03 Tundra helton heater install

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
It was not my idea of the Danfoss valve it was from another portal member. Underwiredadventures deserves the credit for that one in a post 3 pages back. I just tought I would try the idea,thats why I like the Portal everyone feeds off each other in one way or another. I will be testing it out at the Meet and Greet at Fiesta Island this weekend. I love the salt water but hate the water in mission bay if I go in. At least I can shower off the salt water and maybe soap up before we do some cooking.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Well recoverying slowly from the hip surgery,I did a little work on the plumbing of the helton heater outputs to the front bumper. I wanted it so I did not have to open up my hood to connect water lines. This is what I came up with,2 shut off valves for hot and cold. I will mount the other valves towards the rear of the truck,remember I have an input line from the back to the front. I want to do the same in the rear so I have an option of running from both ends. Still not done with the final plumbing but you get the idea.

Attachments

• DSC02517.JPG
    DSC02517.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC02516.JPG
    DSC02516.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Ok 99% done I just have to run the hot water line to the rear by the tailgate. Valves are in all tested good. No where by the tailgate to mount the valves for a clean look so under the hood for them. Finishing pictures.

DSC02518.JPGDSC02519.JPGDSC02520.JPGDSC02516.JPG

jarmentrout

Observer
You guys must not live where it could freeze but I'll add a note to remind folks in the north to install with draining fresh water in mind.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
You guys must not live where it could freeze but I'll add a note to remind folks in the north to install with draining fresh water in mind.

I live where it can and does freeze, hasn't been an issue with the heat exchanger themselves as any water inside the exchanger and engine side lines will have long since evaporated. However draining the other lines should be considered. I've not dealt with it on my setups in but I'm not worried about rubber hoses that are under 5' away from the engine.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I also have thought of that and that is why my system is drained out or I run some compressed air to get all the water out of the lines.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
System is done.Kurt not a long turm report yet but all is working fine. The quick fist mounts are are doing their thing and hot water flows nice. It has been great taking showers in the sticks with hot water.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
In all of our installs we used high pressure, high temp rubber hose, basically pressure washer hose. Its durable, rated for the heat yet more durable than your average heater hose (which holds up just fine too). Its sold by the foot at our local hose/rubber depots.

TheJosh

Explorer
In all of our installs we used high pressure, high temp rubber hose, basically pressure washer hose. Its durable, rated for the heat yet more durable than your average heater hose (which holds up just fine too). Its sold by the foot at our local hose/rubber depots.

cant say ive ever heard of a hose depot, and doing a search in the bay area comes up with nothing...

toymaster

Explorer
I have to say this is one of the cleanest installs I have seen. Before this thread I did not know Helton offered different configurations for their heat exchangers. Being a craftsman having to pipe in all the connections to one side of the exchanger really turned me off. Since they offer different configurations a clean more professional install can be achieved. I just emailed Kurt to see if they had the one I needed. Thanks for posting your work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles