1992 Chev excab over heating

fishingphoul

15 years ago I put a 9.5' Lance camper on the truck . I also added a transmission oil cooler to her and a over sized radiator this worked great for 10 years I then had to replace the radiator what I thought was a over sized was not . I was told I could no long get the over sized for a 92 Chev. Is there a way to just add another radiator to the radiator already there , by removing the grill and just leaving the grill off

Last edited:

corax

Explorer
I wouldn't connect one radiator to another, if that's what you're asking. Is your truck currently overheating, or are you afraid that it might start overheating? Have you tried checking out sites like SummitRacing.com or SpeedwayMotors.com for a performance radiator?

You could also use an oil cooler to remove some of the heat from the engine - there are simple "sandwich" adapters that mount between the oil filter and block that make it a relatively easy add on.

greg mgm

Explorer
Find a good rad shop that can set you up with a high density rad. (More closely spaces fins) Also, replace the fan clutch with a severe duty one, from a tow truck/ motorhome application. I did this on my 78 GMC 454 and could not overheat it afterwards.

fishingphoul

Thanks for ideas ... She only over over heats when under a lode or when pulling a long long MT. road . I was looking for a High Density Rad. that is what I had years ago but they are tailing me now that those are no longer available for a 92 Chev. .. Can't I just rework the Rad. mounts and put in a tow truck Rad. and fan ? Or would it be to cool working temps on the engine?

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I would get a second opinion on the radiator. I would think for a 92 Chevy you should be able to get a HD radiator still.

bfdiesel

Explorer
The thermostat will keep the engine hot.

I think the diesel radiators are bigger.

Is yours a big block or small block?

greg mgm

Explorer
You said it worked fine for 10 years, so obviously whatever rad and fan you had was OK. In other words, no need to go custom or bigger. I think you're getting bad info. Find another shop that can rebuild the rad that you have as a hi density rad. I had a shop in my area do that for my old truck. It could be that your rad is plugged or the fan clutch isn't locking when hot. Get those two items replaced a and you'll be good to go.

Is your fan clutch locking when hot? You'll know when it's working because the fan will be loud, pulling lots of air. That could be the problem with your truck. I had to replace the clutch in mine on occasion.

EDIT- Like BF Diesel said- The thermostat will keep the temps where they should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior