My CDN M101 build

BrianTN

Adventurer
I will be very very slowly working on my new trailer that I picked up from an ExPo member. It's a Canadian M101 and is in pretty good shape, just some mild rust as far as I can tell. What I'm planning on doing is making it into a cross between utility trailer and off road trailer. I doubt that I will be adding anything like a fridge, kitchen setup or tent. Who knows though, I would like to have a trailer with those amenities, but it'll be a while.

Here is a picture when I bought it:
l0ZcD8x

The mods currently planned are:
-change hubs, wheels and tires to the same as on my Tundra (after I change the tires on my Tundra to 285/75/16)
-spring over conversion
-beadblast and refinish it
-linex the bed
-toolbox on the tongue for trailer supplies (lunette lock, chain, etc)
-tailgate?

So I'm not planning on anything too crazy. This build will take about 53 years to complete, so expect updates every year or so :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

jkce72

Observer
Nice. Maybe you can hire some of the work out to achieve a quicker completion date. Just a thought,lol.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Nice find, good luck with it.

Always enjoy how often we all see the same thing, and how the end products are never alike......love it!

Pat

BrianTN

Adventurer
My first mod: toolbox!

I wanted some lockable storage and thought a 20mm ammo can would work well. I bolted it down with 2 rectangular shaped U bolts. Nothing fancy, but it seems pretty solid. The only thing I need to do is trim the extra length from the bolts. I left about 12" between the ammo can and bed as I was thinking of putting a spare tire there.

To make the ammo can lockable, I added 2 eye bolts through the hinges for padlocks.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 29, 9 55 48.jpg
    Photo Jul 29, 9 55 48.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Photo Jul 29, 9 55 33.jpg
    Photo Jul 29, 9 55 33.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 58

greentruck

Adventurer
If you're going with 33" tires, they will fit without the spring-over. That's the largest diameter tire that will do so with the M101 CDN stock configuration.

That will not solve the fender width issue, though. If your state is one that requires covering the tire with the fender, then you'll need to make wider fenders for just about any tire that wider than the skinny stock tires.

BTW, if those tires are the one's the trailer came with, you'd be wise to check the date code on the tires. They may have been changed out in military service, but if not, then they're pushing 20 years old. Dry rot, etc make them really iffy from what I've heard.

Congrats on your purchase. These are great little trailers that will hold their value.

BrianTN

Adventurer
BTW, if those tires are the one's the trailer came with, you'd be wise to check the date code on the tires. They may have been changed out in military service, but if not, then they're pushing 20 years old. Dry rot, etc make them really iffy from what I've heard.

Good point about dry rot and something I did think of. I didn't think of checking for a date code, which I will do later today. Just eyeing the tires though, they look ok to me.

BrianTN

Adventurer
So I'm now looking into the axle swap. Some thoughts I have are taking a rear axle from a wrecked first gen Tundra that matches my truck. This would allow me to carry some spare parts. I doubt I'd need them, but would be good to have. Or I was going to go somewhere like Dexter and have them make an axle the same width as my truck, add some electronic brakes that will still allow me to use the stock parking brake. I feel like the latter option would be cheaper and possibly lighter. Anyone have thoughts on these two option?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
#2 new axle built with brakes and exact width to match the wheels you choose .
Matching the truck width may be too wide.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Looks like the width difference is 15.2" (M101 60", Tundra 75.2"). Think that is too wide? I'll certainly need some new fenders.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That is a big width difference and may look odd with the wheels hanging out from the tub.
Back spacing could reduce the look and pull the wheels in. You would need wide fenders too.
I would go for a custom axle with the correct flange to flange width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior