Thoughts on flat beds & tool bodies

wcdu

Observer
Can anyone on the list share thier experience with either the typical "work" bodies with all the tool box spaces & storage and/or the flat beds. I am thinking F-250/350. My overlanding is more freeway than anything with virtually zero rock crawling. I do live in the back country so just going for beer sometimes involves 4 wheel drive. My primary question is if they add much weight thus reducing towing / hauling.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I've also been desiring to put a flatbed on my truck, but I've heard so many second/third hand stories about having to stop at weigh stations. Does anyone know the actual states that enforce those laws?

-Chris

bftank

Explorer
you only have to stop at a dot station if you have a registered dot number posted on the truck.

if my truck didn't have a tommy gate on the back i would be looking to put a flatbed on it. they are very versatile and a lot harder to damage than a stock bed. i think the utility box beds can be very useful but they restrict what you can take off of the bed weight wise, and what can be loaded on it size wise.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
I have A Custom Aluminum Flatbed designed by me & built by Les Schwab in Prineville Oregon on My 2003 Crew Cab F-350 PSD.
With the 3/4 inch recycled tire mat it Weights within 30 lbs of the stock bed.
I love my Flatbed so verstale. I carry Motorcycls, Snowmobiles or Side by Side ATV's while pulling my 34 Ft. Travel Trailer.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I have a Ute bed on my Frontier and it is far lighter than the stock bed. They have their advantages, just remember it will raise your deck height, in my case 8 inches.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I've also been desiring to put a flatbed on my truck, but I've heard so many second/third hand stories about having to stop at weigh stations. Does anyone know the actual states that enforce those laws?

-Chris

I drive right by the weigh stations and never have a problem. Love the flat bed. Wouldn't have a regular bed on another pickup. If you want a cap on a truck, a cap on a flatbed would have a huge amount of usable room.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Our 2002 F-350 has a tool bed. It's very useful for stowing all kinds of stuff. We mostly carry recovery equipment in it, but we do have an air compressor in one, some tools, etc. Very handy.

P6230685.jpg

- Andy

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader

-Chris

CHP can and will chase you down if you go by a weigh station in a flatbed pickup. Not every time and not every officer will. CA has been requiring flatbeds, contractor beds, etc, to purchase a CA number. My dad got pulled over back in the 70's with his old Ford flatbed and told he had to go through the weigh station. I know when I used it in the late 80's to haul firewood I had to go through the weigh station too.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
CHP can and will chase you down if you go by a weigh station in a flatbed pickup. Not every time and not every officer will. CA has been requiring flatbeds, contractor beds, etc, to purchase a CA number. My dad got pulled over back in the 70's with his old Ford flatbed and told he had to go through the weigh station. I know when I used it in the late 80's to haul firewood I had to go through the weigh station too.
Sounds like one more real good reason to move out of the People's Republik of CA.

tbared

Life participant
in midwestern and plaines states they dont want you in the weigh station with flat beds. Too many guys run them. Unless youre moveing machinery on a gooseneck we go right by.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a slick Superduty with utility body and camper that forum member Slooowr6 spotted in Yellowstone a couple of years ago. There was a thread discussing this truck, but I can't find it right now.

173756052_F7RQU-M.jpg

264188832_FH86L-M.jpg

264188362_CvMJ5-M.jpg

surfbark

I love mine!

I was running a shell and full bed kit but this is the current incarnation.... love it!
I have an oasis compressor, batteries, water tank and soon an inverter and solar panels. mytrucksubstation.jpeg

wcdu

Observer
What is the verdict on weight difference? Both look like quite satisfactory but totally different options. The off road support vehicle appears to have the same contours as the standard bed. Is that the case?

I was looking at all the used trucks available, especially in the Denver area. I was thinking I might do a build of some sort. That support vehicle may tempt me to look at a new vehicle.

Thanks all,

Steve

haven

Expedition Leader
You have to be careful when choosing a utility body. Sometimes they are specifed with deep compartments, making a tight fit for slide-in truck campers. And the height of the tool compartments can be taller than the standard pickup bed sides. Just check dimensions of truck and camper beforehand.

Here's another camper on a utility body, from the Alaskan Camper web site. As the web site says, Alaskan has been mounting campers on utility body pickups for 50 years.

Alaskan_Camper01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles