Stupid Mistake - I drove a G500 today

I have seen as high as 19-20mpg out of my g500 on the freeway and get about 14mpg around town. I think it does just fine on MPGs. What can you expect, it is a 6000lb brick.

K u r t

I have seen as high as 19-20mpg out of my g500 on the freeway and get about 14mpg around town. I think it does just fine on MPGs. What can you expect, it is a 6000lb brick.

I've had similar results in my '02 G500. Usually 15-17 mpg everywhere by going easy on the pedal - have seen a hair over 18, too! Sure, driving >80 on the freeway or gassing hard in stop-go delivers 12-13. To me this is very acceptable mpg for what the rig is.

All-Terrain

No Road Required

I absolutely do not buy it. There's no way in hell, not unless you're cruising on the freeway at 20 MPH with a tailwind.

My un-modified extremely clean '03 G500 has never done better than 15 MPG, and it only has 24k miles on it (not a typo). Not on hot days or on cold days. Not when it had brand new Bridgestone all-season's on it, or now that it has new Yokohama all-terrain's. I live at sea level, basically flat terrain, very open highways with no stopping and going on the Interstate. I use cruise control as much as is practical, because I am trying to maximize my gas mileage to the extent reasonably possible. I'm not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination. And I still only get 15 MPG.

I would say 14-15 MPG is a realistic highway number at a normal 70-75 MPH speed, 11-12 MPG in town, and 10 MPG off-road in low range. + or - 1 MPG ballpark. Anything else is just imaginary or miscalculated.

To say you got 20 MPG on the highway is to say you got almost 40% higher mileage than the factory states or than anyone else with a G500. It's just not true.

EDIT:

Further comparisons, based on my own current or previous vehicles:

'96 Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser), 4.5L straight 6, 32" all-terrain's - approx 14 MPG highway.
'97 Mitsubishi Montero SR, 3.5L V6 with 4spd auto, 31" all-terrain's - approx 16 MPG highway.
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 with 5spd manual, 32" all-terrain's - approx 18 MPG highway.
'05 Mercedes ML350, 3.7L V6 with 5spd auto, 29" all-season's - approx 18 MPG highway.

All of these trucks were stock. All of these trucks are smaller, lighter, and more aerodynamic than a G500. All of these trucks have smaller engines and comparably-sized or smaller tires. Not one of these trucks got the mileage you say you got with a G500.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
These are the only 2 G's I know of in the USA who are getting extraordinary mileage. Maybe your frames were filled with helium? ;)

K u r t

Congrats on the feature of your most admirable G, Jeremy! A truly fantastic build. BTW, I'm a native Oregonian and feel deep, kindred resonance ;)

Regarding the MPG of my G, I must say perhaps one outstanding difference between mine and most others is total mileage. Ours, named Gretel, has logged 145.6k since we took delivery in late '01.

Besides the Helium-in-frame option, we ticked the G-T3 box which includes weight saving mods from Graz like sunroof delete, radio and power windows delete, thin glass, Ti exhaust and Carbon brakes. Don't any of you guys have this?

In all seriousness, I drive the G easy and it (perhaps in its late and very broken-in age) delivers reasonable MPG. It was not like this when new.

I didn't drive a whole lot today, but here's a pic of the fading liquid crystals after driving to town and around the countryside with 4 stops (engine shutdown and restart) in total and then back home. I never went over 65 mph and didn't lock the diffs or rock crawl. Pardon the trail dust.

G Mileage.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Congrats on the feature of your most admirable G, Jeremy! A truly fantastic build. BTW, I'm a native Oregonian and feel deep, kindred resonance ;)

Regarding the MPG of my G, I must say perhaps one outstanding difference between mine and most others is total mileage. Ours, named Gretel, has logged 145.6k since we took delivery in late '01.

Besides the Helium-in-frame option, we ticked the G-T3 box which includes weight saving mods from Graz like sunroof delete, radio and power windows delete, thin glass, Ti exhaust and Carbon brakes. Don't any of you guys have this?

In all seriousness, I drive the G easy and it (perhaps in its late and very broken-in age) delivers reasonable MPG. It was not like this when new.

I didn't drive a whole lot today, but here's a pic of the fading liquid crystals after driving to town and around the countryside with 4 stops (engine shutdown and restart) in total and then back home. I never went over 65 mph and didn't lock the diffs or rock crawl. Pardon the trail dust.

View attachment 236415

Thank you very much Kurt!! I appreciate you helping to prove my point about current/ex-Oregonian's being G fanatics. :smiley_drive:

Mileage is interesting, 4D55 what do you have for mileage? (I'm at 114k)

Aha, I knew you had some factory mods to help you achieve your mileage! I'm curious why you didn't also chose "exclusive options" like;
--carbon fixed-back front seats w/ manual adjusters
--rear seat delete
--a/c delete
--reinforced aluminum fenders, hood, doors(or better yet the carbon composite panels!)
--carbon driveshafts
--Cup mirrors for better aero
To achieve your MPG you must have gone with the 13" Minilite wheels however?
I will be sure to include these options in my upcoming G-Wagen buyer's guide, so those ordering 2016 G's from Graz remember to lighten their load. :cool:

I love when my LCD pixelates when it's 92deg out, the secret vanishing display.
Long live the G!

ScottReb

Adventurer
I have gotten 17+mpg with freeway trips. I average about 13mpg on most of my driving. 2002 96000miles. I live in foothills of Sierra Nevada so a lot of elevation changing on most driving. Best mileage is when Im headed out to the coast or SF. Nice and flat. This is with fill up/mile calculation and computer, which for me is only about 2-3% off. Still have stock size tires on.

Nobody is buying the G for is gas mileage, but it could be worse...

K u r t

Thank you very much Kurt!! I appreciate you helping to prove my point about current/ex-Oregonian's being G fanatics. :smiley_drive:

Mileage is interesting, 4D55 what do you have for mileage? (I'm at 114k)

Aha, I knew you had some factory mods to help you achieve your mileage! I'm curious why you didn't also chose "exclusive options" like;
--carbon fixed-back front seats w/ manual adjusters
--rear seat delete
--a/c delete
--reinforced aluminum fenders, hood, doors(or better yet the carbon composite panels!)
--carbon driveshafts
--Cup mirrors for better aero
To achieve your MPG you must have gone with the 13" Minilite wheels however?
I will be sure to include these options in my upcoming G-Wagen buyer's guide, so those ordering 2016 G's from Graz remember to lighten their load. :cool:

I love when my LCD pixelates when it's 92deg out, the secret vanishing display.
Long live the G!

J-
It's true that Oregon is G Wagen country. I saw my first one (a tan 460 lwb) as a kid in Bend around '88 and have loved em since. Around 2000 my two brothers and I smuggled a rusty '84 280 GE in from Castlegar, B.C. Such a precious memory when the big hat border agent asked "you boys importing anything?" -we sat in the idling green G with front plate delete. "These apples okay to bring in?" we asked... not a flinch.. he wanted only booze; we cruised on through ;)

K u r t

Somewhere in Laguna or Paris or Dubai resides the Cup-mirrored G you dream about......

You serious about G Wagen Buyers Guide? Or just joshing?

RBA

Adventurer
Wow, 16.9?!? Damn...I wish I could get that. I can get slightly over 15mpg with overinflated tires and keeping it under 60mph, and accelerating VERY slowly but as soon as I drive normal 13.5

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
So now there are 3 with over 16.5mpg....you all must have the helium frame option! ;)

LOL Kurt, you apple smuggler you.
I'm sure there is a G with Cup mirrors in Dubai. Probably the one wearing the Mansory carbon kit.
Yes, serious about the b.g.(shhh, it's an upcoming secret)

zimm

Expedition Leader
48 miles and a trip computer is statistically useless due to sample size and instrument inaccuracy. show me 3000 miles on the computer and gps mileage/fuel receipts to back that 16.9 up.

in full offroad dress my lexus is 10 or below over 1000 miles, but i can do better than 16.9 going east from sommeset towards philly. . . . at least for 48 miles. we'll ignore the fact i have to get home by going back up the mountain against the wind.

engine size doesnt always work like you wan either. i recall switching from 1 ton e350's/460cid to 3/4 ton 5.8/FI. heavy service vans loaded are heavy service vans loaded. no savings. the smaller motors just spent more time in lower gear.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior