Another new Dodge CTD guy

03humpalot

Howdy folks.

I have been lurking here for a few days as information i was looking for in ref: to mods on Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesels kept pointing me to this forum. AWESOME collection point for information on this forum.

A little about myself,
i am a former Marine and oconus security contractor with just over 9 years spent overseas. Im back stateside now and hang my hat in Montana but am currently working in PA.

Currently outfitting a 2006 Dodge 2500 CTD for mostly overland trips to hunting destinations and general get out of Dodge (pun intended) weekend trips. Truck is also my daily driver and im trying to make the rig last with usefull mods for my situation (Not turning it into a rock crawler for example).

My rig is stock with the exception of a Du-ha underseat storage box, Tiregate VT with fullsize spare (Nitto terragrappler 285-R70-17's) another full size spare in the stock location, having a transfer flow 40 gallon combo toolbox/fuel tank installed today, aftermarket Garmin GPS system, safari rack is on the way here, custom front bumper from Dougs custom shop in Kila Montana with a Warn winch up front, and onyx bedliner.

Future plans are a Kore suspension system,rear bumper with recovery points, bedlining the interior, and some front end upgrades as time funds permit.

Thanks much for having me and i look forward to learning from you guys and contributing when i can.
Buck

Boz

Observer
First, thank you for your service in the military. Second, excellent choice in truck sir. I've got 130k on my 06 and havent had any major issues (that I havent caused lol). But I must say, skip Kore and go Carli or Thuren. Kore hasnt done anything special since they introduced themselves years ago. Carli and Thuren are constantly updating their product and their customer service is second to none.

03humpalot

Appreciate the word on Kore and the welcome fellas. A few pics of the rig so far (Just got the Transfer Flow tank in).
tiregate3.jpg

cimg0153k.jpg

cimg0172k.jpg

cimg0163qs.jpg

cimg0169r.jpg

cimg0167x.jpg

cimg0166z.jpg

Stoney126

Adventurer
How many miles do you have on the Truck? Are you the original owner. I ask As I work for dodge And I see a lot of new to them trucks that have not been maintained, I.E. Fuel filter is wayy over due for a change and the gear oil looks like tar. I cant remember off the top of my head but does this truck have the in tank lift pump?

03humpalot

Im about to hit 50k miles, im the second owner but bought it from a buddy with 3k miles on it for 18k off the sticker price. I am religious about maintaining it. Yes it has the in tank lift pump.

03humpalot

Thanks Boz, when i went down to meet the shop owner to discuss what i wanted another Dodge CTD owner was down there getting some add ons to his. A few weeks prior he had center punched a bull moose at 55mph. IIRC it bent one of the tie rods and the truck was still drivable...i was sold. Its a little big for most folks needs but after narrowly missing 3 Big Horn sheep and driving through a herd of Elk crossing the highway at about 65 MPH on a curve i decided to pull the trigger. Animal strikes are a huge issue up where i live and i always seem to find the big ones ;)

Spencinator

Adventurer
03humpalot, I just installed Kore suspension on my 98.5 Dodge and love it. I read many reviews and found a lot of bad talk about Kore. Did more research and found complaints about a stiff ride and bad costumer service. Im sure all the suspension systems are great but Kore was in my price range and after doing my research I found that complaints of poor customer service may have happened because of the guys in the Kore shop were out racing. I have talked with them on many occasions and had great service. I love the suspension and am overall happy. As far as Kore not coming out with anything new since they introduced themselves, search Ram Runner. They race in many different classes and have Baja wins. Kinda hard to look past that. Do your research and find what best fits you. Good lookin truck!!

03humpalot

Appreciate the word spencinator. I have been pouring through reviews on Kore/Thuren/Lorenz/and Carli kits and as with a lot of things on the internet, there is a whole lot of trash talk which usually comes from guys who havent used any of the products they are bashing it seems.

Right now im leaning heavilly towards a Lorenz suspension with their upgraded coils for heavy duty front bumpers, however i have ridden in a 3rd gen cummins with a Kore kit installed and was very impressed as well. I plan on doing a lot more research before pulling the trigger on anything.

The shop that installed my tank here yesterday is a REALLY nice place with what appear to be some very good/knowledgeable employees so i will probably have a bunch of the work performed there as my current work schedule and lack of tools and bigger lack of fabrication skill keep me from moving forward as fast as i would like on this pig.

Thanks kindly for the experienced word, it is much appreciated.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Lorenz's 23% stiffer front coils will probably work well with the bumper. I believe he's steering away from Sway a Way shocks due to corrosion problems.

Thuren and Carli do afford great customer service as well as Lorenz. My truck's a mutt with Lorenz minipaks and Thuren 3" coils and specially valved Kings. His trackbar is a beefcake also. Carli LT airbags have served me well for 4+ yrs now without a hitch.

Lots of stuff out there,so do your homework and do it right the first time.

All it takes is lots of dough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles