AmboVan Restarted

hobietony

Explorer
Abitibi - Its funny, I'm not really patient, more like I've set myself down this path, there is no going back, and the only way through is to push through. So more like a case of stubbornness combined with fear of failure, with an understanding of how awesome it will be when it is done - a powerful set of motivations.

hobietony

Explorer
Just posting to note that there are 6 ambulance build threads on the first page of the 4x4 van forum, 3 more on the next 2 pages, and one at the top of the 'other campers' forum. Just sayin'.

cjken

Explorer
I guess you and the MEGA-AMBO guy have started a revolution!!!
Now everyone is doing it!!
Thank you for the inspiration.

tribeof5

Adventurer
Yeah and that doesn't even count those of us who have builds goin that haven't started a thread yet!! My rig is under construction as we speak. I will start a thread when I return home from vacation. Lots of progress taking Olaf while I am gone. At least I hope there is. Lol!!

hobietony

Explorer
I guess you and the MEGA-AMBO guy have started a revolution!!!
Now everyone is doing it!!
Thank you for the inspiration.

Actually, Naterry started it with the original Ute - I blame him

Yeah and that doesn't even count those of us who have builds goin that haven't started a thread yet!! My rig is under construction as we speak. I will start a thread when I return home from vacation. Lots of progress taking Olaf while I am gone. At least I hope there is. Lol!!

[Fargo Voice] Ya, progress taking Olaf! [/Fargo Voice]

hobietony

Explorer
Electrical work just doesn't photograph in the riveting way that, say, welding does. But whatever, that is where I'm at now

Reinstalling the ambo lights, didn't want to carve into the top, made a box
m_P7230094_zps1e9472d5.jpg

m_P7230104_zpsf46d951a.jpg

-
I'll need to make some additional chases to cover the wiring along the center support
m_P7230105_zps531187d7.jpg

-
Fan goes here, no wait, here...
m_P7230106_zps3567aaaa.jpg

-
Got one of these for the exterior lights, this one is mostly the interior/compartment lighting, still have another of these to put together for the 12v power requirements - outlets, fridge, fan, etc.
m_P7230108_zpsaf2f89d3.jpg

m_P7230107_zps8ea3d611.jpg

-
Still a ways to go on the wiring phase, need to hook up the inverter/charger, rough in all the 120, and get everything run through the switches and the panelboard. Work Continues...

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice clean wiring... and yea, split loom doesn't look all that kool in photos. I am super picky when it comes to wiring, do it right and clean and factory looking or it makes me nuts (I claim I have OCD...probably do) so I can appreciate the time it took to run all that as clean as you did.

Nice work on the lights in the roof...that will look good.

gringorick

Adventurer
Good job on the wiring! Rats nests make me crazy too! I am working on my electrical now too. Tedious work if you want it clean.

hobietony

Explorer
Looks like the whole ambo group is playing with wires this week
-
Got the 12v circuiting mostly complete, no fixture/light/etc until the finishes go in, but the interior distribution panels are done
P7280001_zps519ad22a.jpg

P7280003_zps4236bbb2.jpg

-
Hooked up all the interior circuits to the ambo relay board, got everything labeled, and tidied up some of the work I had done earlier
P7280005_zps316386fb.jpg

-
The sort of job to let your OCD freak flag fly
I-have-CDO_zps7e0a8795.jpg

-
Still waiting on a Blue Sea fuse board, should be here on Mon, got a couple unswitched interior circuits I want to run off the coach battery, but want to be hot all the time - compartment lighting, courtesy lights for the ambo doors, and 'door ajar' warning lights in the cab. This week should be able to get the rest of the 12v 'other stuff' run - HID off road lighting, get the compressor reinstalled, one or two other things I'm forgetting. 120v rough in after that, with the install of the inverter/charger/monitoring system to tie it all together. Hopefully on to something else in a couple weeks...

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
The relay board with a main bus is pretty cool of dispersing power in the back yet having low amp switches elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles