RTT mounting pics/help?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Hey guys,
I found a local German shop that is going to help me with tubing for my roof rack. I need to get my Technitop RTT out of my room and on the jeep! Lol! Unfortunately, the instructions that came with the tent are... Lame? So since i am creating the mounting point from scratch i could use some pics and advice. I know a lot of folks talk about using this or that rack or these companies mounting bars ( like Thule) but my question is how? Most discussions seem to center around mounting them to the vehicle. I need intel on mounting the tent to part "X". Seems a roof "basket" wouldn't be big enough to let the tent mount inside? And if it did it did it wouldn't open rearwards without striking to top bar of an average basket. And what to use for a floor/spreader/mounting bars? Ideally i will mount the tent on the rear half and use the front part of the rack for gear and whatnot. I want the tent to open rearwards to create an awning of sorts.
So if anyone has good pics of how they affix their RTT (ESP a tecnitop) to whatever, i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys... Cheers!

Spectyr

Observer
Since I have just done my Technitop....and no one replied to my cry for help months ago lol...

I purchased some channel strut from a local fastener company (Fastenal) - this. I needed 2 10' lengths which has left me with some left over.

I then cut it down into two 5' sections. These were then bolted to the bottom of the tent shell. I then used U-bolts to secure these struts to the roof rack front and rear. I left maybe 1.5" hanging out past the edge of the tent to allow for easy securing.

5823225966_b4412d5fc1_b.jpg

5823228466_b678f5a981_b.jpg

Here is what my rack looked like before without the tent.

Edit:
My tent opens to the side because if it went to the rear, the hatch would hit it.

5822666463_2c774bce38_b.jpg

Good luck and enjoy the RTT!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Hey,
Thanks for the awesome information and great pics, that helps a bunch! I now understand better what the vague directions were implying. So you have to deploy the tent and get under the mattress to attach the support bars to the tent. Did you use large fender washers inside or some other fastener?
I like the use of the unistrut, ESP going front to back. And i like the way your rack keeps it all pretty close to the roof. I will go Tuesday or so and talk to the metal shop about my support "cage" since i still need som extra bends put I'n stuff based on ideas I've had. I also have to determine how i will attach it all to the jeep and how to make it removable. I don't have the advantage of your XJs hard roof and gutters and my old fiberglass top wouldn't support it. So on to the drawingboard!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I finally got it moving forward and got it mounted. Unfortunately mine didn't come with the outer cover and i learned just how wet the tent becomes without it!! Even with the "shell" closed it collected enough water over a couple weeks rain that the mattress is really water logged. :( i have to figure some way to get it dried out before stowing the tent again. I've left it deployed about a week but it rains a lot I'n this part of Germany. I also need to find something that will work as a replacement cover since a special ordered one would take a long time to get here.
But all I'n all i kinda dig the tent!! Way bigger than i imagined honestly... May have to look for extra fraulines to help heat it. :) I'll post pics when get to my computer asmy phone doesn't let me.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Some random pics... Mind you I have the tent just sitting 180* from how it will end up but at least its up there for now. I'm building a swing out tire carrier and trying to air the tent out at the same time so for now it is deployed open. Much more to do but I'm hoping I don't get "tapped" to head to Afganistan soon. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere...ish? :)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
still putting away...

Some random pics... Mind you I have the tent just sitting 180* from how it will end up but at least its up there for now. I'm building a swing out tire carrier and trying to air the tent out at the same time so for now it is deployed open. Much more to do but I'm hoping I don't get "tapped" to head to Afganistan soon. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere...ish? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 18

Spectyr

Observer
If you need a cover, find a place that does boat canvas and see if they can make up a new cover. Thats what I have done. Good luck!

Mark

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Thought of that...

I had thought of something like that but I don't see a lot of boat shops in the part of Germany I am in... :) Since the beast will likely be going into storage soon I may just bungie the pool "cover" over it for now and call it good.
I gotta ask.. how do you like you Technitop so far? I've opened and closed it a few times and it kinda seems like a PITA. Trying to get the material and other stuff tucked inside to let it close keeps kicking my butt. Any thoughts or suggestions? Mine didn't come with much in the way of instructions (or a cover or ladder for that matter!) so I'm not sure if I'm missing something??

Spectyr

Observer
I got mine used from a friend who got it from a friend etc. I have never seen any instructions for it.

Regarding the material spilling out the side when closing it, mine does that but there should be some elastic cords inside the tent that run side to side (one side is able to be disconnected) the when in place pull the walls towards the inside. I would take some pictures but my tent is packed away now for the winter.

Regarding the cover, have you contacted Technitop about getting a new one? I did that but the emails kind of trailed off after they said they would look into shipping to North America. They seemed willing to help at first though. If not there must be some place in Germany that does canvass work (maybe awnings for store fronts?) that you could contact. You could even get some canvass and sew your own...

Good luck.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the thoughts! One more odd question... where does the other sections of ladder (if I had them?) go when the tent isn't in use? Any guess as to how long yours is when installed? How many sections? Thanks again!

Spectyr

Observer
The top half of the ladder is hard mounted to the bottom of the tent on a hinge and folds flat on the top of the tent when stowed. There are two more sections, one about 3 feet long and one about 1 foot long. These are stowed inside the side cover of the tent that is removed when you are about to deploy the tent. All the pieced slide together and then act as a lever to open the tent.

Total ladder height is about 6 feet I would say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94