03 Tundra helton heater install

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I'm looking to do an OBS soon. I like the fittings your using as I already have all my other parts picked out. Just need to find hoses and fittings. I like the pressure washer hoses. Just the fittings are $$$

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Yep they are but with the brass air fittings I had a rust issue with the springs inside, and then sticking. Went to the SS fitting and never had a problem. The hoses are from W Mart and are simple air hoses, orange for hot and blue cold. Works fine for what I needed. I also removed the Danfoss valve, I have a water storage tank in the truck now so I just heat the water to the temp I need and go from there.

Last edited:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Other mod I did was I made up some hoses to run from the back of the truck to the trailer's water tank to heat that up if I have to in route to camp while driving.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Well this is a long term report. Helton is getting a workout, The quick Fists are the same ones I used in 2011 for the install and no problems yet. I really like my hot showers in the boonies!!!!

JCDriller

Adventurer
Well this is a long term report. Helton is getting a workout, The quick Fists are the same ones I used in 2011 for the install and no problems yet. I really like my hot showers in the boonies!!!!

Any reason you removed the mixing valve other than to simplify the system? Did it break or leak?

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
It really did not work the way I wanted. Now that I have a tank I just pump the water to the helton and back to the tank,when it reaches say 110 I close the valve and done.

jeegro

Adventurer
I just installed a 10 plate heat exchanger ($40 dudadiesel) and find it remarkable so far.. heats water to 110+ in a single pass with 1.5 gpm outflow. Square u-bolts bolted to the frame rail. Bonus - dropped my engine temp from ~206 idle to under 200

Still fiddling with the honeywell mixing valve. I modified the cap so that you don't have to unscrew the flat head to change the setting.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Long term report, same quick fists from June 2011. no cracks or problems with them or the Helton heater, All working to this day, best thing I have done for myself to provide a better way of keeping clean while camping.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Long term report, same quick fists from June 2011. no cracks or problems with them or the Helton heater, All working to this day, best thing I have done for myself to provide a better way of keeping clean while camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles