Thread: 03 Tundra helton heater install

Quote Originally Posted by jarmentrout View Post
    You guys must not live where it could freeze but I'll add a note to remind folks in the north to install with draining fresh water in mind.
    I live where it can and does freeze, hasn't been an issue with the heat exchanger themselves as any water inside the exchanger and engine side lines will have long since evaporated. However draining the other lines should be considered. I've not dealt with it on my setups in but I'm not worried about rubber hoses that are under 5' away from the engine.
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

I also have thought of that and that is why my system is drained out or I run some compressed air to get all the water out of the lines.
    O3 Tundra limited with ATTITUDE,extream outback compressor,Ham radios,Motorola XLT 5000 commerical VHF,UHF, lowband,800mgz radios with 100 watt pa system.Dual battries, ,KC daylighters,rock lights,RCD 6" lift,air chucks front and rear,tow truck jumper cables front and rear.CB radio for trail comm.Paramedic truma first aid kit,fire supression kit.09 horizon trailer,Warn 9000 winch. Helton heat exchanger,Lowrance chart plotter,David Clark head set for radios. KI6IGN.Baja design 30" light bar.

System is done.Kurt not a long turm report yet but all is working fine. The quick fist mounts are are doing their thing and hot water flows nice. It has been great taking showers in the sticks with hot water.
    O3 Tundra limited with ATTITUDE,extream outback compressor,Ham radios,Motorola XLT 5000 commerical VHF,UHF, lowband,800mgz radios with 100 watt pa system.Dual battries, ,KC daylighters,rock lights,RCD 6" lift,air chucks front and rear,tow truck jumper cables front and rear.CB radio for trail comm.Paramedic truma first aid kit,fire supression kit.09 horizon trailer,Warn 9000 winch. Helton heat exchanger,Lowrance chart plotter,David Clark head set for radios. KI6IGN.Baja design 30" light bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Borrego60 View Post
    System is done.Kurt not a long turm report yet but all is working fine. The quick fist mounts are are doing their thing and hot water flows nice. It has been great taking showers in the sticks with hot water.
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook

can anyone recommend what type of hose to use to plumb the water lines?
    4th Gen 4Runner T-Shirts - Buy Here: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18085

In all of our installs we used high pressure, high temp rubber hose, basically pressure washer hose. Its durable, rated for the heat yet more durable than your average heater hose (which holds up just fine too). Its sold by the foot at our local hose/rubber depots.
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit View Post
    In all of our installs we used high pressure, high temp rubber hose, basically pressure washer hose. Its durable, rated for the heat yet more durable than your average heater hose (which holds up just fine too). Its sold by the foot at our local hose/rubber depots.
    cant say ive ever heard of a hose depot, and doing a search in the bay area comes up with nothing...
    4th Gen 4Runner T-Shirts - Buy Here: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18085

Quote Originally Posted by TheJosh View Post
    cant say ive ever heard of a hose depot, and doing a search in the bay area comes up with nothing...
    Quick search came up with this:
    http://www.mossrubber.com/

Looks like they would have everything you need and more... In SLC we use either 'Evco House of Hose' or 'Hose & Rubber', both stock all the common hoses by the miles (literally)
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Join us on Facebook

I have to say this is one of the cleanest installs I have seen. Before this thread I did not know Helton offered different configurations for their heat exchangers. Being a craftsman having to pipe in all the connections to one side of the exchanger really turned me off. Since they offer different configurations a clean more professional install can be achieved. I just emailed Kurt to see if they had the one I needed. Thanks for posting your work.
    JK 2dr rubi Garage
    2000 F350 CC LWB 7.3 4x4
    2003 F550 6.0 4x4
    2006 R1
    1999 35' 5th wheel RV

^^^ Oh yea, got me one on the way. It just occured to me we need a "shower" smiley...
    JK 2dr rubi Garage
    2000 F350 CC LWB 7.3 4x4
    2003 F550 6.0 4x4
    2006 R1
    1999 35' 5th wheel RV

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast