WV to CA too much to see in 3 to 4 weeks

OldYota

Observer
I have an oppertunity to take three to four weeks off from work. I was trying to come up with a memorable trip for the wife and four kids. We did a cross country trip in 06 and took an northern route ending in arches and the canyon lands. I was thinking of taking a southern route and trying to make it all the way to the coastal highway. As I'm planning it out it seems like there will be too many driving days in a row and not enough time to explore.

We'll be in a stock 4wd suburban so I dont plan on hitting any real trails, but it would be fun to hit some out of the way camping areas. The ages of the kids are 11,10,6,4. I'd like to so some hiking but were limited to about 2 to 3 miles per hike with the young kids.

I'm wondering if I sould skip California and spend all of the time in southern Utah, or maybe save the Grand Canyon for a time when we can explore it and just tour southern California? I could save some time if I push it the first couple days driving while everyone is still excited about heading out west. Maybe trying to cover 14 hours a day?

Were planning on leaving August 1st, I expect it wil be hot hot hot in the desert, but how hot? Maybe it would be much cooler further north like in yosemite??

Any ideas? comments??

heres my plan so far
Day 1: Drive to Fall Creek Falls, TN. (9 hours 45 min)
Day 2: Drive to Hot Springs AR (8 hours 21 min)
Day 3: Drive to Fitch, TX lake Meridith (9hours 49 min)
Day 4: Petrified forest Holebrook, AZ (8hrs 42 min)
Day 5: to Grand Canyon south rim (3 hours 42 min)
Day6: rest and explore
Day7: drive to la coast area
Day8: drive part way up coastal hwy
Day 11: beach day
Day 12: drive further up coastal hwy
Day 13: make way over to Yosemite
Day14: explore
Day15: explore
Day 16: drive to sequoia and camp
Day 17: drive to Death Valley and explore
Day 18: drive to red rock canyon
Day 19: drive to Zion national park
Day20: drive to Bryce
Day 21: explore grand staircase
Day22: explore
Day23: start heading home
Day 24 head home
Day 25 head home

haven

Expedition Leader
You're right, it will be hot hot hot in the latter stages of your itinerary. Death Valley NP will be around 115 in early August. Red Rock NCA and Valley of Fire SP will be a few degrees "cooler," but still hot enough to give you heatstroke after a half hour walk. It can be very hot at the lower elevations in Zion NP as well. Grand Staircase/Escalante won't be as hot, maybe low 90s.

Unless you and your family really like sitting in the car for hours on end, I'd suggest heading for a closer destination. From West Virginia, it's a two day drive to the Black Hills, the shores of Lake Superior, or the Maine coast. It's a shorter drive to the coast at North or South Carolina. These destinations will give you lots of time to explore and take it easy. And you'll save $1000 in gas by driving fewer miles.

maxingout

Adventurer
If you are going to do the southern route, I would do the trip in late September or early October when it is cooler. It would be much more enjoyable in the lower temperatures. In Phoenix we have been having temperatures over 110 degrees.

If the vacation had to happen in August, I would fly to Vancouver, rent a car, and spend the twenty five days in British Columbia and Alberta. I did a six week trip across Canada that was beautiful at that time of year.

I would also consider the Northeast and up into Maine - another beautiful area if I wanted to do a driving trip.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I would stay away from alot of the southern US during August due to the heat, unless I was going to be on the water. Stick more to the northen states/Canada in August. I would also be realistic on just how many hours a day my wife and kids could stand to be in the car on your family vacation. You might want to scale back your driving hours each day. If you do make it out to the west coast the northern CA and southern OR coasts are great that time of year.

morrisster

Adventurer
That is a TON of driving. I would personally skip Southern California unless you are really dying to get there. I would head from grand canyon straight to yosemite via your other waypoints, hit the UT stuff and take 70 home

OldYota

Observer
humm somehow in all the cutting and paseing I lost days 9 and 10

I got thinking maybe you guys are right and it will be too hot/far to be enjoyable. I started researching a trip up to Prince edward island stopping at mostly places in Maine. But The last time I was in Canada it was before 9/11 and I didn't need a passport, so I dont have one. I was searching around and I guess my kids would need passports too? Not sure I can get them in the next three weeks. Maybe I'll call this a plan B or a good trip for next year. If I chicken out of going out west we can tour as far north as Maine, and it looks like theres plenty to do there.

I reworked to travel plan a little skipping the Coastal areas. I left myself as many as 7 days I can add anywhere I want while on the trip.

Day 1: Drive to Fall Creek Falls, TN. (9 hours 45 min)
Day 2: Drive to Hot Springs AR (8 hours 21 min)
Day 3: Drive to Fitch, TX lake Meridith (9hours 49 min)
Day 4: Petrified forest Holebrook, AZ (8hrs 42 min)
Day 5: to Grand Canyon south rim (3 hours 42 min)
Day6: rest and explore
Day7: explore north rim
Day 8: through Vegas to red rock
Day 9: death valley
Day 10: camp in Sequoias
Day11: drive to Yosemite
Day 12: explore
Day 13: explore
Day 14: drive across Nevada
Day 15: explore Zion
Day 16: explore Bryce
Day17: explore
Day 18: explore grand staircase
Day19: head home
Day20: start heading home
Day 21: head home

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Yeah you will need passports for the whole family, kids included. Three weeks is probably not enough time to get them. If I was still determined to come west I would probably blast straight out to the Pacific in as short a time as possible and then take a nice slow drive up the Pacific Coast Highway. Temperatures will be much better on the ocean than in Arizona or the Mojave desert. You could actually make a big loop and use the Interstate highways to make the drive here and back as quick as possible. But that is still alot:Wow1: of driving.

OldYota

Observer
We have an Auto trian here where you can load your car up and ride a train with it down to Flordia, is there such a thing for heading out west??

maine is great. i hope to go again someday. but, if your going from wv to maine, don't do it in one day. the last time we went we drove straight threw. something like 16 hours. especially if you have kids.

OldYota

Observer
I've got only a couple weeks left till I have an opportunity to take off from work for a couple weeks. I was kind of waiting to see if there would be a cold snap or something but I doubt that will happen.

Looks like I'll be takeing the northern route, havent quite got a plan yet but we'll be spending a few days at acadia.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I realize this is an old thread and you've already traveled, but it's late and I'm awake . . .

This critique is more for "the next guy." I'm glad you did the Northern trip, as I think the trip out west may have been a bit too ambitious. I think it is important to keep expectations in check and try not to do too much. For instance, spending three days in Yosemite is great. Sure you could spend a week there, but three days in a place like Yosemite would be plenty of time to see some great sights at a relaxing pace (and save some for another trip!).

But then something like days 14-17 where you drive to/through NV and spending 3 days in both Bryce and Zion is a bit ambitious.

Having driven across the country numerous times, I think it is a good idea to use some days to simply cover mileage. They won't be fun (do what you can to help the kiddies), bit it may buy you time at actual destinations. But when you get to a destination, STOP. Unwind a bit. Enjoy that place at your own pace, not some arbitrary schedule.

A friend used to say "take the trip, don't let the trip take you." You take the trip for the enjoyment of it, not to check off boxes that you went to place A, B, C, D . . . I'd rather have only visited place A and enjoyed it than be able to say I've been to A, B, C, and D.

I'm guessing your revised trip was a lot more than just checking boxes! I hope you enjoyed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles