AmboVan Restarted

hobietony

Explorer
Off the vehicle for finishing and painting

m_P7090101.jpg

m_P7090103.jpg

It's kind of big heavy mother when it is all welded together. I dont really want to know the total weight.

Grinding and finishing

m_P7090105.jpg

m_P7090106.jpg

Getting the reciever welded in. More on this later...

m_P7090109.jpg

m_P7090111.jpg

Priming and painting. Just using rustoleum satin black, same as I am using for all the frame touch up, and the sliders.

m_P7090107.jpg

m_P7090112.jpg

Back on the rig

m_P7090115.jpg

m_P7090114.jpg

m_P7090129.jpg

m_P7090116.jpg

m_P7090124.jpg

And now for the annoying things - I picked up the reciever portion at a 'discount' location, because, hey, it is just a piece of tubing, right? Aparently the 'brace' portion at the end of the steel tube can be misaligned with the tube.

m_P7090130.jpg

m_P7090118.jpg

I think my alignment of the tube itself is a bit off as well, but not nearly as bad as it looks - I'll end up cutting off the brace and rewelding a new one, because I am not going to be able to stand looking at it like this.

Also, the lateral pieces the run under the box have the brace welded to the inside, and when I welded that brace, the laterals warped - didn't think a 3x3x1/4" would do that, but there you go. It ended up pulling under the vehicle so the reveal I set with the aluminum trim above is out of whack

m_P7090121.jpg

m_P7090122.jpg

I think I will try putting a big fat vertical weld up the outside of the tube, opposite the brace, and see if I can get the heat/cooling to pull it back. I'll have to think about it a bit.

Next thing is the get all the headlights/taillights back in working order, so I can drive it to get the engine/exhaust work done, so I can actually get it registered. My wife would also REALLY like to see some interior work progress, so roughing out the shapes of the cabinets/etc is on the list as well. Ready by October? We'll see...

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Hmm can you build another one of those???

Great work. I will have to check it out and steal all your ideas. One thing I was looking to include when I build one is putting a roller across the bottom. Just to make it easier when (not if) it drags its tail at some stage. Just something so it tries to go over the rock/dirt instead of grading a new path.

I have used conveyor impact rollers on our service vehicles (4x4 Hino Trucks) in the past but being out of that industry now one made of heavy wall pipe would be sufficient.

Last edited:

hobietony

Explorer
I don't think I have seen one built quite like that before, very nice work.

Maybe a bit tough to tell from the pic, but I worked out the basic design on my Tacoma, got the basic layout from looking at a lot of bumpers on the TTORA forum. Just a matter of scale...

m_P1080034.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words, pretty happy with the results

hobietony

Explorer
Next Update

It moved! Pulled it out of it's parking space for the last several months, good to know that Drive and Reverse still work
m_P7160002.jpg

m_P7160005.jpg

What else? Got a steam sprayer and blasted the underside, and got most of it repainted. (which was why I was moving it) That was the main thing in the way for getting the tail lights hooked back up, had all the wires pulled away from the frame so they wouldn't melt when I welded the sliders to the frame, and wanted everything cleaned and painted before I put them back. No pictures, but the lights on the tail of the vehicle actually work now.

Got that hitch realigned, and welded on the tow chain attachments
m_P7230043.jpg

m_P7230044.jpg

Got the trim on the box finished, and got the fender flares installed - One small item out of my bedroom/office!
m_P7230038.jpg

m_P7230039.jpg

hobietony

Explorer
Next project - Get the house batteries installed. Need them attached the the van before any interior electrical work can happen.
You may recall that the sliders had the supports spaced so that the house batteries can tuck up adjacent to the frame - Those 4d batteries are huge! It is a shoehorn operation to fit those things up where I had planned...

Battery tray for the first house battery
m_P7230018.jpg

m_P7230020.jpg

m_P7230024.jpg

Test fit - The next battery better not be any bigger
m_P7230029.jpg

Painted
m_P7240046.jpg

Drilled and tapped the slider arms to attach the tray
m_P7240047.jpg

Tray for the vehicle battery visible here, installed that a few months ago. Needed to add a short piece of square tubing for attachment of House #1
m_P7240048.jpg

Floor jack kinda a critical piece of equipment. I read on the Sportmobile forum once that you should put Sikaflex between the battery and the tray lip, so pebbles cant get between there and work their way through the plastic of the battery casing - So I did
m_P7240049.jpg

In Place
m_P7240052.jpg

m_P7240059.jpg

hobietony

Explorer
House #2 - Figured out the system for the second one
m_P7240063.jpg

I drilled the holes in place with the tray held up with clamps and a jack, keeps me from screwing up the layout
m_P7240065.jpg

m_P7240070.jpg

m_P7240069.jpg

Added a rock guard to the 2nd tray, this one is directly in front of the rear dualie, needs a bit more protection
m_P7240071.jpg

All caught up - Paint on #2 is drying overnight, will try to get that in place this week

hobietony

Explorer
Over two weeks since the last update? Got the second house battery installed, not hooked up electrically, but in place - I'll try to find a picture but really, it looks good.

time to get the front end back together. The front fenders and lower valence were pretty battered, and the fenders had those big holes cut in them for the ambulance lights. Looked on craigsllist, one of the local shuttle van companies has a yard full of vans, nothing interesting for the interior, but some good body panels. Color was a bit off though...
m_P7300006.jpg

m_P7300007.jpg

Old fenders - can't really fix a hole like this
m_P7300005.jpg

Looks even worse before it gets better
m_P7300001.jpg

m_P7300004.jpg

Took the opportunity to scrub the exposed painted metal while the body panels were off, hosed everything off, and happened to look in the winch compartment in the aluminess bumper. Holy crap, an inch of standing water! Have they never figured out that the friggin thing ponds water when a winch is installed? (covering the holes in the bottom of the compartment) The winch fasteners were corroded already, and the winch cable was threatening to corrode as well. I drilled a few drain holes in the compartment, replaced all the fasteners, looks like a bit of WD-40 and the winch cable is none the worse for wear. Seems odd that I am the first one that has had this experience with a an aluminess bumper, anybody else?

Last edited:

hobietony

Explorer
Got the new panels painted and installed, blacked out the original grille, and installed new clear lens headlights.

Starting to look like a finished product
m_P8050010.jpg

m_P8050015.jpg

m_P8050017.jpg

A reminder of the original 'vision' sketch:
AmboSketch_Page_1.jpg

AmboSketch_Page_2.jpg

My thought was always to have some sort of non-rooftop AC for the coach - didn't want the clearance problems, or to put it up there in harms way, and the topper on the sketch (still half finished in my garage) was never really designed for a heavy AC load. However, i couldn't find a reasonable alternate, and ended up buying a rooftop unit anyway. Dont want to have it on the topper, I think I am going to cantilever it off the front of the ambo box, and figure some ducting into the front of the box, instead of a direct down draft. Certainly going to be a PITA, but what isn't?

Find a place for this:
m_P8060023.jpg

Try to figure something in aluminum, dont look to close at the welds
m_P8060022.jpg

Got this far - the upper bars are to protect the AC unit, there will be a brace going back to the face of the ambo box (and yes, it will be flat, not angled up)
m_P8070006.jpg

m_P8070004.jpg

I think I am on the right track, thought it would be much more obtrusive. How do people weld aluminum anyway? I look at some cheap-a** walmart bike, the welds are these great stacked-dimes beads. Mine look like bubble gum, it's annoying, and I pretty much have to commit to grinding everything smooth

Last edited:

hobietony

Explorer
Finally, drove it again! Went roaring around the neighborhood, felt good to have it roll again.

m_P8070024.jpg

m_P8070026.jpg

m_P8070027.jpg

m_P8070029.jpg

Drove it to the exhaust shop this week, new 4' exhaust from the turbo back, fix the manifold leak, new donuts at all the connections. Diesel shop after that to get all the oil leaks fixed, and get some tuning to match the new exhaust. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
How do people weld aluminum anyway? I look at some cheap-a** walmart bike, the welds are these great stacked-dimes beads. Mine look like bubble gum, it's annoying, and I pretty much have to commit to grinding everything smooth

Either by TIG which is the best way, or robotic MIG which has a steadier and more consistent speed than most humans can duplicate, although I know a few guys that can rival TIG with a MIG setup, but they have been doing it for a living all their lives. The van is looking very good - did you paint the front end stuff yourself or farm it out to a body shop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles