Want to ride ,never have before, where to start?

Wander

Expedition Leader
As the title says I'm a total newb to motorcycles but I'd love to do an adventure ride in 5 or so years. Where do you start as a 40 year old father to learn to ride and eventually get to the point that you can handle a big ADV type bike. Some background, I raced road bikes (pedal kind) from 13-20 and still ride so I hope that will help me but I know it will be totally different with that much more power and weight. The dream is to do an extended, possibly even cross country ride. Silly question....all of the ADV type bikes I see look really tall and I see there are several saddle heights listed on the sites but the shortest I see is about 33 inches, what does someone with a 30 inch inseam do to be able to put down their feet at a light?

Last edited:

trailsurfer

Explorer
Started riding 4 years ago with no experience on a moto. First step is to take the Motorcycle Safety Course, which is the most important step. Once completed, get your license and start test riding bikes (friends, dealers, etc...).

Buy a used small engine (650 CC or less) dual sport, buy the best gear ( armored jacket, pants, and moto boots) and start riding. :bike_rider:

Pest

Adventurer
Is it very realistic to get a dual sport and ride 2 up with small backpacks on rough four wheel drive roads?

Is it very realistic to get a dual sport and ride 2 up with small backpacks on rough four wheel drive roads?

Not really.

Dump the backpacks for soft panniers, do it on a BIG dual sport, and have your pillion be of small stature and it's possible on anything but the most difficult 4x4 road.

Not that it's impossible, just that it's nearly unbearable.

Buy a used small engine (650 CC or less) dual sport, buy the best gear ( armored jacket, pants, and moto boots) and start riding. :bike_rider:

I suggest something in the 250-400 area. In fact, I almost wish I had a 400 for everything I don't do on the street.

Saw a plated Suzuki DRZ400 today... I rode past it 8 times on my DL650 before I got the balls to ride right up to it and take a good hard look at it.

Suzuki 400... :drool:

sandalscout

Adventurer
I suggest something in the 250-400 area. In fact, I almost wish I had a 400 for everything I don't do on the street.

I completely agree with this. Starting with a small bike like that is a great way to see what you like, don't like, and allows you to grow into the bike much easier. I'm so glad I started "small".

trailsurfer is dead one with his suggestion of an MSF class. They can be a good way to see what you might like to ride as well. I did my class on a DR200. I had been planning on getting a 650cc bike, but after I rode the 200 for the class, I realized that a 650 was probably going to be too big for me. Getting on an XR650L at the dealership proved that quickly.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Hmmmm, let's see . . . I started riding at 40 (I'm 43 now). Raced bikes from 14-22. Have a 30" inseam . . . Maybe we're long lost twins?

I took a local MSF course that also included getting the Motorcycle endorsement. I figured it was a good way to figure out if I would really like riding, even though the MSF course is entirely in a parking lot. I guess I liked it because I bought a DRZ a few weeks later. A year later I sold it and bought the XChallenge and recently added a K75.

To answer some of your questions:
I don't think there are a lot of similarities with road bicycling, a bit more with mountain biking.

Seat height isn't a huge deal. I'm 5'8", and even as a new rider you get used to the seat heights on even uber-tall bikes. However, I have dropped both my dual sports (at a stop) due to the seat height. Frankly, I can think of one occasion when I really needed my suspension travel. So if you don't need an aggressive dual sport, you may be far happier with a more road worthy dual sport.

While I agree you shouldn't go out and buy a 1000cc crotch rocket as a new rider, I don't think you should get 250cc bike unless that is what you want. There are a lot of factors that come into play (power, weight, height) and displacement is not always directly related to those. For instance, riding my 500 pound, 60Hp K75 is far easier than riding my 320 pound, 30hp DRZ. Likewise, a DR200 is not too similar to a WR250.

For the type of riding you describe, you'd probably be far happier with a DR650 rather than a DRZ or WR250. All are great bikes, but I'd rather travel cross the country loaded up on a DR650 than a WR. It will likely be an easier bike to learn on than WR or DRZ.

Lastly, buy a used bike. Your first bike won't be your last bike. Whatever riding you envision doing now probably won't be what you actually end up doing once ride a bit.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anybody riding 2up on a really rough road.

Even if you did it once, I'd be willing to bet your passenger wouldn't volunteer to do it twice. ;)

If you want to ride on rough roads your choice is to get your passenger her/his own bike, or get a side x side 4 wheeler that can accomodate 2 people.

dhally

Hammerhead
I've got a little different slant on learning to ride a big adventure bike. Probably influenced by my own riding history.

I feel it is best to get thoroughly proficient at dirt riding FIRST, before worrying about big bikes, licenses, and luggage. The best way to do this is to get a small dirt bike and best the living crap out of it, on actual dirt. If you are short get a short bike. The smaller bike isn't as intimidating, so you'll try more things. It's easy to pick up and more crashworthy, so you won't be holding back for fear of dumping it. And they are cheap so you won't be holding back for fear of repair bills.

The dirt skills gained will pay big dividends once you get the big bike. The most important skill is being able to handle surfaces with varying traction. People who learn on pavement generally can handle only two surfaces - wet and dry pavement.

I have ridden with several newish riders on big ADV bikes, and every one of them was tentative on gravel roads or any kind of rough terrain. Tentative isn't enjoyable, and causes crashes, which aren't as good with a big loaded up ADV bike. Nobody wants to explore the limits of traction on a big heavy bike.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I've got a little different slant on learning to ride a big adventure bike. Probably influenced by my own riding history.

I feel it is best to get thoroughly proficient at dirt riding FIRST, before worrying about big bikes, licenses, and luggage. The best way to do this is to get a small dirt bike and best the living crap out of it, on actual dirt. If you are short get a short bike. The smaller bike isn't as intimidating, so you'll try more things. It's easy to pick up and more crashworthy, so you won't be holding back for fear of dumping it. And they are cheap so you won't be holding back for fear of repair bills.

The dirt skills gained will pay big dividends once you get the big bike. The most important skill is being able to handle surfaces with varying traction. People who learn on pavement generally can handle only two surfaces - wet and dry pavement.

I have ridden with several newish riders on big ADV bikes, and every one of them was tentative on gravel roads or any kind of rough terrain. Tentative isn't enjoyable, and causes crashes, which aren't as good with a big loaded up ADV bike. Nobody wants to explore the limits of traction on a big heavy bike.

I agree whole heartily. I was fortunate enough that my dad gave into my brother and I nagging him for a dirt bike as young teenagers. We learned on a friend's Yamaha GT80. His dad was quite older than his mom and had about 40 years riding experience and gave us A LOT of great tips that I remember to this day. He rode cross country into his 80's. I believe you really need to get a smaller bike and push its limits. It will help you not panic when you get in a bad situation. You want your reactions to be natural and not have to stop and think about what needs to be done.

walkstx

Two types of dual sports

The answer to "where to start?" is, like others wrote, is to get a bike and ride.

Safety
In Texas one can get out of the actual motorcycle license driving test (where the state trooper follows you while you ride) by taking the Motorcycle Safety Course, plus you can get a discount on insurance. So, there are some additional reasons to take it.

Bike
I see the world of dual sport bikes as having three "classes":

(1) dirt bikes with head/tail lights (Yamaha WR250, XT250, Honda XR650, CRF230, BMW G450, etc.) a.k.a. "enduros," light weight (more or less), great on dirt, not something you want to ride across the country on (which will be mostly highway anyway).

(2) street bikes with knobbies or the "overlanders" (Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki Vee-Strom 650/1000, BMW 1200GS, Yamaha Tenere) i.e. bigger, faster on the highway, more comfortable on the highway, can load with lots of stuff.

(3) wanna be dual sports (Ducati Multistrada 1200, Buell Ulysses, etc.).

Of course there are many other bikes and everyone has their opinion, I think buying one depends on the type of riding you think you'll do. If you are going to knock around back roads on a Saturday afternoon and all you need is a bottle of water and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich the first class (enduros) of bikes are great. If you want to ride hard off road and jet back home on the street, then the first class (enduros) are great.

If you want to ride more than a few hours to your destination, which will likely be mostly pavement, and you want to carry your sleeping bag and tent and a few days worth of food, etc., then one of the larger bikes (overlanders) would be good.

I started out with a Kawasaki KLR 650. (Actually, started with a Honda 50 back in 1975 and went up from there.) I rode the KLR into Mexico from Texas a few times, rode it around local dirt roads, etc. locally, but found it rough commuting to work (45 miles one way). I "upgraded" to a Suzuki Vee-Strom 1000 (too large as a starter bike!), then downgraded to a Suzuki Vee-Strom 650. I commute on the 650 and ride twin track out in the Texas Big Bend region every year (8 hours of pavement to get there). And, I carry all my camping gear and fuel for a week. That's how I got started anyway.

This might work for you too. Mid-size street/dirt worthy bike like a KLR650 or BMW Dakar 650 (single cylinder "thumper") to start, then up from there or stick with that type of bike. A buddy of mine rode a KLR from San Antonio to the Darian Gap, then two years later rode the same KLR from SA to Tierra del Fuego. Another muddy of mine rode a BMW Dakar 650 around the world (7 years)(no prior bike experience). So, the big ***, heavy bikes aren't needed unless that's your gig. I ride on the street more than the dirt, so I like the twin-v Vee-Strom.

Whatever you do. Get a used bike like others have suggested and start riding. Ride on dirt, ride on dirt/gravel/mud roads, ride on the street. Ride it all. But just ride. When you're ready. Pack it up with some bags (hard or soft [everyone has an opinion on these too]) and head out for an overnight, then two nights out, then cross the state line, then.......

It's like Nike, man...Just Do It.
(Oh, good gear is essential. Be waterproof and warm in the winter.)

And check out Horizons Unlimited...they're coming to you!
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/meetings/USAEast2011.php
Great way to check it all out before you commit.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I started riding at 30 for a comute to work- wanted a 1000cc crotch rocket

took the advise of my neighbor and a 600 was sufficient

Scared the F out of me every day for 6 months- 60mph windy country road to work

look down and I'm overtaking at 125mph
-
Thought I was good -almost went off a cliff in Andorra when I lost my concentration for a second

Luckily got transfered overseas before I killed myself and sold the bike.

Next bike Honda CRF 450X big enduro off roading on gravel and sand

-Re- learnt ALL the lessons learnt on the crotch rocket

be one with the bike - changed to stand up ignore whats happening below

Two major things stand out from my past.

1 take a course- pay extra to get more time - the lessons learned are invaluable

2 The road is easy - go take a dirt bike course- blast across your nearest desert - on an enduro type bike

get used to the bike going sideways and loosing traction on the front

Go back to the road add a few lbs of bike and its easy peasy.

3 Buy the best protective gear you can- actually this should be first- listen to experienced riders- they already know what works.

Mind you don't buy from them- see what their wearing----the experienced chap usually sells off the gear that does not work.

4 Off road the slinky 5" high boots don't work- get the stiffest most supportive boots you can find- can't walk for crap but you can ride standing up for hours !

trailsurfer

Explorer
First bike was a BMW 650GS, graduated to a BMW 1200 GSA within 2 weeks. The 1200 was actually easier and more comfortable for me to ride. Get the bike you are comfortable with.

My one suggestion for new riders is to get a bike with ABS. ABS can make up for a lot of potential new, and experienced rider "issues" (panic stops, wet road braking, etc...)

squeezer

Adventurer
First bike was a BMW 650GS, graduated to a BMW 1200 GSA within 2 weeks. The 1200 was actually easier and more comfortable for me to ride. Get the bike you are comfortable with.

My one suggestion for new riders is to get a bike with ABS. ABS can make up for a lot of potential new, and experienced rider "issues" (panic stops, wet road braking, etc...)

I think you might be the exception here... If a person truly wants to do some adventure type riding you need to build skills in the dirt. Those skills can only happen by pushing the limits of tires and terrain and those limits can only be found by laying a bike down a few times, going high side a few times, and having the bike shoot out from underneath you a few times. Buy a rat dirt bike and learn what makes it crash... Wear the gear and just get comfy covering tough terrain.

Parallel to this is a Motorcycle Safety class, street ridding is not so much about the bike as it is about the cars around you. Learning how to stay alive on the pavement takes time and not something you want to learn from your own mistakes...

Learn from your own mistakes in the dirt, learn from others mistakes on the road...

What bike you get on is a matter of taste and budget. I think two bikes, one dirt and one street, might be cheaper overall than a nice dual sport that you end up beating up during the learning phase then replace when you realize you NEED a GS...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne