Transfer case options

silverscout

Adventurer
I've been mulling over the idea of throwing in a stock, diff locked, Discovery t-case into my 03 Disco. I know the 04 is a direct bolt on with a stock diff lock but is a 2000 Discovery a direct bolt on? I only ask because I have the option of purchasing one. Although the diff lock was an option in some of the earlier series II, I am under the assumption they can be easily modified to have a diff lock. Also, does any one know if that would affect the traction control?

Thanks

silverscout

Adventurer
By searching Discoweb.org I found yes, I can put a 2000 t-case in my 03 and it should be a direct bolt on. In fact I would have the bennifits of a CDL and traction control! Of coarse there is the linkage issue but that’s not too much of a concern. I'm almost positive this would void my warranty, so I might hold off.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I would think that they wouldn't even be wise to the fact that an exchange had been made.

Are you ready to use it for some light wheeling?

silverscout

Adventurer
Although the dealer most likely wouldn’t realize I made the switch to a different t-case, I'm not enough of a gambling man to find out. With all the bad press I've heard about LR dealers and their warranties and the fact that I've already had the truck in twice, I'd hate to loose my warranty over this. Nope, I know I'll need that warranty in the future, I will ask about them swapping out the t-case though. Good idea Gary.

But you’re feeling me Louis. I've pulled out my back country guide book and with a grin on my face I'm curious how far down that dirt road I can get. I'm tritely fighting the urge to upgrade. I think I can do it......

I will be pulling the wheels, hoses and serpentine belt off this other Disco for trail spares. I really dont see the need for too much else as I dont plan on going any bigger. Can you guys think of anything?

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
With the right finesse and judgment you can navigate quite abit with the TC.

You have the Scout for the rough stuff, Just let the Disco be for now, mod it accordingly, ie: nice 2in lift, 32's and a set of shocks and it will do all the light wheeling you could imagine.

Don't fight the urge... embrace it. I did and dont regret any of it and I dont think you will either!

david despain

Adventurer
silverscout said:
I will be pulling the wheels, hoses and serpentine belt off this other Disco for trail spares. I really dont see the need for too much else as I dont plan on going any bigger. Can you guys think of anything?

whats the deal w/ the spares truck? I would grab the whole thing if thats an option for you, but if not get what you can. MAF sensor assembly can be removed w/ no tools in a few seconds. Definitly grab that! if you have some time and tools i would get the alternator, not a huge failure rate or known problem but they are not cheap and they are right on top. abs modulator assembly, high failure item and pretty easy to get out. just keep the lines capped, unit sealed etc. when its in storage. abs sensors/hubs if you can. radiator. starter. OH OH get the front drive shaft and rebuild it at your lesiure. any of the computers that you can. if u ever need them they might have to be reprogramed at the dealer but those can never be cheap to buy new later on. you can never have too many spare parts as far as im concerned.

silverscout

Adventurer
Lois, the force is strong with you. But I am a Jedi and I won't join the dark side! I must resist the temptation! Must not lift....the truck......... No, a good set of tires is all I need with this truck. The spares are for just in case, you never know.

There's a local guy who rolled his stock 00 Disco. Thankfully he was alright, after the multiple stiches to his head. He's parting it out. Lucky me. All right, off to Discoweb to find out about that MAF. Thanks David.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94