Is anyone hauling a moto on their adventure trailer?

ddog45

Adventurer
So last week I thought I could haul my xr650 on a moto tote on the back of my chaser trailer things went bad quick. Due to the bouncing of the trailer just going down the street it made the bike rock back and forth to the point that I thought the hitch would fall apart. Needless to say we didnt make it more than a few blocks without taking the bike off and making other plans. Has anyone taken the gas and water tanks off of their trailers and bult a tray on the front of the trailer or possibly figured out a better way to put a bike on the back.
I realize my moto trips may need to be kept seperate from my adventure trailer camping trips but I really like both toys.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I don't have an adventure trailer - but I did make a motorcycle rack to mount on my trailer front triangle in front of the box

Basicly a 2x2 slung underneath and 1/2" bolted to some mounts I welded on

either side of the frame had a 4" wide aluminum "wheel" seat

and on one side a front wheel stop.

Ramp up- bump across the frame and down into the front wheel seat.

I drove from Muscat to Qatar over two days with no issues. firmley secured

I remember taking pics of it but not sure where they are as I sold the mount with my bike bike in the middle east.

Honda 450X with desert tanks- for a weight comparison

Last edited:

cwsqbm

Explorer
So last week I thought I could haul my xr650 on a moto tote on the back of my chaser trailer things went bad quick.

I wonder if part of the problem was weight distribution. Trailers don't pull correctly unless you have some weight on the tongue. With a bike on the back, you may have had negative tongue weight. My parents rang into a similar problem with a bike on the back of a tent trailer. The short term solution ended up being coming home with a bunch of Colorado granite in the front of the trailer.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I have a similar plan. I may well go the route that GT posted above for my Transalp. My first thought is basically covering the trailer and putting everything on the sides and wheel the bike in on the ramp. But for those with tent trailers and such I'd probably go for a toung mount. 350+ pounds hanging off the back of any small trailer might be too much....and if anyone rear ends me, I'd rather they hit the trailer than my bike! :ylsmoke:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I wonder if part of the problem was weight distribution. Trailers don't pull correctly unless you have some weight on the tongue. With a bike on the back, you may have had negative tongue weight. My parents rang into a similar problem with a bike on the back of a tent trailer. The short term solution ended up being coming home with a bunch of Colorado granite in the front of the trailer.

My thought too.

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
You could mount it like we do on our trailers. Its a basic hitch mount that is modified to fit on the tongue of the trailer

225216_10150190234763050_259369998049_6959908_667724_n.jpg

227243_10150190253208050_259369998049_6960082_5676250_n.jpg

228028_10150190235963050_259369998049_6959919_2153906_n.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
By loading the bike on the back of the trailer you created negative tongue weight, which negatively effect the trailer performance to the point that it is dangerous. The rear 2" receiver is designed for light loads like a bike rack etc, the owners manual recommends no more than 150 lbs.

Placing the bike on the tongue of the trailer or on a bike carrier on the rear of the vehicle is better and doesn't produce the dangerous conditions you experienced.

And before anyone asks, no you can't put a quad on the top of an Adventure Trailer either :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz