AmboVan Restarted

hobietony

Explorer
Either by TIG which is the best way, or robotic MIG which has a steadier and more consistent speed than most humans can duplicate, although I know a few guys that can rival TIG with a MIG setup, but they have been doing it for a living all their lives. The van is looking very good - did you paint the front end stuff yourself or farm it out to a body shop?

I guess I know about TIG vs MIG, but I just thought that I can lay a decent bead on steel, how much harder can a spool gun be?

I took the body panels to a guy with a paint booth in his garage - he did a good job, I'm glad I farmed out those panels.

Photog

Explorer
Preparing the aluminum for welding is critical to a good weld (MIG or TIG). You must sand off any surface that might get pulled into the weld puddle. Aluminum oxide does not melt in a weld puddle, and will make a mess of welds.

Your van is coming along nicely.

Maybe you could mount the AC in the roof basket, on the cab. Then duct it back into the front of the box, through plenum.

Another option would be to notch and recess an area in the topper, to place the AC unit. Good protection and proper placement for comfort.

tribeof5

Adventurer
Looking great. Man I wished I would have driven down to Chris' shop when the Ambo was in Asheville. You got me thinking I need one. LOL who "needs" anything??

hobietony

Explorer
Nothing to see here...

Organized my photobucket folders, and found out I broke all the picture links - Annoying, but should be back now. Still have all broke links on the old thread, however.

Picked up the rig from the exhaust shop this week, it is AMAZING how much quieter it is in the cab when all of the exhause is actually going out the tailpipe, and not rattling around in the doghouse. Getting the oil leaks fixed this week, and getting a tuner installed, should pick up next week.

hobietony

Explorer
Off-road Test drive

Alright, got the van back from the shop on Friday, got all the oil leaks fixed, and added a tuning chip - Holy s#$%, what a difference. Push a button, 80 more horsepower? I'll take it! Yes, there is a cloud of diesel smoke when I jump on it, but I already cant stand having on the stock setting, feels like I'm dragging an anchor. Drove it to Phoenix and back this weekend to get some hiway miles, got pretty much the same milage I got on my delivery drive - somewhere around 12, using the +80hp setting on the tuner. (I do have a lot of air to push out of the way with that square box). The +140hp setting is just silly - I can feel the whole frame twist when I jump on it. I have some significant thermal issues to take of - Insulate the doghouse, put down some carpet, ordered a dashmat, badly need to charge the AC - There was no hope of keeping up with the 108 outside, and I sure wont get my wife back in it without figuring how to make it cooler.

On Sunday, with the reliability proven by four hours on the hiway, I took the rig out to the Chiva Falls area for it's break-in drive, and I have to say it dramatically exceeded expectations. Hopped up diesel + low range = remarkable crawling ability. I am convinced if I can fit through it, I can get over it. A few poser shots:

m_P8280029.jpg

m_P8280025.jpg

Actually used the sliders - good scratches on both of them
m_P8280027.jpg

m_P8280031.jpg

Pretty good droop on the front
m_P8280007.jpg

Back fits up in the wells pretty good also
m_P8280011.jpg

Those mesquite really lay down the 'Arizona Pinstriping', more convinced that ever that a pimped out paint job is way down on the list - Just repaint it white to cover up the "Cushing, OK Fire Department" logo outline, and maybe a black stripe where it is now red.
m_P8280040.jpg

Funny story though, as we were driving the dirt road, everybody pulled over to let us pass - so maybe having the red stripe isn't so bad...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Awesome pics, and good flex, even with the sway bar hooked up! Love that this rig is finally coming together the way you want.

brettf

Adventurer
SICK. I love it. Seriously considering selling my V10 Ford 1-ton EB 4x4 U-joint and finding a diesel ambulance...

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Funny story though, as we were driving the dirt road, everybody pulled over to let us pass - so maybe having the red stripe isn't so bad...

I love everything you've done. That thing is awesome. I'd keep it somewhat "offical" looking. I like the black stripe idea. Maybe AMBOVAN reverse printed across the hood?

ExpoMike

Man that thing is looking great!!!! Nice flex shots and really surprised me on how well it flexed.

Keep up the great work!

r_w

Adventurer
I checked, and I couldn't find where I ordered them. The best I can say is 'Off the Internet". Sorry.

Any guess as to the brand? Anzo, KS, Spec-D, ???

I need to either get new lenses or retrofit to standard halogens (cibies). Mine are amber fog lamps right now.

The rig is looking sharp, BTW! :drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles