Off road style Tear drop trailer design

jzbilodeau

Hello everyone, I am a fairly new user to the forum. I found stomperxj's teardrop build thread searching google for ideas and I love the design, especially being a fellow cherokee owner. I have recently done some designing in sketchup of a larger version, that I, at 6' can fit and sleep. And also still have some storage space in the back for the kitchen area. I am not sure of the gas can holder, that maybe removed. Please leave your comments and feed back and let me know what you think. Here are some pics:
Off road camper- larger version- JPEG 4.jpg
Off road camper- larger version- hatch 1.jpg
Off road camper- larger version- JPEG 3.jpg
Off road camper- larger version- hatch-2.jpg
Off road camper- larger version- interior 4.jpg
Off road camper- larger version- interior 3.jpg
Off road camper- larger version- interior 1.jpg

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
That is very nice and I plan on following that overall shape, but maybe with some bump-outs on the sides.

All of my most memorable camping trips seem to be those when it rained cats and dogs or during bad weather conditions. I just can't understand why so many trailers only have an outside access to the galley/kitchen, as if you only get hungry during fair weather conditions. :snorkel:

I'm planning on have access to the fridge, stove and storage from the inside first, then maybe a hatch for outside access along the side.

Blderman

Looks great! If it were me I would remove the built in gas tank nook. That is taking up a lot of extra space and will require some tricky building of the rear hatch. A lot of the other builders on this site have fabricated some steel holders that either weld to the frame or bolt to the body. Look forward to seeing it built!

Jason

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Nice drawing skills.
The gas tank on the rear look to be a prefect place for a water can with the supply spigot on the bottom.
My guess is the propane tank is just oversized in the drawing, yes?

Ted_Z

Adventurer
Might I suggest moving the jerry can from the rear to the tongue? Remove the water cans from the tongue and use a small water tank hung under the body.

stomperxj

Explorer
I just can't understand why so many trailers only have an outside access to the galley/kitchen, as if you only get hungry during fair weather conditions.
I'm planning on have access to the fridge, stove and storage from the inside first, then maybe a hatch for outside access along the side.

They are built like that for structural purposes. The galley/counter walls act as a stiffener and make the body into a torsion box. I'd love to see an inside galley in a small trailer though. Sounds cool-

Looks great! If it were me I would remove the built in gas tank nook. That is taking up a lot of extra space and will require some tricky building of the rear hatch. A lot of the other builders on this site have fabricated some steel holders that either weld to the frame or bolt to the body. Look forward to seeing it built!

Jason

I agree with Jason... those nooks are cool looking but will be hard to build and add complexity to the body.

Overall i like it JZ... looks good. Axle placement looks good too...

jzbilodeau

Might I suggest moving the jerry can from the rear to the tongue? Remove the water cans from the tongue and use a small water tank hung under the body.

I would love to do this and have a built in water tank, if I have enough funds it will definitely happen.

jzbilodeau

Thanks for all the feed back! I also agree about the jerry can in the back, I think that will be eliminated from the plan. I can also add a mount to a rear tire swing. And for axle placement I had read that distance from the coupler to the axle should be approximately the same distance as the wheel base on the vehicle so i tried to stick to that.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hi, having some access to the kitchen from the inside is not hard to design, other teardrops have them. There is no difference structurally which way the kitchen faces, its accomplished with framing .The back wall inside can simply have doors allowing a reach-in to food storage and water, a fold down door forming a shelf can give access to the stove. Nothing more than a pass throughs.

The use of tambor roll up doors would be nice. These doors are found at box stores. They are used on corner cabinets, the bread box area. The can be made, simply gluing half dowels or strips to canvas and router out a track in the door frame.

A sliding fridge can slide both to the front and to the inside, so can a stove and sink. You can roll them inside as needed. The fridge (or ice chest) is usually near the floor, above that you can build in a sliding cutting board to add shelf and work space. A utilitity drawer can slide both ways as well, just have locks on them as used in yachts or RVs.

You'll need a matress that you can fold out of the way. A small interior table can fold down from the wall. If you're like me and don't want to sit indian style all the time and you have enough head room, a seat can fold down from the opposite wall, just a few inches off the floor will help the back.
Along the bottom plate I plan on using a section of a 2X10 or 12 length ways to mount hinges for any fold down seat and have the ends framed in to the wall framing so that my 200+ rear end is not hanging on plywood or 2x2 frames. Walls will be 2 inches, plus a little depending on exterior cover with blue board foam insulation.

Overhead consoles can add storage as you have pictured, I have seen microwaves and TVs built in. I will have my HAM rig built in to pass the time inside with a fold down boom on the upper drivers side.

If you incorporate these pass throughs, the outside door needs to have a good seal to retain heat and air if you have it. You should be able to get good door seals at an automotive trim shop cheaper than an RV store and it's sold by the foot here.

I'm in the process of drawing mine up for my fall project. I'm hoping that I can keep the weight down, that is my problem, so may not be able to use many of the little things. 2x2s and foam with 3/8 and 1/4 ply is a common build instead of 1/2 and 3/4 ply and can be just as strong or stronger depending on your framing skills.

I'm old school which means my stuff is not CAD or on the computer and I have no way to post such things, sorry.

While that fuel niche looks cool, it takes away from what could be interior space and you're right, it adds to the difficulty of the build.

I'm thinking of having a battery box on the front, centered, fuel on the passenger side and water on the other side. Propane on the rear or up top on the rack, don't forget a rack. My portable gray/black water tank will mount on the rear and come off at the site. I'd also like a small solar panel to help charge the house battery, I don't think running solar to run the camp is practicle or efficiently economical at this time. The spare tire goes up top toward the front. A roof vent behind the spare tire, then a small rack toward the back. With that set up, I will need some weight in the kitchen area to off set the tounge weight, food and maybe a gen set on the back should do it.

I'm also thinking of running wiring through small PVC pipe to keep it neat and from being snagged. Two small spot lights front and rear on the top will help when getting to any site late at night.

Those are the main ideas I have for you to consider. I'd suggest you goggle "Teradrops & Tiny Trailers Forums", that seems to be "the" site for these builds with lots of ideas and some very cool trailers. There is an off road section as well!!!

Also, for framing techinques check out "Microcruising The Bahamas" there you should find some small boats that have sailed around the Horn. IMO, much tougher and stronger building techniques than any sheet plywood teardrop build. These boats have forces applied to them from all directions, unlike the limited forces of a trailer. Such framing will take longer, but you'll have a trailer for the rest of your life, something you kids can enjoy when you're gone!

Good luck to ya on your build!

Last edited:

Balzer

Adventurer
Might make it a bit harder to build, but I say keep the nook. Looks really cool and gives it a unique personal touch.

jzbilodeau

Might make it a bit harder to build, but I say keep the nook. Looks really cool and gives it a unique personal touch.

I agree it would have a personal touch and on a side note something was said about the propane tank earlier and yes the one on the trailer is oversized.

jzbilodeau

Ozarker, I really like some of the ideas, I think a opening into the back would be good idea and have it so you can access the cooler and some of the space, not necessarily everything. I really like the roll up door idea, you can actually buy a router bit set to make the parts the slide together and then have them sit in a grove and slide. I would like to have a built in stereo and a number of lights as well like you were saying. Some good ideas, thanks for the post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94