K-ish. I don't know of any major drivetrain problems other than it would eat up a set of tires in nothing. I drove it for about 2 years and put 2 sets on it. Not sure if was the tire itself (Goodyears I think) or something else with the vehicle. Other than that I never had any trouble with any of the electrics, plastic pieces (read anything easily breakable), etc.

Overall, I really liked the truck. Thumbs up to the rubber floor mats, ability to lower the rear window, ability to comfortably carry 4 people and the factory bed cover that was about 99% waterproof. Thumbs down to the ride at times (little scary if you hit a bump, lift joint, etc while in a corner). Gas mileage and power weren't great, but not horrible either. The bed size with cover made it more of a large trunk than what I would consider a true pick up.

I am currently looking for a truck and I would own one again for the right price, but it is not a truck that I actively search for. I do not understand the prices on them either. I see them all the time in the $7-10K range with 150k + miles on it and that just seems a bit high to me.

As far as the one you looked at, I would pass too. Price is lower to other by comparison but not low by any means and it seems like it has the potential to nickel and dime you to death excluding the tranny and possible 4wd problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior