Stupid Mistake - I drove a G500 today

Navman

Adventurer
I've been thinking of picking up a Range Rover Classic as a play vehicle and decided I may as well drive a G to get it out of my system. I new there would be something about it that I didn't like and then I could just forget about them.

Well, other than the color I loved it. 3 Factory diff locks - how could you not like that? Haha, I used to think the Discovery was cool because it came from the factory with a weatherband radio. The 3 magic buttons on the dash of the G ups the cool factor a bit.

Hmmm. Now I can't stop thinking about it. This could get expensive. An 11 year old vehicle listed for $25k?

Navman

Adventurer
I think the 10-12 mpg average consumption is the major problem.

That was always my number one reason why I would never own one. But, when you set your mind on something you find way to justify your actions. So I figured now that I'm starting to work from home some, bike/train commuting and spending less on gas, wouldn't be used as a DD, ...

Of course, when you do the calculation on how much it's going to cost in gas to go to xxxxx, then you start to rethink things.

REDROVER

Explorer
Sorry Guys,

did you miss this one? A turbo Diesel G-wagen......one of only 3 in the US.

No sparkplugs and over 20 MPG!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...0012151?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cf81aac77

my buddy has 2003 G400 TD. here in LA :) one awesome 4x4, that sounds like tow truck :)

i think the only down side is you cant find parts for it. unless u go to dealer and pay the piper super high price. ( headlight is $1950 ) gas price is no problem at all. almost evey good 4x4 will be 11or 12 mpg.
my rover WAS 11 mpg

i am just wondering why not convert it to diesel? my be i should do it

burquedoka

Adventurer
The newer 463's bare a bit of a challenge to convert to diesel due to computerized
do-dads and such, it is possible and I intend to look into it more when my 500 needs a transplant (no time soon I hope). The older 460's, no problem with the conversion, just an older platform.

You should know that searching aimlessly for parts and $2000 headlights are misconceptions, to say the least. Though, on second thought if it keeps the yea-hoos from jumping on board and snatching up, and blinging out all the coolest hand built 4x4's ever made, then, YES the lights do cost $2000 and I think the lug nuts are something like $500 each:Wow1:

otiswesty

Regular guy
Stupid Mistake - I drove a G500 today

That was my mistake 3 years ago. Now I have a sweet G500 instead of a pristine 300GD fuel sipping #2 lane 4x4

There is another 463 300GD on ebay right now. SWB, manual tranny...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I've been thinking of picking up a Range Rover Classic as a play vehicle and decided I may as well drive a G to get it out of my system. I new there would be something about it that I didn't like and then I could just forget about them.

Well, other than the color I loved it. 3 Factory diff locks - how could you not like that? Haha, I used to think the Discovery was cool because it came from the factory with a weatherband radio. The 3 magic buttons on the dash of the G ups the cool factor a bit.

Hmmm. Now I can't stop thinking about it. This could get expensive. An 11 year old vehicle listed for $25k?

$25k for a G500, depending on mileage and condition, is a deal!

G's frickin rock, no way around it.

Crappy MPG? That's the ONLY downside I see to them besides the cost for certain parts. How many downsides can I find with other rigs? So many more...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles