RTT Mounting

Akecj7

Observer
So we are headed to Prescott to get our new roof rack and was wondering if there is an advantage to mounting our RTT at the front our the rear of the rack. Eventually would like to have fuel cans or water cans on the rack. I see the advantage with it in the front with fuel cans in the rear in case the fuel leaks. Any body have any mounted this way?

ExploringNH

Explorer
Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages.

Over the Front:

Pros: Smallest footprint when open, better front-rear weight distribution
Cons: Doesnt look as cool, no covered standing room under open tent, need to fab up a spot for the ladder to sit, have to stand on hood to close and open

It all comes down to your needs and preferences. My truck is very rear heavy and moving the tent further forward would have helped. In the end, I decided that having a covered area behind my truck was more valuable, so I mounted it to the rear.

A leaking fuel can shouldn't really be a concern. The covers on all the tents that I have seen will hold up to a little fuel being spilled on them, but really, if you are worried about your fuel cans leaking, you should find another type of fuel can. Ideally, the cans would also be mounted much lower. 10gal at 6-7lbs/gal is a fair amount of weight to be carrying up top, especially when added to the load of a roof top tent.

trump

Adventurist
For me it comes down to what would you like something to hit first. A metal/heavy plastic fuel can, or a vinyl/nylon/thin aluminum poled tent? Would be a much more costly mistake to damage the latter IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94